U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-08-2008, 06:03 PM
 
2,683 posts, read 5,971,895 times
Reputation: 1425

Advertisements

Does it seem that people are getting meaner nowadays and are quicker to cop an attitude? I think it has to do with the economy and current hardships that tend to stress people out and cause them to be less polite and respectful. It also seems that some people on this board have become harsh and disrespectful to other posters, such as ridiculing someone just for asking a perfectly normal and straight-forward question, or slamming someone for something as small as a spelling/grammatical error or an inaccuracy. I'll probably get slammed from this post right here.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Status: "Girl, bye" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Houston
5,719 posts, read 8,013,426 times
Reputation: 4040
I think the internet has given more people an opportunity to be jerks. People are willing to say things to other people over the internet which they would never say to their face.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 06:47 PM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,522 posts, read 8,773,466 times
Reputation: 8079
Yes. I don't think it has anything to do with the economy. I think people are becoming more and more self centered( ME-ME-ME-ME-ME-ME). I don't know whom is worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Does it seem that people are getting meaner nowadays and are quicker to cop an attitude? I think it has to do with the economy and current hardships that tend to stress people out and cause them to be less polite and respectful. It also seems that some people on this board have become harsh and disrespectful to other posters, such as ridiculing someone just for asking a perfectly normal and straight-forward question, or slamming someone for something as small as a spelling/grammatical error or an inaccuracy. I'll probably get slammed from this post right here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 07:17 PM
 
25,932 posts, read 28,973,174 times
Reputation: 36451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Does it seem that people are getting meaner nowadays and are quicker to cop an attitude? I think it has to do with the economy and current hardships that tend to stress people out and cause them to be less polite and respectful. It also seems that some people on this board have become harsh and disrespectful to other posters, such as ridiculing someone just for asking a perfectly normal and straight-forward question, or slamming someone for something as small as a spelling/grammatical error or an inaccuracy. I'll probably get slammed from this post right here.
No. And if you say it again, I'll beat the crap out of you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,899 posts, read 1,434,523 times
Reputation: 877
Yes, people are definitely getting meaner. Just look at the politics forum on here!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,970 posts, read 13,052,621 times
Reputation: 2501
its sounds fuggin like ny and philly ova herre!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 07:30 PM
 
702 posts, read 1,535,975 times
Reputation: 616
Yes, it's called overpopulation. The more of us there are, the less important and valuable each one becomes. It's not just on the Internet, but in real life as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 07:47 PM
 
9,220 posts, read 22,473,593 times
Reputation: 6003
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think the internet has given more people an opportunity to be jerks. People are willing to say things to other people over the internet which they would never say to their face.
That is the God-honest truth. I have found myself saying things on here that I would never dream of saying in person, and I'm ashamed of some of the mean things I've said on here and have had to apologize and change some of my posts.

The anonymity of the internet, I think, has created a whole generation of people who feel they can say whatever they want without fear of looking like jerks.

I guess I'm an eternal optimist, but I think being in an economic crisis should actually bring out the best in people and not the other way around.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 07:51 PM
 
9,220 posts, read 22,473,593 times
Reputation: 6003
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Yes, it's called overpopulation. The more of us there are, the less important and valuable each one becomes. It's not just on the Internet, but in real life as well.
If that were true, then the people of overcrowded Japan should be the meanest and most surly in the world.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 07:51 PM
 
Location: southern california
50,787 posts, read 49,754,227 times
Reputation: 42578
yes we are reaping a terrible harvest for our decisions regarding child rearing and law enforcement over the last 40 years.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top