U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,996,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbirds View Post
We are all here in the mountains of North Carolina. We have the Highland
Games at Grandfather Mountain every year. Go to Grandfather Mountain Highland Games Homepage and you will see what it is about. Most natives are Scotch Irish that came here in the 1700's and even earlier. Come on over and visit us, you will feel right at home.
It's humorously American that Scots-Irish would celebrate their ancestry with "Highland Games" since the Scots-Irish were lowland Scots!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 10:13 AM

23,076 posts, read 35,028,118 times
I have heard that the early Scot settlers in N GA, W NC and E TN were drawn to the area due to its' strong resemblance to the Scottish Highlands.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 AM

451 posts, read 1,388,183 times
Default Scots

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I have heard that the early Scot settlers in N GA, W NC and E TN were drawn to the area due to its' strong resemblance to the Scottish Highlands.
This is what I have read before. That when they reached the foothills, they said "we are home". Or was that the Irish?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:23 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,938,981 times
Whatever the land may have resembled, I think being cheap and available were the deciding criteria.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:47 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,202,159 times
Quote:
I have heard the same thing about Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

New England has a good amount of scots. My grandfather came to Boston from Kilmarnock. Southern Appalachia has a lot of scots-irish but many of them have been there for so long they just see themselves as American.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:49 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,996,220 times
Quote:
I'm sure it's not too far off that it reminded them of home but it is a fact that the Ulster Scots, aka Scots-Irish, were lowland presbyterians. It is not called the Scottish Lowlands because it's all flat. In fact good parts of the "Lowlands" are about as mountainous as the "Highlands" and parts of the "Highlands" are pretty low.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:58 AM

15,002 posts, read 31,375,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbirds View Post
We are all here in the mountains of North Carolina. We have the Highland
Games at Grandfather Mountain every year. Go to Grandfather Mountain Highland Games Homepage and you will see what it is about. Most natives are Scotch Irish that came here in the 1700's and even earlier. Come on over and visit us, you will feel right at home.
There's often a good mix of Cherokee blood in there too (like myself). Many of my ancestors settled in the western Carolinas before coming to Alabama. At this point I don't consider myself "Scots-Irish" because there has been so much mixing over the last couple of hundred years.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:23 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,952,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
I know my scottish ancestors first settled in NC and KY...
Mine are here in KY too.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:47 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,322,815 times
All My Scottish ansestors settled in the Appalachian region (Pennsylvania and Maryland mostly)

Old 10-08-2008, 07:13 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,289,852 times
That is way cool!

I've been to the Southern US but I thought most Scots would have settled more up north. But there ya go you learn something new every day

I've got friends that moved to SC, FL, NJ and TX. I like it when people ask me to speak over there, its quite cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or