U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 AM

11,897 posts, read 32,947,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, that's a good point. I would also offer that television and movies really do not reflect how normal people should talk to one another.

Case in point? My kids watched the Disney Channel every day. Yet, I noticed that they were all beginning to be really mean to one another and argue with their mother and I.

So I decided to sit down and watch the so-called 'safe' programming. What did I find? Lots of sarcasm, put-downs, arguing, and talking back to the parents. Teachers were hopeless dupes to be outfoxed, and parents were equals. The Disney Channel is no longer allowed in my house as a result.

The problem with that? As a parent, you have to work and keep the household running. If you don't have kids who simply do what you ask of them without questioning, then you wind up having ongoing, exhausting trench warfare over little things such as taking out the garbage or picking up one's room. And if a kid can't get it together to follow your instructions on simple things like that, then what chance will he have on the job or out in the world?

So, yeah, Hollywood and Television bear a great deal of blame here, simply because children see it on the big screen and little screen and think that's how real people interact.
An excellent point. I can't rep you again until the rep faeries let me. But as a former middle school teacher I know exactly what you mean. 30 years ago parents would never have let their kids get away with the way our kids behave today. It's one reason I now teach college, although college students today aren't a whole lot better behaved than middle school students were 30 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 10:07 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,140,125 times
I notice with old people the most

hah, i would tell them a story i have and they scream "THATS NOTHIN" and than they start talkin about there life story and brag about how life was better back in thier ancient times, i call them the ME-Monsters.

but yea, other than old people, i dont think people are gettin meaner but, i think they are only worrying about themselves at this point in hardship.

Thats why i will rent untill times get better, and that could be for ever.
No point to even look to own a home.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,098,362 times
[quote=Newarkbomb;5617610]I notice with old people the most /QUOTE]

Here in Kansas City that is also true. I've run into more rude people over the age of 35 than under.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,397,366 times
No we're not getting meaner. Anyone who says we are is going to get their face bashed in.

Understood?

Old 10-09-2008, 10:42 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,998,763 times
I think the world is getting over-populated, more competitive, priorities screwed up, and people less accountable for themselves. Yes, it's becoming more and more of a me, me, ME world full of *******s. Some days it don't seem so bad, but it makes me cringe to think of it getting much worse.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:22 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,216,913 times
No, the world is not getting meaner. Every generation beleives that the younger generation is somehow different than the previous generation. The differences typically are superficial. The same things were said during the Reformation. Tetzel's indulgences, that led Martin Luther to create a new church, was seen by Martin Luther as a sign of the times. He believed that society had changed and was now "impure". Like the French say: all that changes stays the same.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:07 AM

34,706 posts, read 33,724,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
Yes. I don't think it has anything to do with the economy. I think people are becoming more and more self centered( ME-ME-ME-ME-ME-ME). I don't know whom is worse.
I agree and I also think reality TV shows and video games glorify mean.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:21 AM

641 posts, read 2,160,447 times
Yeah, I've noticed that more people are stuck up and snobby these days

Old 10-12-2008, 09:23 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,020,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
Yes. I don't think it has anything to do with the economy. I think people are becoming more and more self centered( ME-ME-ME-ME-ME-ME). I don't know whom is worse.
I think this is the real reason. People used to help each other out in hard times.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:39 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,216,913 times
Anyone consider the Minority Effect? It's a psychological term that means that we tend to focus on a selective number of instances and our brain will highlight those cases and inflate the frequency. So the outcome is that nice deeds that occur so often are less salient than bad things that occur less frequently. So for example if Mary says hi to Bob every day, Bob will become accustomed to that. If one day Mary does not say hi, Bob will remember this more than Mary saying hi all the other times. People are more likely to help out others in times of need...hence why 9/11 saw the largest contribution drive in the history of the united states...not only in dollar amounts but also in the percentage of people giving. Also why Peace Corps and AmeriCorps have seen huge increases in the past several years. If people are meaner...then why are people volunteering and donating? We see the "bad" since it is simply less prevelant so it sticks out in our brain...it's all a question of salience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or