Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,924,903 times

Advertisements

You can add Atlantic City to the list. That's one sketchy looking place. You can't really leave the boardwalk area at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 09:27 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,625 times
By looking at this thread, any place that has a substantial population is a bad and scary place. God, I can't even leave my east end Pittsburgh apartment at night because I will bet mugged, killed, or both.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:38 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
and the majority white towns are so friggen boring and most of the people are arrogant bast****.

hmm thats my perspective
diverse is vital for me
Diversity is dead. Its a crock and we self segregate in this country anyway. I'd rather be bored than dead. Anyway, I'm not bored. Guess its just your perspective. You sound a bit racist also. Nice.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:40 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR9708 View Post
Duh detroit

Duh, not Northeast.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:49 AM

26 posts, read 87,162 times
damn just look at the NY Daily news crime section. Most of it is in the same areas.
New York Crime Headlines and Articles - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/index.html - broken link)

Old 12-30-2008, 10:19 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,814,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I would choose

From worst to least...
Camden, NJ
Baltimore, MD
Irvington, NJ
Philadelphia, PA
Newark, NJ
New York City, NY
Pittsburgh, PA

what do you guys think??
Pittsburgh, dangerous? I'm not sure I agree with that one. I mean any city can be dangerous in certain sections, but overall, Pittsburgh is a safe city. The same with New York City. Statistically, for its size, New York is safe.

My list would include:
Camden, NJ
Reading, PA
Harrisburg, PA
Philadelphia
Newark, NJ
Paterson, NJ
Baltimore
Washington, DC
Youngstown, OH (I'll consider it Northeastern since its right near the PA border)
Bridgeport, CT

Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,814,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Scranton. Since the dawn of summer we've had a brutal triple homicide that claimed the life of one of my former friends, an elderly man who died after his throat was slit at random while walking in broad daylight on a downtown street, a home invasion in which an armed victim fought off his assailants with his own gun, muggings of university students, an M80 thrown through the window of a jewelry store, etc. 2008 has been Scranton's most violent year in quite some time.
Scranton is still Mayberry next to most cities. The problem is that we're so used to next to no crime, that a little outbreak of crime has people thinking this is Detroit or Camden or something. Not even close. Like a previous poster said, the fact that we here in Scranton can remember and name all of the individual violent crimes means that this is nowhere close to a dangerous city. I'm sure people in Camden couldn't remember all of the crimes that happened that day, nevermind the whole year.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:07 PM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastNuYawk View Post
damn just look at the NY Daily news crime section. Most of it is in the same areas.
New York Crime Headlines and Articles - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/index.html - broken link)
I think I read something that said that about 80% or so of the people in the NY State Department of Corrections as prisoners come from 7 neighbrohoods in NYC. I'll have to find out where I saw that.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:10 PM

Default Here it is......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think I read something that said that about 80% or so of the people in the NY State Department of Corrections as prisoners come from 7 neighbrohoods in NYC. I'll have to find out where I saw that.
This article says 75% and it is under the heading "Strange Math in the Census":Incarceration Nation The US is the World

and here:http://ucicorrections.seweb.uci.edu/....ppt#273,3,Why Reentry is Emerging as Key Topic Now

Old 12-30-2008, 07:13 PM

Default Even more on this.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This article says 75% and it is under the heading "Strange Math in the Census":Incarceration Nation The US is the World

and how the prison system in turn brings big bucks to prison communities that wouldn't otherwise have such an economic base to build off of:New York News - Million-Dollar Blocks - page 1 - Village Voice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.