U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:36 PM

48,086 posts, read 45,465,557 times

Advertisements

I just got off of a thread that looks like it's about to go off topic, so I am starting my own thread. Is it really selfish to want to live and travel wherever you want? I feel like it is a right to travel and/or live wherever one wants. There are some people who feel otherwise. I'm not seek ing to open a can of worms, but part of the reason is that in the old days there were such places as "sundown towns" where race decided if you could live there or not. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 06:16 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,340,426 times
No its not selfish, but I don't fully understand the question. How does race have to do with anything?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:18 PM

5,188 posts, read 13,352,934 times
Isn't this 2008? You can live or travel wherever you want, no matter what your "race".

Old 10-07-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
No its not selfish, but I don't fully understand the question. How does race have to do with anything?
I was on a thread about a city being a "dying" city and the words "forced integration" were brought into the mix. I am not going to bring up any names, but apparently, someone feels like things should be the way they were in the 1950's with sundown laws and restrictive covenants.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Isn't this 2008? You can live or travel wherever you want, no matter what your "race".
Yes it is and that is the way it should be.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:19 AM

8,906 posts, read 13,655,028 times
I wasn't involved in this other topic but I don't see why it would be selfish to live or travel wherever one wants. I'm sure there are individual exceptions, for example if one were to travel when it's not a good financial choice and may put one's family into serious debt or something. Or uprooting one's family to live someplace else without regards to how it might effect them.

Other than situations like that, I can't see how or why it's selfish.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:26 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,762,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I wasn't involved in this other topic but I don't see why it would be selfish to live or travel wherever one wants. I'm sure there are individual exceptions, for example if one were to travel when it's not a good financial choice and may put one's family into serious debt or something. Or uprooting one's family to live someplace else without regards to how it might effect them.

Other than situations like that, I can't see how or why it's selfish.
+1 exactly. It would be selfish of *me* to travel and live wherever I want, but for others, it's perfectly ok. And I'll go so far as saying you SHOULD live and travel wherever you want when you have the opportunity.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:41 AM

20,517 posts, read 26,373,226 times
I think you should be able to travel and live wherever you want. I don't think it is selfish at all as long as your family isn't starving because you want to travel.

As far as places, unfortunately, not all are safe. So can you travel anywhere? Yes. Is it always safe? No. I'm not talking about racism or small mindedness, but that does still exist in the US. I'm talking about places where countries are at war, etc. I wouldn't go to places like that.

Other than that do what you want just make your choices wisely.

Lisa

Old 10-08-2008, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I won't be doing any traveling anytime soon unless something turns up and I am able to afford it, but the reason I asked such a question is because I was mired in a debate about race and blacks moving to the suburbs and traveling. I was basically called a "community killer" by a user because I wanted to be able to travel wherever I wanted to travel and ot have race be a factor. According to this user, I am considered selfish because he feels as if people should have the freedom to set up laws barring people of certain ethicities from living or traveling there. This user felt that it was a way to "keep order". I feel like that is something from the 1950's and I sure don't want that.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:42 AM

8,906 posts, read 13,655,028 times
Well everyone is entitled to their opinion but I would have thought that kind of racism would not be tolerated. Did you report it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or