U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite mountain range?
Southern Appalacians (Blue Ridge) - GA, NC, TN, KT, VA, WV 27 17.76%
Catskills - NY 5 3.29%
Adirondacks - NY 13 8.55%
Northern Appalacians (New England) - MA, VT, NH, ME, CT, NY, PA, NJ 19 12.50%
Ozarks - AR 8 5.26%
Rockies - CO, WY, MT, UT, ID 57 37.50%
Cascades - WA, OR, CA 41 26.97%
Olympics - WA 17 11.18%
Sierra Nevada - CA, NV 34 22.37%
Other (specify) 13 8.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:07 PM

3,677 posts, read 8,848,273 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite mountain ranges in the United States? Mine would be the Southern Appalacians, Cascades, Rockies, and the Sierras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 08:45 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,986,984 times
I dont know where you went to school but North and Central New Mexico's mountains are apart of the Rockies.. I found it funny you put Utah and not New Mexico..

Old 10-06-2008, 09:32 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,727,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
I dont know where you went to school but North and Central New Mexico's mountains are apart of the Rockies.. I found it funny you put Utah and not New Mexico..
That's correct-- the Sangre de Cristo range goes into New Mexico. Utah's part of the Rocky Mountains too with the Wasatch range. My favorite part of the Rocky Mountains are the San Juan mountains in southwestern Colorado. They are simply out of this world. Next favorite is the Front Range (Pike's Peak to Mt Evans to Long's Peak)-- not only are they big and bad, but they're practically in my back yard-- less than an hour drive from Denver. Also I love the Sangre de Cristo range of southern Colorado and northern NM.

I love the Rocky Mountains the best first and foremost, being from Denver, but there's also another thing I like, but not listed on this page. Sky islands in the southwest-- individual isolated mountain ranges, part of the basin and range topography, with high mountains rising sharply above vast desert valleys. Examples include Albuquerque's Sandia Mtns, Tucson's Catalina Mountains, Las Cruces' Organ Mtns, Vegas' Spring Mountains (most known for Mt. Charleston), and even Los Angeles' San Gabriel Mtns. Each of these are really unique places with rapid changes in climate and vegetation as you progress up in elevation.

While technically a plateau and not a mountain, I like the Mogollon Rim of northern Arizona (of which the Grand Canyon cuts right through). The largest ponderosa pine forest in the world is actually in Arizona, believe it or not.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 PM

3,677 posts, read 8,848,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
I wasn't sure about AZ and NM. I never heard the Grand Canyon as associated as part of the Rockies, nor the mountains of AZ or NM. After looking it up on Wiki, I see that the Rockies include NM but not AZ. I would also appreciate not getting slammed on these boards and labeled as uneducated just over some minor error.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,986,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I wasn't sure about AZ and NM. I never heard the Grand Canyon as associated as part of the Rockies, nor the mountains of AZ or NM. After looking it up on Wiki, I see that the Rockies include NM but not AZ. I would also appreciate not getting slammed on these boards and labeled as uneducated just over some minor error.
Well i was just shocked NM wasnt there, because everyone always leaves it out.. i'm like wtf?! sorry.. i just was supprised..its actually not as minor as you think it is. I really didnt know about arizona..?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:24 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,727,189 times
No part of Arizona is in the Rocky Mountains. The northern and northeastern part of the state is part of the Colorado Plateau (think red rocks country-- Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Sedona, etc), and the southern and western part is part of the basin and range geological province, with vast flat valleys and steep sharp mountains rising above.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,196,811 times
The Northern Appalacians, Southern Appalacians and Sierra Nevada mountains.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:55 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,754,092 times
Northern Appalachians.

Also, half of the Ozarks are in Missouri.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:08 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,518,226 times
My favorites aren't on the list --
the Brooks Range
the Chugach Mountains
the Wrangell Mountains
and the Alaska Range, which includes Denali, the highest mountain in North America at 20,320 ft.

I grew up near the lovely Berkshires in Connecticut. I guess the list included the Berkshires in the Appalachians?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:18 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,975,177 times
For the record, NY, NJ, and PA are not part of New England.

Although I did grow up here, I never fail to be moved by the Appalachians of New England. They may not be as grandiose as the mountains out west, but there is a very distinct beauty in the soft contours of the Appalachians and the vibrant colors of the mixed forest that covers the entire range, be it the lush green of summer or the rainbow of colors in the fall.

Moreover, the mountains in New Hampshire are arguably the most awe-inspiring east of the Rockies, and Mt. Washington is infamous for having the "world's worst weather," including the highest surface wind speeds ever recorded. And one of my favorite things about the mountains in New England is the plethora of villages and towns settled in the 1600s and 1700s which really haven't changed much in the past 200 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or