Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:03 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times

Advertisements

Does it seem that people are getting meaner nowadays and are quicker to cop an attitude? I think it has to do with the economy and current hardships that tend to stress people out and cause them to be less polite and respectful. It also seems that some people on this board have become harsh and disrespectful to other posters, such as ridiculing someone just for asking a perfectly normal and straight-forward question, or slamming someone for something as small as a spelling/grammatical error or an inaccuracy. I'll probably get slammed from this post right here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 06:11 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
I think the internet has given more people an opportunity to be jerks. People are willing to say things to other people over the internet which they would never say to their face.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:47 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,180,561 times
Yes. I don't think it has anything to do with the economy. I think people are becoming more and more self centered( ME-ME-ME-ME-ME-ME). I don't know whom is worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Does it seem that people are getting meaner nowadays and are quicker to cop an attitude? I think it has to do with the economy and current hardships that tend to stress people out and cause them to be less polite and respectful. It also seems that some people on this board have become harsh and disrespectful to other posters, such as ridiculing someone just for asking a perfectly normal and straight-forward question, or slamming someone for something as small as a spelling/grammatical error or an inaccuracy. I'll probably get slammed from this post right here.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:17 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
No. And if you say it again, I'll beat the crap out of you.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:20 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,167 times
Yes, people are definitely getting meaner. Just look at the politics forum on here!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:26 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
its sounds fuggin like ny and philly ova herre!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:30 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,308 times
Yes, it's called overpopulation. The more of us there are, the less important and valuable each one becomes. It's not just on the Internet, but in real life as well.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:47 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think the internet has given more people an opportunity to be jerks. People are willing to say things to other people over the internet which they would never say to their face.
That is the God-honest truth. I have found myself saying things on here that I would never dream of saying in person, and I'm ashamed of some of the mean things I've said on here and have had to apologize and change some of my posts.

The anonymity of the internet, I think, has created a whole generation of people who feel they can say whatever they want without fear of looking like jerks.

I guess I'm an eternal optimist, but I think being in an economic crisis should actually bring out the best in people and not the other way around.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:51 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Yes, it's called overpopulation. The more of us there are, the less important and valuable each one becomes. It's not just on the Internet, but in real life as well.
If that were true, then the people of overcrowded Japan should be the meanest and most surly in the world.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
yes we are reaping a terrible harvest for our decisions regarding child rearing and law enforcement over the last 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.