U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:49 PM

5,515 posts, read 17,674,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Tell me the racial demographics of the city, and I'll tell you how dangerous it is. And the statistics don't lie. Enough said.
Many people consider the Bronx to be dangerous and blacks do not make up the majority. Explain that.

East LA aswell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 10:01 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,135,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Tell me the racial demographics of the city, and I'll tell you how dangerous it is. And the statistics don't lie. Enough said.

and the majority white towns are so friggen boring and most of the people are arrogant bast****.

hmm thats my perspective
diverse is vital for me

Old 10-13-2008, 10:49 AM

30,184 posts, read 67,320,481 times
Scranton is over 90% Caucasian, non-Hispanic, and 1/3 of residents earn over $50,000 per year. Nevertheless violent crime in 2008 here has been OUT-OF-CONTROL. Explain that one to me.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:07 AM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
You are correct on that unfortunately, Northeast Rochester is incredibly poor and violent (almost 45% live in poverty there) Northwest and Southwest are also pretty bad. Buffalo has really nasty ghettos on the East and South parts. I say unfortunately because I love both cities as I grew up in Rochester and it breaks my heart to see these things happening there.
Me too, sweetclimber. My Mom's family lived in Dutchtown for generations and my Dad's lived in Northeast Roch. I have fond memories of visits to grandparents and other relatives in those neighborhoods. Now they call the whole thing the "Crescent" because they share the bulk of Rochester's poverty and violence. Last I checked my old neighborhood, North Winton, was still a decent place to live (even though the public school system I was a student in is now the pits.) Yes, it is heartbreaking.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:35 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,701,287 times
Heres the real list, just for the NE:

(larger cities 50k+: http://www.city-data.com/top2/c405.html)
1. Camden, NJ
2. Irvington, NJ
3. Wilmington, DE
4. Baltimore, MD
5. Hartford, CT
6. Buffalo, NY

(Smaller Cities: http://www.city-data.com/top2/c404.html)
1. Darby, PA
2. Salisbury, MD
3. Asbury Park, NJ
4. Chester, PA
5. Bladensburg, MD
6. Duquesne, PA

I dont why Newark isnt on there. Some other dishonorable mentions are: Areas of Philly, NYC, DC. Trenton and Bridgeport also. BTW Scranton should not even be mentioned in this thread, its not anywhere near the most dangerous.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:52 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,320,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
BTW Scranton should not even be mentioned in this thread, its not anywhere near the most dangerous.
This summer three young males, including one of my high school classmates, were beaten to death in their home. Recently an elderly man died after having his throat slit at random in broad daylight for no apparent reason while walking along a busy downtown street near his apartment complex. This morning a woman was attacked at random by a man riding a bicycle. Two young males were roughed up when inner-city gang members stormed into their home with guns blaring until a third resident stormed down the hallway with a gun of his own, scaring off the intruders. My theology professor's home was broken into. His neighbor had property stolen. An M80 was thrown through the window of a jewelry store. I can continue for quite some time. 2008 has been an incredibly VIOLENT year for our city after many years of being one of the safest cities of our size in the nation. I don't know if it's our national recession causing this, our influx of New Yorkers, or what, but this recent spate of random violent crimes has residents here on edge.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,706 times
Unhappy Born in Camden, NJ

Hi- I just happened to stumble onto this site. I actually was researching San Diego. I live in Westville, NJ right now, which is a couple miles from Camden, and I work on the border of Cherry Hill, which is next to Pennsauken/Camden. I am 55, and except for the year I lived in San Diego, I have maintained residence in the general vicinity of Camden County.
When I was born in Camden, it was actually a really nice place to live. Everyone took pride in their homes, and it was actually safe to go out at nite. It wasnt until I was about 15 that it started to go downhill. Alot of transients started to move in, that would wreck the place they were renting, and then move out in the middle of the nite. Then the buildings started to get boarded up. I have seen it deteriorate more and more as time has gone by. It's ironic that the surrounding towns have stayed relatively stable.
To give an outsider what the environment is like, my ex-husband grew up in Fairview, a part of Camden. His house stayed in the family until his mom died, and then my daughter started to live in it. Fairview was a scenic little suburb of Camden. I say WAS because, while she was living there, just a block from her house, a worker at the convenience store got gunned down. The guys selling drugs have a thriving clientele at the end of her street. It's almost non stop. And that goes for almost all of Camden. No matter where you go, you will find them on the corner giving you "the look" to see if you want to buy something. I work with a diverse bunch of people, and most of them live in Camden or Pennsauken, and I don't know how many times someone has come up to me telling me they have been mugged or beat up, or something similar. My brother and I had to get my mom to move out of there, because she used to like to walk to the store, and she got robbed twice en route. We were concerned for her safety. And this was 25 years ago!
I had the misfortune of going back to look at the house I grew up in, in Morgan Village- a part of south Camden. Just out of curiosity-I decided, for old times sake to go down "memory lane". I was in a state of shock. Half the block was gone, like it was a war zone. The houses that were still there were mostly boarded up. Our house was still there, but our trees out front were like they got hit with lightening-half gone. The house didnt have a lawn, only dirt, and they had a german shepherd tied up with a rope, that was missing an eye. the shades were all torn. I actually started to cry. It's hard to believe that this was the same place I used to play outside- at nite!
Yes, it's true, that for tourism, they are trying to "revitalize" Camden. But only the parts near the bridge.That way the "tourists" don't get the full effect of the loveliness of the town.
Because I had the advantage of living somewhere else, I could actually make a comparison. Some people living in this area, simply don't realize that they don't have to live like that.
I have made a decision to go back to San Diego, with my grown daughter and my grandson. I was really happy there, but due to personal problems I couldnt stay. I want to put my grandson in an environment where everyone doesnt have an ulterior motive, and just because someone is nice, it doesnt mean they are weak.
I am right in the middle of this area, and work in this area, and know what I am talking about. Anyone that has a decent job and can afford to get out, usually does. I am sorry if I offended anyone that is trying to get by living honestly in Camden. But you know yourself that it just isnt safe. I know that they dont even put the shootings on the news anymore. I know that for a fact. Camden didnt get the distinction of being one of the most violent crime ridden cities for nothing. I want to live the few years I have left with peace of mind, for me and also for my daughter and grandson.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:24 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,701,287 times
jaguarprincess,

thats a sad story and it is very sad to see what happened to Camden. It must be really hard for you to go back there and see how bad it has gotten. Im from around Cleveland, but have been through Camden a few short times when I was around Philly. Its a very depressed place. One of the worst areas Ive ever seen. It seems like they purposely try to make the area near the highway nicer and the area near the bridge/downtown as you mentioned. Even with that you can still see some things off the highway. Once you get off, its much, much worse. Its sad to see, its in such a great location (right across the bridge from Philly, good highway access, etc.) and could have possibly been such a great place.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:54 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Me too, sweetclimber. My Mom's family lived in Dutchtown for generations and my Dad's lived in Northeast Roch. I have fond memories of visits to grandparents and other relatives in those neighborhoods. Now they call the whole thing the "Crescent" because they share the bulk of Rochester's poverty and violence. Last I checked my old neighborhood, North Winton, was still a decent place to live (even though the public school system I was a student in is now the pits.) Yes, it is heartbreaking.
Yeah, N Winton is still pretty nice as is the area along University and East and Park Aves. I think the whole crime thing in Rochester has to do with the loss of middle class blue collar jobs and workers. There is also a stigma against living in "the City" for middle class folks. Most of these cities people are mentioning like Cleveland, Buffalo, Gary etc. are going through the same thing.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:28 AM

13 posts, read 50,173 times
Duh detroit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or