U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:22 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,917,150 times

Advertisements

Look at the economy and I think that pretty much answers this question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 12:28 PM

485 posts, read 1,662,017 times
I think alot of it has to do with ethnic and economic diversity. When I was a kid nearly everyone was middle class with a much smaller number of very rich or poor, so we had more in common. Almost everyone was a white person also. People had more in common. Now days everyone is so different but we really do not like to deal with anyone who is not like us, so we ignore and reject most everyone.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:02 PM

769 posts, read 2,012,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I think alot of it has to do with ethnic and economic diversity. When I was a kid nearly everyone was middle class with a much smaller number of very rich or poor, so we had more in common. Almost everyone was a white person also. People had more in common. Now days everyone is so different but we really do not like to deal with anyone who is not like us, so we ignore and reject most everyone.
I find it ironic for a person to post this when his username is "refugee".

Old 10-15-2008, 08:36 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,218,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS20000 View Post
Oh yeah, times have not changed at all? People have always been the same? I do not recall reading about "chariot rage" in the Roman Empire.
Yeah actually chariot rage burned down Constantanople. The Nika Revolt. Sorry, but...kinda drives the point more.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:40 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,152,461 times
I think some people choose to be mean.

Some of us, though, are just naturally ornery!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Obviously not a parent. Either that or you're actively involved in producing the dreck that broadcasts daily.
Well, I'm not a parent, but I work with children. I do actually have to see what is broadcast daily. It's part of my job. I have to follow the will of the parent. And actually, I have to provide a detailed description to my employer and the parents I deal with to see whether or not it will fit with a comphrehensive behavior plan. I have to read up on mountians of studies of TV violence. So yes, you're right I don't have a kid. I have "only" done the research that very few people have to do, nor actually do. I'm the guy that you leave with your kid (assuming autistic and hence more impressionable).

Old 10-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Actually, common citizens were very much literate in those good 'ol days. Average citizens were not quite the illiterate bums that history would have you to believe (the history that is allowed in textbooks).
That's interesting since 20% of the population of the US was enslaved during the Victorian era.

Quote:
Institutionalized pedagogy (otherwise known as school) was introduced to the United States in the late 18th century based on a Prussian model of mass instruction. Our contemporary understanding of what school and an "education" means has been terribly skewed.
I agree, but I'm more for a Socratic style of education where discussion is promoted. Not our current rote form.

Quote:
Read up on Horace Mann and William Torrey Harris. If you have really bothered to read my post you would gather that I was not condoning class stratification (I did say "some" of their ideals could still be salvaged for our contemporary culture-ideals like GOOD MANNERS).
I merely pointed out that negating the social and economic stratification is hypocritical. I did read your post and fail to see how you can pick the Victorian era as an example. Too idealized, and hence why I started with the word "idealizded".

Quote:
It would be a fallacy of an appeal to numbers to support the notion that simply because everyone has an anecdote that it justifies the claim, but there is always a kernel of truth in every claim (any hard nosed skeptic would still have to realize that). Why so many stories of rude behavior and so few stories of good behavior? Do people only focus on the bad things in life?
Actually there is a very simple answer for why people focus on the bad. It's called the minority effect. I stated it already. It states that common features are tuned out of your brain. However, uncommon features/situations tend to stick. This is why people are less likely to remember a good deed from a friend, but will automatically remember the name they called them. There have several studies done which indeed confirm this. It's fact, not fiction that people will remember the less likely event. The converse works that if a given person is used to bad things, they will remember the good more. It is simply a question of salience.

Quote:
Statistically speaking, the US Census reports do reveal growing trends in divorce rates, number of single parent families, and overall poverty rates of families with persons under the age of 18. Also, there are numbers of other government reports that feature a slight decline in the literacy rate (actually, direct descendants of slaves had a higher literacy rate than most minorities today (Blacks have had numerous successful economic enclaves in the early 20th century before the race riots-find that in your typical textbook)).
If the point is that people are getting meaner, than in the past they were nicer. If divorce rates now are near the point of ancient Rome, and ancient is the past...then well...people are somewhat the same. Also, people were socially stigmatized for divorce. That's not nice. Stigmatization is the opposite of nice...it's mean. Single parents...it is a problem...but more with economics and also how "mean" we are (and the past have been) to the inner city. There are fewer resources in the inner city, hence higher crime. Direct descendants of slaves actually are less likely to go to college than an African that just to the US. Simple economics. Trust me, the people that get here from Africa are middle class in Africa since it is roughly $1,500 and $2,000 ONE WAY from the continent. Asians are more likely to go college. The successful enclaves were usually mixed race and very much based on racial lines. Again, in the Victorian era. Hence not nice.

