U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 08:45 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,476,123 times

Advertisements

i am looking for help finding a state to live in. i want to buy land that is not terribly expensive and is very isolated. i want to live in the wilderness but be able to get to a bigger town in an hour or so. i dont like the desert, nor do i like the horrible heat i mean like yuma az heat i cant stand it. i also need a place that is friendly to people of color. cold doesnt matter, snow doesnt matter. i am almost out of college and will be opening a business where ever i end up as a marriage/sex therapist. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 AM

6,739 posts, read 8,730,985 times
Parts of kansas have very cheap land, or even houses.....many people in kansas are very laid back...

Old 02-12-2007, 10:06 AM

15,595 posts, read 35,304,766 times
Southcentral Alaska has plenty of fair priced property. And I don't know of any marriage/sex counselors in these parts. Of course I havent been married since 1991, so the sex has been great also! (kidding) Just another place to consider. And there are no color/race issues around here.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:13 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,671,233 times
If I wanted isolation and didn't mind the cold, I would consider Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana. It's beautiful out there. And there are fairly large cities to be found.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:01 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,937,805 times
Missoula, Montana! Absolutely gorgeous. You can find land and live outside of town and feel completely isolated. Missoula has a lot to offer with a Super Wal-Mart, Home Depot and all those types of stores. If you want bigger malls you can drive three hours west to Spokane, Washington which might be another good place to consider. My wife is from Missoula and we love going back there every chance we get. Missoula is also a college town (U of M) so there would be many people your age there too.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:31 AM

33 posts, read 118,230 times
I think I'd take a different tack and suggest you look for places with high divorce rates.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:56 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,129,112 times
Montana or Nevada are good areas. I have a cousin who lives in Montana. Its really clear the air out there, plus its not as high as the national average cost of living.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:03 AM

186 posts, read 847,708 times
North or West of Cheyenne, Wyoming... they seem to have the kind of weather you are looking for. Low taxes, and Denver an hour or so away.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:32 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,642,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
i am looking for help finding a state to live in. i want to buy land that is not terribly expensive and is very isolated. i want to live in the wilderness but be able to get to a bigger town in an hour or so. i dont like the desert, nor do i like the horrible heat i mean like yuma az heat i cant stand it. i also need a place that is friendly to people of color. cold doesnt matter, snow doesnt matter. i am almost out of college and will be opening a business where ever i end up as a marriage/sex therapist. any suggestions?
Well I would not try to get way out in the Boonies in the West. Just to difficult to get back to a big town. Plus land might not be all that inexpensive even if it is way, way out there. Especially if it has any water available. Places like Utah, you can have lots of wives, might be a work overload trying to sort out a love octagon.

I would look at something like southern part of Ohio or maybe over into WV. Stay below I-70 in Ohio, lots of counties that can work. Is prime Boonie country and usually a larger city is available within a reasonable drive. The trick being plot out the route well beforehand. Not all roads are the same, the distance and how it looks on a map can be tricky. Ohio does have a good Interstate system. Scoring some good business opportunities might be a gamble, them Good Olde Boys keep their ladies pretty happy by modern standards.

WV might be prime territory. Plenty of Boonies available, some of them more or less sort of straight up. Might be some marriage / sex therapist type business there too. Most folks seem to like sex even if they are not married, (Do they have to be married to each other, if not that could open up lots of business) some might even try to keep it in the family. You never know what is exactly available until you've been there a while.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:10 AM

673 posts, read 3,755,051 times
Southern Colorado has alot of cheap land once you get down into the Huerfano County and Las Animas counties area. You could always have your counseling establishment in Pueblo with is about an hour's drive from that area. The weather is also very nice and the cost of housing and land is very cheap. Also beautiful scenery and very warm weather (winter average highs are in the mid to upper 40s in that part of the state, lots of warm winds off the mountains).
That area of the state is known also for its high divorce rates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or