Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:26 PM

463 posts, read 1,564,901 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of talk on message boards like this whether certian states should be combined, divisded, or parts of states given to other states. A lot of it seems to be simply because parts of the same state are very different than each other, but since they don't have a problem being in the same state it is not taken seriously.

Sometimes, people from the richer portion of the state want to seceede (or force the poorer part to seceede) because they don't want to "subsidise" the poorer areas. On the other hand, some people from poorer portions of states want to seceede because they feel that their concerns are not heeded by the rest of the state.

I've also heard parts of certian states wanting to join adjacent states, or even parts of two adjoining states to combine to form a third state. Though much less frequently, I also hear proposals for two states to join to form one.

I hear a lot of these ideas, but the fact is that other than the admission of Alaska and Hawaii there hasn't really been a significant change in state boundaries in nearly a century. Are all these ideas far-fetched and just held in the minds of a few people, or do any of them actually have any real support?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 01:34 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
I think if California were to do something like that, it should combine with Nevada and Hawaii. Both of those states have very close ties to CA.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:26 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,146 times
I hear the Georgia is trying to change the latitude of its northern border with Tennessee because the people who surveyed the area "supposedly"put the Georgia/Tennessee border 5km(2m) south of where it is "supposed to be" but alot of people say Georgia is pursuing a false claim so it can get water from the Tenessee river.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,497 times
I think the small states should..
like maryland and delaware.. i mean furreal
or Mass., Rhode Island, Vermont, and NH.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:48 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,903 times
There is the idea for the State of Jefferson. It would be a combination of northern California and southern Oregon. There is a thread about it here http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...on-secede.html

Old 10-08-2008, 04:01 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,063,650 times
It's all a bunch of freaking nonsense. Give me a break, it's blather from a very few unhappy people. Quebec splitting off from the rest of Canada is a real possibility.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:47 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I think if California were to do something like that, it should combine with Nevada and Hawaii. Both of those states have very close ties to CA.
Hawaiians hate us, though. They forget where a fat chunk of the tourist dollars originate.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:51 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Hawaiians hate us, though. They forget where a fat chunk of the tourist dollars originate.
From the Japanese, of course.

Actually, one ongoing discussion regards the Florida Panhandle. Really, in politics, economics, and social structure, it's much more Alabama than Florida. People in the Panhandle really get tired of Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville getting all the attention.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
A lot of rational ideas out there, but cause of the logistics and the fighting that would happen, I HIGHLY doubt ANY of these will actually occur.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:36 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,446 times
I highly doubt that any combinations of states would occur. For one thing, if 2 states combine into one, they lose representation in the Senate. Instead of 4 senators, they now have 2 I don't think anyone would like that in either of the 2 states.

I'm thinking that seccession is more likely to occur or the country breaks up into regional territories based on common interests and shared values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.