U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite mountain range?
Southern Appalacians (Blue Ridge) - GA, NC, TN, KT, VA, WV 27 17.76%
Catskills - NY 5 3.29%
Adirondacks - NY 13 8.55%
Northern Appalacians (New England) - MA, VT, NH, ME, CT, NY, PA, NJ 19 12.50%
Ozarks - AR 8 5.26%
Rockies - CO, WY, MT, UT, ID 57 37.50%
Cascades - WA, OR, CA 41 26.97%
Olympics - WA 17 11.18%
Sierra Nevada - CA, NV 34 22.37%
Other (specify) 13 8.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:56 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,909,375 times

Advertisements

All these mountains are great. Many of them like the Northern Appalachians, the Southern Appalachians and the Sierra Nevada of California are EXACTLY where people need them, thank God!

In my opinion the Rockies are the most dramatic (especially the Teton Range) but the Cascades have the most beautiful countryside around them. The Ozarks are the least known, probably followed by the rain forest like Olympics. In the east, I love the history and the local culture of the Berkshires, the Catskills, the Greens, the Smokies, the Adirondacks and the Blue Ridge.

One thing I still don't understand is why the OP separated the NY Mountains (Catskills and Adirondacks) from the Northern Appalachians. While technically the Adirondacks are part of the "Canadian Shield", they are usually grouped with the other Northeastern mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 10:30 PM

47 posts, read 103,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Sierra's are in CA, have the name recognition, and is the tallest. It's one of the youngest as well so is still growing, unlike the crumbling Rockies.
The Sierra's are beautiful, but the Colorado Rockies are technically the tallest in the continental US in terms of a range. Despite Whitney being barely taller than Elbert, there are 54 fourteeners in Colorado vs 13 in California. But of course in terms of Topographic Prominance the Pacific Ranges appear taller because they begin at a much lower elevation.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I enjoy any mountains where I'm at the lowest altitude looking up at the highest altitude.

Seeing Mt. Rainier at sea level is an awesome site. Near 0 to 14,000+feet.
There are spots around Death Valley, Eastern Sierra's where you can get that low altitude/high altitude view. Or in Los Angeles, on a clear day, looking up at Mt. Baldy. Or even here in Las Vegas at 2165' looking up at Mt. Charleston at 11,950'. Reno and Salt Lake City suffer, again, from too much altitude 4000+ for the surrounding mountains to be really spectacular.

With Denver, you're already up at 5,280, so the mountains don't look that grand. If Denver or Colorado Springs both were at lower altitudes, the surrounding mountains would be breath-taking. Same with Albuquerque at 5000 feet and the Sandia Mountains.

Most awesome of all that I've seen is Mt. Anaconcagua in Chile at 22,800 feet and seeing it, on a rare clear day minus Santiago smog, from the coast or from Mendoza, on the other side of the range. How on earth can you forget a sight like that! Never!
I still think the mountains in CO,UT are incredible. Best in my opinion! In fact most mountain peaks in the Continental US don't rise more than 5,000 feet off the ground really anywhere, except of course for the ones you listed plus Mt. Whitney, Pikes Peak, Mt Shasta, Mount Elbert and maybe 10 others.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:19 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,321,516 times
Rockies!

Old 10-02-2009, 05:43 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,051,512 times
I've been to, and like 'em all, but voted Adirondacks--sentimental favorite!

I hiked a small, little-known range last year for the first time--the Porcupines in MI's Upper Peninsula. Just gorgeous!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:41 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,484,876 times
Took a trip up to the High Sierra yesterday, snapped this pick (actually, it's a series of photographs stitched together to form a panorama). It was snowing something fierce for a while (especially through Hope Valley), but let up long enough to cross Carson Pass (and back again).
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite mountain ranges-mountainpanorama.jpg  

Old 10-06-2009, 05:29 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,550,391 times
I'm just going to pick other because I love all mountains.....coming from an extremely flat state, I appreciate all of them!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:09 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,612,322 times
Not sure if these are considered part of the Rockies - I think maybe not - but I loved the Bitterroots and the Saphires in Montana. Because I live in New England all of those mountain ranges out West seem HUGE.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Not sure if these are considered part of the Rockies - I think maybe not - but I loved the Bitterroots and the Saphires in Montana. Because I live in New England all of those mountain ranges out West seem HUGE.
Yes the mountains in Montana are part of the Rockies!

Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 PM

2,789 posts, read 5,311,072 times
I haven't seen the Rockies yet but I have been to the Yosemite park in CA and I was amazed by the Sierras. Much better than anything we have here in the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or