U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 07:18 PM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
For whatever reason, people in the South who list their ethnicity as "American" are usually Scots-Irish.

Also, many Scots have been here for so long and intermarried with the Welsh and the English, that one could describe them as "British" in an ethnic, if not a political sense.
So true.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 07:18 PM

65 posts, read 100,382 times
Default Scots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
It's humorously American that Scots-Irish would celebrate their ancestry with "Highland Games" since the Scots-Irish were lowland Scots!
I heard that the Highland Scots settled in the NC Piedmont and Down East and the Lowland Scots settled in the mountains of NC. This is what a NC Scottish History Speaker told me at a meeting on family history.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:21 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,733,389 times
If it isn't Scottish, it's CRAP!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:35 PM

536 posts, read 1,949,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
There's often a good mix of Cherokee blood in there too (like myself). Many of my ancestors settled in the western Carolinas before coming to Alabama. At this point I don't consider myself "Scots-Irish" because there has been so much mixing over the last couple of hundred years.
Im one of those too, on my dads side... Scottish, Irish, Cherokee and a little bit of French because of a great great great great great grandmother. All from the Appalachians, maybe we are related. I've traced back to the 1400's on my grandma's side. The native side I don't have much information at all, just know my great grandmother (who's still alive) is half.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:38 PM

65 posts, read 100,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
That is way cool!

I've been to the Southern US but I thought most Scots would have settled more up north. But there ya go you learn something new every day

I've got friends that moved to SC, FL, NJ and TX. I like it when people ask me to speak over there, its quite cool
I'm an avid genealogist and I live in NC. My wife is from Michigan. In doing her ancestry I find great variation in her genealogy from German,French, Lithuanian, etc. My ancestry and most of my neighbors are almost entirely of the British Isles. Matter of fact, my wife asked me why my ancestors have such common names, like Watkins, Poole, and Jones. On the hand I can barely pronounce some of her ancestor's names. From my experience in doing genealogy early southerners were predominately English speaking. Most of my ancestors came to Virginia and NC over 300 years ago. We also get a alot of northern transplants to the area now, and most of them have unusual names to this old southern boy.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:54 PM

15,006 posts, read 31,383,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
Im one of those too, on my dads side... Scottish, Irish, Cherokee and a little bit of French because of a great great great great great grandmother. All from the Appalachians, maybe we are related. I've traced back to the 1400's on my grandma's side. The native side I don't have much information at all, just know my great grandmother (who's still alive) is half.
You do sound like me, LOL. In fact the farthest back I have traced my ancestry was from France (1600's), but there's some from Scotland too. The French ones lived in the Caribbean first (Santo Domingo), but moved to America after the big revolt. Both of my grandmothers are 1/4 Cherokee.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:08 PM

536 posts, read 1,949,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You do sound like me, LOL. In fact the farthest back I have traced my ancestry was from France (1600's), but there's some from Scotland too. The French ones lived in the Caribbean first (Santo Domingo), but moved to America after the big revolt. Both of my grandmothers are 1/4 Cherokee.

I guess I would be like you if my mom wasn't North African/Middle Eastern decent. Your more Cherokee than me then, I think.... I hate math ... im 1/16th.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:25 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,290,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If it isn't Scottish, it's CRAP!
ROFL!!! Where did you hear that?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:59 PM

518 posts, read 1,295,511 times
As rogercobb posted, the Upper South or the colonial "Old South" which includes North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland, were settled by the Scotch-Irish, particularly in the Piedmont and in the Appalachians.

Alexandria, Virginia still hosts the Virginia Scottish Games every year to celebrate its Scottish heritage.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:21 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,953,132 times
I am Scottish and Irish on my mom's side and English on my Dad's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or