U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:00 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,320,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
That's a pretty accurate list, but I thought a city like Baltimore would be a little higher.
If this were the 50s, when Baltimore's population was nearing 1 Million, it would probably near the top. But due to the massive decrease of population ( -400 roughly), the density has definitly taken a toll, although its begining to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 08:09 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Looking at the list from the first link, in the cities I am familiar with, some of these neighborhoods are downtown shopping/bar/restaurant areas, not residential, e.g. LoDo in Denver, the Loop in Chicago. There are people living in LoDo, but it is not primarily a residential neighborhood. I guess my point is that these are not places where many people live, which makes them sort of irrelevant in the walkability department.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 14,089,206 times
So...LA is mega-suburbia with no walkable neighborhoods huh? Check out some of these places all in areas that LA bashers think are suburbia.

Redondo Beach Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

El Segundo
Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

Manhattan Beach
Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

Venice

Marina del Rey

Hermosa Beach!!!!

Pasadena!!!!

Laguna Beach

South Pasadena

Glendale

Sherman Oaks

Studio City

Woodland Hills

Burbank

Culver City

Seriously though. I posted some up there that were in the high 90s. Now tell me that's not impressive for a place people regard as a massive, overgrown suburbia.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:32 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
I have to correct myself. The link is not in the first post, it is in post #12.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 PM

100 posts, read 122,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
So...LA is mega-suburbia with no walkable neighborhoods huh? Check out some of these places all in areas that LA bashers think are suburbia.

Redondo Beach Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

El Segundo

Manhattan Beach

Venice

Marina del Rey

Hermosa Beach!!!!

Pasadena!!!!

Laguna Beach

South Pasadena

Glendale

Sherman Oaks

Studio City

Woodland Hills

Burbank

Culver City

Seriously though. I posted some up there that were in the high 90s. Now tell me that's not impressive for a place people regard as a massive, overgrown suburbia.

right on!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:04 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,981,012 times
San Francisco is walkable only for the healthy. With so many hills in that city ~ many quite steep ~ I don't know how it made it to #1.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:13 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
San Francisco is walkable only for the healthy. With so many hills in that city ~ many quite steep ~ I don't know how it made it to #1.
I agree, I live in the area that borders downtown Portland. We have hills all over here, that is once you leave the immediate downtown area. I walk all over here, up and down these hills that actually become the Tualitin mountains behind downtown. Even I get tired when walking those hills when visiting San Francisco. I expect many people are not capable of walking up and down those hills there.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:25 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,712,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMetropolis View Post
why does every one get mad when L.A. ranks the top in something? Why can't anyone just be happy for Los Angeles?
I wouldn't call it anger, I would call it disagreement, but the people here on this forum go about that in a very rude manner at times.
Anyways, Dallas isn't a walkable city, well in general but it somehow made the list with above a 50...
So...The only city I would call walkable would be a few cities in the North east and San Fran.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:49 PM

896 posts, read 934,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I wouldn't call it anger, I would call it disagreement, but the people here on this forum go about that in a very rude manner at times.
Anyways, Dallas isn't a walkable city, well in general but it somehow made the list with above a 50...
So...The only city I would call walkable would be a few cities in the North east and San Fran.
Have you travelled to all the cities to make such a comment?

Old 02-11-2012, 04:02 PM

12,199 posts, read 10,409,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Have you travelled to all the cities to make such a comment?
Yea, Portland and Seattle are definitely walkable. A bit surprised by Long Beach, but I've never been there either.

FWIW, this is the 2011 list:

1. New York (85.3)

2. San Francisco (84.9)

3. Boston (79.2)

4. Chicago (74.3)

5. Philadelphia (74.1)

6. Seattle (73.7)

7. Washington, D.C. (73.2)

8. Miami (72.5)

9. Minneapolis (69.3)

10. Oakland (68.2)

Source: Walk Score
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.