U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:10 PM

902 posts, read 2,439,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The numbers say New York is safer than many, if not most, major cities. NYC's violent crime rate is 7.3 per 1,000 people. To put it in perspective, LA's is 12.7 per 100,000, Albany NY's is 12.3 per 100,000, San Francisco's is 7.4 per 100k, Houston is 11.8 per 100k and Camden NJ's is 24 per 100,000 people.

Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed
I was almost positive that LA has a lower violent crime rate than SF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:50 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
Going by the stats right now I'd guess Camden, New Jersey. Possibly Hartford, Connecticut if Camden isn't Northeast enough. (Partly chose Hartford because it seems to have higher traffic fatalities than the other cities I looked at with high murder or violence rates)

Last edited by Thomas R.; 11-04-2009 at 12:58 AM..

Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,275,676 times
Camden, NJ
Patterson, NJ
Newark, NJ
Trenton, NJ
Baltimore, MD
Bridgeport, CT
Philadelphia, PA
Washington DC

Why are so many people keep calling Hartford dangerous? My family is from there and from the countless times I've visited I've never figured it s a dangerous place, not compared to say Baltimore anyway. From my experience Bridgeport has a reputation for being dangerous, and New Haven doesn't really have all that much crime.

The majority of these cities are gentrifying though. For example, DC's crime is a far, far cry from where it was in the drug-rich 80's, and crime once again dropped this year (in DC as well as the immediate suburban counties in MD) to record lows.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:54 AM

On Hartford I was including traffic stats as well as violent crime. Also we're limited to the Northeast in this and I wasn't really thinking of Baltimore as Northeast. Geographically it doesn't make sense to me to call it Northeast, it's more center-east or Mid-Atlantic. I'd considered Philadelphia though, but it's not quite so traffic accident proned. It looks like it would have been a better choice though even factoring that in. Or maybe Springfield, Massachusetts if I wanted something in New England.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_06.html#s (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_06.html#r - broken link)

Old 11-04-2009, 01:11 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,275,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
On Hartford I was including traffic stats as well as violent crime. Also we're limited to the Northeast in this and I wasn't really thinking of Baltimore as Northeast. Geographically it doesn't make sense to me to call it Northeast, it's more center-east or Mid-Atlantic. I'd considered Philadelphia though, but it's not quite so traffic accident proned. It looks like it would have been a better choice though even factoring that in. Or maybe Springfield, Massachusetts if I wanted something in New England.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_06.html#s (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_06.html#r - broken link)
The FBI (which you're quoting) considers it Northeast, but let's not get into that. I don't think traffic fatalities should be factored into whether a city is dangerous or not. There's a lot of things that could make a city dangerous including traffic accidents, but I think most people put a much heavier weight on crime, especially since an individual would have much more control over whether they're involved in an accident or not (cross at crosswalks, wear seatbelt, don't talk on cellphone behind wheel, obey speed limits, don't drink and drive etc.) vs whether they are a victim of a crime.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:49 PM

Well then maybe Baltimore is it with Philadelphia and Dover, Delaware close.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:03 AM

383 posts, read 1,181,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
NY (Too many neighborhoods so I group them all by geography)

South Bronx
North-East Bronx
Uptown
North Brooklyn
Southern Queens

NJ

Newark
East Orange
Atlantic City
Trenton
Camden

Pennsylvania

North Philly
West Philly

Maryland

Baltimore
DC ( close enough to Maryland)
I agree with this!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:18 AM

383 posts, read 1,181,013 times
I disagree with New York City crime rate. Me, Someone who has lived here there whole life, Born in East Flatbush, and rasied in Flatlands and Co- op city in the BX and now lives in Clinton Hill. Many Violent crimes go uncounted for in NY. Over this past summer out on ave i and 48st (which is in flatlands) there where three murders within a few days on that block alone, and No Police or nothing came. All three where gang related also. Most of the time cops speed over to Glennwood Projects over on H and 56. Mad crime happens over there most drug related and violent crimes. Theres always mad beef over there because its crip terrorty. Every now and then some small street gang will wonder over there and start trouble, you mostly hear about someone getting stabed and slashed, but every now and then people will get shot, and die. Cops in NY don't care about the hood honest to God they don't.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:59 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,845,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
I disagree with New York City crime rate. Me, Someone who has lived here there whole life, Born in East Flatbush, and rasied in Flatlands and Co- op city in the BX and now lives in Clinton Hill. Many Violent crimes go uncounted for in NY. Over this past summer out on ave i and 48st (which is in flatlands) there where three murders within a few days on that block alone, and No Police or nothing came. All three where gang related also. Most of the time cops speed over to Glennwood Projects over on H and 56. Mad crime happens over there most drug related and violent crimes. Theres always mad beef over there because its crip terrorty. Every now and then some small street gang will wonder over there and start trouble, you mostly hear about someone getting stabed and slashed, but every now and then people will get shot, and die. Cops in NY don't care about the hood honest to God they don't.
you be around I in the 40,s?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:06 AM

276 posts, read 331,372 times
When it comes to NYC, its best to take worst sections of each borough, group them together, then calculate the crime rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or