Quote:
Keep in mind that these figures are fudged and that they coincide with revisions to the SAT testing material (people in 2008 are NOT taking the same language/reading test from 1958). And another thing: child labor laws were enforced to keep children in school and to prevent the production of more Benjamin Franklins, Abraham Lincolns, and Thomas Edisons-this fit in well with the intentions of the robber barons of that era because they wanted more workers, not competirors (John D. Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie, Cornelius Vanderbilt, and JP morgan were HUGE benefactors to the education industry, some of them founding their own universities).
Yes you are right, people are not taking the same tests as in 1958. However, it's relatively easy and non-changing to determine whether a person can read or not. It's the kind of test that either is or is not. Child labor laws were not to keep people down. Ben Franklin,was not a product of child labor. If children are at work...how would they develop. The working class was keep down because of child labor. That's why rich kids did not work. They went to school. They were a reaction to the sheer exploitation of children. How can you justify child labor?

Quote:
I did not want to dwell on literacy but that is but a small component of the entire picture. People are losing consideration for others for a number of reasons: each one of these reasons could have its own book. Instead of arguing over details (the perverbial red herring) there needs to be consensus that there is indeed a problem in society without being steeped in denial.
Denial is nostalgia. That is denial. The problem with society is that people look backwards and are not progressive enough to see that change is simply change. Society is based on a contract of norms. These norms change. For example cannibalism is a contract that within that society a person is to be eaten. People agree on that. For the given society it is fine. We look in disgust. It's all relative. Since it is relative nothing really changes since the rules are not fixed, but open and changeable. Society should seek equality. But we must understand that ignorance is a huge factor and you really can't fault a person with faulty information. That being said, society is trying to mend these ills. People that don't see society as being changeable and people still being people, are apart of the problem. Take the lessons of the past as lessons, not templates.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va View Post
I disagree, having been on interview panels . Its the responsibility of the employer doing the interviews to notify . Or at least the assumed task. I ask during interviews, how will I be notified of the decisions either yes or no...and all told me I would be informed if not chosen. Perhaps this varies from Private companies than from Municipal and Gvt Agencies.
Yeah, if you really want a job you got to go and ask for it. It is protocol. I asked my brother about hiring techniques (he has been a hiring manager three seperate times). This does apply for gov't jobs as well (this came from my dad's friend who graduated from Thunderbird School of International Policy... now works for the CIA as a mid-level analyst. He told me HE called to check up on him getting his current postion). Why would I hire a person that has no desire to work there? If you don't follow up, then it tells the employer that you have little desire. I called to check up on my current job and the initiative showed that I cared and got the job. The interviewer I met on Tues. told ME to ask the other hiring manager for my position. Again, initiative must be taken...they are going to pay YOU.

Regardless, good luck on the search.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:58 AM

266 posts, read 813,054 times
I think the answer is "yes," and I primarily blame movies and TV, which glorify violence, bad language, rude behavior, promiscuity and criminals. Reality TV has made things even worse--it encourages conflict between people (too "boring" if not enough conflict), backstabbing competitiveness and rudeness.

Read "Bowling Alone," the book that talks about how Americans are becoming increasingly disconnected. The author places a lot of the blame on TV--we simply spend too much time watching TV and not enough time just getting together with our friends and families. I think just being more connected with people would make us less mean.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:01 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,792,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Well, I'm not a parent, but I work with children. I do actually have to see what is broadcast daily. It's part of my job. I have to follow the will of the parent. And actually, I have to provide a detailed description to my employer and the parents I deal with to see whether or not it will fit with a comphrehensive behavior plan. I have to read up on mountians of studies of TV violence. So yes, you're right I don't have a kid. I have "only" done the research that very few people have to do, nor actually do. I'm the guy that you leave with your kid (assuming autistic and hence more impressionable).
It just isn't the same. Sorry. When you deal with children 24/7, then we'll talk.

Here's a great idea for your research. Take a group of kids and let them watch television like the kind I describe for a couple of weeks. Observe how they interact with one another. Record the sarcasm and cutting remarks.

Now, take a different group of kids, and don't let them watch television. I will bet the farm that they will interact much more nicely. Because we've seen the effect when we curtailed television viewing in our own household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or