U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2008, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Teaneck, NJ
1,576 posts, read 5,134,955 times
Reputation: 683

Advertisements

I would choose

From worst to least...
Camden, NJ
Baltimore, MD
Irvington, NJ
Philadelphia, PA
Newark, NJ
New York City, NY
Pittsburgh, PA

what do you guys think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2008, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Newtown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania
463 posts, read 1,367,359 times
Reputation: 275
My friend and I once parked on a side street in inner-city Baltimore to go to a concert about a mile away. It seemed like a good idea durring the daytime, but it was kind of freaky to walk a mile back to the car at 11pm through rough neighborhoods once the concert was over. I just said to my friend "keep walking and try not to make eye contact". A few people tried to say something to us but I honestly couldn't understand any of them. One person even threw a can of orange soda at us but missed--we kept walking. Let me tell you it was a relife to get back onto I-83 heading out of the city!

As a note, I don't want to sound like I'm dissing Baltimore because I love the city, expecially the inner-harbor area. I guess we just chose a bad place to park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Newtown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania
463 posts, read 1,367,359 times
Reputation: 275
Also, although these cities aren't quite as big as the others listed, Allentown and Reading both have very rough inner-cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2008, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
5,515 posts, read 17,672,550 times
Reputation: 2059
NY (Too many neighborhoods so I group them all by geography)

South Bronx
North-East Bronx
Uptown
North Brooklyn
Southern Queens

NJ

Newark
East Orange
Atlantic City
Trenton
Camden

Pennsylvania

North Philly
West Philly

Maryland

Baltimore
DC ( close enough to Maryland)

Last edited by SuperMario; 10-09-2008 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2008, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 18,203,309 times
Reputation: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
Also, although these cities aren't quite as big as the others listed, Allentown and Reading both have very rough inner-cities.
don't forget Chester

and i think Hartford, Bridgeport & New Haven in CT are in the running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2008, 02:23 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,318,981 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
My friend and I once parked on a side street in inner-city Baltimore to go to a concert about a mile away. It seemed like a good idea durring the daytime, but it was kind of freaky to walk a mile back to the car at 11pm through rough neighborhoods once the concert was over. I just said to my friend "keep walking and try not to make eye contact". A few people tried to say something to us but I honestly couldn't understand any of them. One person even threw a can of orange soda at us but missed--we kept walking. Let me tell you it was a relife to get back onto I-83 heading out of the city!

As a note, I don't want to sound like I'm dissing Baltimore because I love the city, expecially the inner-harbor area. I guess we just chose a bad place to park.
I know what you mean. Where was the concert at? Ya see in Baltimore, the neighborhoods that touch the river are very rich and nice, than the neighborhoods that touch those neighborhoods are also nice. After that, it can get straight ghetto, and than after you start getting further from the core, it either gets really bad (extreme south, and east Baltimore) or Extremely nice and rich (North, and west Baltimore)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2008, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Teaneck, NJ
1,576 posts, read 5,134,955 times
Reputation: 683
good inputs..
I didnt know Allentown had some rough area's.. thats where that Dorney Park is right??

And Bridgeport and New Haven, your right..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2008, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Newtown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania
463 posts, read 1,367,359 times
Reputation: 275
Allentown's rough areas are a couple miles east of Dorney Park, which is on the edge of the city bordering the suburbs.

By the way, the concert in Baltimore was at the Lyric Opera House, and although I can't remember where we parked I am pretty sure it was to the northeast of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2008, 08:59 AM
 
769 posts, read 2,010,598 times
Reputation: 407
Buffalo, NY and Rochester, NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2008, 01:42 PM
 
8,376 posts, read 27,775,737 times
Reputation: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I would choose

From worst to least...
Camden, NJ
Baltimore, MD
Irvington, NJ
Philadelphia, PA
Newark, NJ (
New York City, NY
Pittsburgh, PA

what do you guys think??
Camden, NJ
Irvington, NJ
Baltimore, MD
Newark, NJ
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
NYC (although the bad parts bite harder than any of the above)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top