U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:46 AM

3,625 posts, read 7,169,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
People are under more stress than ever.
Worrying about how they look is more important than how they act.

I wouldn't say it's the vast majority, but with all the social networks on the internet people are overly exposing themselves to way too many people. A lot of kids with FB's have 500+ friends- I highly doubt they know 450 of them on personal level, but they're ok with people creeping through their albums, comments, personal info, etc. -- Lots of drama.

Another thing that seems to be in style is "Haters"- The more haters you have, the more popular you are- being overly exposed causes this to an extent.
+1 I agree 100% This might not be on topic but i know a couple of people who type more words on facebook than they say in public. Thats a problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:24 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,985,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
America is the product of the media, point blank. its' citizens do not think for themselves or draw their own conclusions (generally speaking). they allow thousands on the internet (scary i know), tv, radio, and the movies to do that for them. other civilizations that have been around for thousands of years are not so media dominated. Americans are bombarded by countless commericals, billboards, ads, etc. telling them what is cool and what tastes good aka the next thing they should consume. Thus, they are not their own person. They are the person that everything is telling them to be. Thus, they really are not their own being. They belong to something else...
This is a very powerful post.

It reminds me of this video by the great George:

YouTube - George Carlin ~ The American Dream

Good stuff.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:19 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,595,739 times
No, dumber, maybe. Ruder, yes. But meaner? I don't think so.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 AM

12,334 posts, read 13,571,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Does it seem that people are getting meaner nowadays and are quicker to cop an attitude? I think it has to do with the economy and current hardships that tend to stress people out and cause them to be less polite and respectful. It also seems that some people on this board have become harsh and disrespectful to other posters, such as ridiculing someone just for asking a perfectly normal and straight-forward question, or slamming someone for something as small as a spelling/grammatical error or an inaccuracy. I'll probably get slammed from this post right here.
There is an area I grew up in that was one of the most violent cities in America.

I still could not believe the amount of people who would fly off the handle for no apparent reason.

Some time back I was charged and cussed out from a neighbor for tossing a skunk in the river across the road from his home. He claimed it was his front yard!! In my head I thought, "Does he even know me? No. I have never met this guy before. I could have easily taken him out."

Young lady cussed me out when she pulled out of a parking lot making a wide turn in MY lane when I was pulling out of a parking lot on the opposite side of the road. Apparently I made her mad cause I passed her closely but it was cause she was in my lane. Anyways, I couldn't believe this young girl is going to shoot her mouth off at me.

I mean, what if it was that one person fresh out of prison who has so much frustration inside and then someone does either one of these things to him. Yeah, especially in that city. You keep your mouth shut and be on your way.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 AM

970 posts, read 2,603,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So I decided to sit down and watch the so-called 'safe' programming. What did I find? Lots of sarcasm, put-downs, arguing, and talking back to the parents. Teachers were hopeless dupes to be outfoxed, and parents were equals. The Disney Channel is no longer allowed in my house as a result.
I couldn't agree more. My children used to watch those smartass kids all the time, and they acted just like them. No thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or