Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:59 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times

Advertisements

Of all the terrific national parks we have which ones are your favorites and why?
Any oldies out there? I remember back in the early sixties, before camping became popular, the National Parks were not crowded. Back then the kids at school asked what I was going to do for my summer vacation. I told them we're going to Montana to see Glacier National Park. The response was "Huh? What for?"
Outdoor equipment was almost non-existent. This was during the era of heavy canvas tents with no floors, heavy cotton sleeping bags which were still chilly in July, and cooking on a Coleman stove. But the places I've seen were spectacular and many great memories remain.
I've been to most parks out west except the ones in California. Where have you been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 12:12 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,583 times
I've been to quiet a few. I like a lot of them.
I've been to:
Big Bend NP
Guadalupe Mountains NP
Carlsbad Caverns NP
Grand Canyon NP
Yellowstone NP
Grand Tetons NP
Mesa Verde NP
Rocky Mountain NP
Everglades NP
Canyonlands NP
Arches NP
Great Sand Dunes NP
Petrified Forest NP
Bryce Canyon NP
Capitol Reef NP
Painted Desert NP
Dinosaur NP (I went when it was a monument though)
I've also been to various National Monuments... and I don't want to go to saguaro NP, cause I've already seen the cacus in the wild. In mexico they're everywhere, go south of Nogales and the drive you'll see some with 25 arms... or more or less...
My favorite was Grand Tetons and Rocky Mountain.
Tetons for the view, you literally have mountains out of the ground at a lakes edge. Mountains with snowy peaks, it was beautiful...
and Rocky Mountains for the Tundra it was cool to see these little flowers called 'forget-me-not'.
kudos to Everglades too, they take you on a tram ride and you will like 100% see gators, you can spot them while driving. You see Snakes and fish too.
Florida has some GREAT state parks, some with tons of gators, I like Manatee Springs, you can see manatees and they have this crystal clear (literally its so beautiful) swimming hole which the water is ALWAYS at 70 degrees. I was lucky enough to have the Manatees swim into the swimming hole, although everyone was demanded out of the water it was too cool. the water is really deep too... John Pennekamp and Bahia Honda deserve Mention too.
ANYWAYS
Yellowstone is cool too, they have this one geyser that is like a toilet hahahahaha

Old 12-27-2007, 12:21 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Rocky Mountain NP
Arches NP
Zion NP
Grand Canyon NP
Bryce Canyon NP
Grand Tetons NP
Canyonlands NP
Painted Desert NP

And last but not least, the most incredible of them all: Yellowstone NP.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:01 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
I think we've been to most of them. Yellowstone is probably my favorite--it's hard to beat the mud pots and that bizarre formation at the northern end of the park that looks like a hollywood set for one of the Busby Berkeley musicals.

I have very fond memories of Big Bend Park. Great rafting there, and if you ever go there, take the burro ride over to the tiny little town of Boquillas, Mexico.

We have a national park within walking distance of our house, so for that reason Great Falls National Park is one of my favorites. It's not a big park, but interesting in its own way. And absolutely free if you hike along the Potomac to get there--you gotta love a national park that gives city residents an incentive (free admission) to get some real exercise.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:16 AM

107 posts, read 350,298 times
My favorites were Arches, Yosemite, and Rocky Mnt. N.P. I got hundreds more to explore though. It is a shame. I still wish I lived out west.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:55 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,847 times
These are some of my faves:

Grand Canyon NP
Zion NP
Mount Rainier NP
Yellowstone NP
Grand Teton NP
Yosemite NP
Lassen Volcanic NP
Arches NP
Saguaro NP
Carlsbad Caverns NP
Mesa Verde NP
Olympic NP
Bryce Canyon NP

These are the ones I have not visited but most want to see:

Denali NP
Glacier NP
Acadia NP

Old 12-27-2007, 12:47 PM

572 posts, read 1,995,552 times
Hovenweep was one of my favorites.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:55 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I'm watching a documentary on the Travel Channel as we speak about Yosemite National Park, and I'm astonished by its natural beauty. For as much as folks on this forum bash California for one reason or another, what other state has such diversity in terrain and natural surroundings? Only in CA could you enjoy the Sierra-Nevadas, Lake Tahoe, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco Bay, Catalina Island, and various other beautiful sites.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:35 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times
I love Theodore Roosevelt national park in North Dakota! Its beautiful! The north Unit is the best part. its so peaceful and not many people around! there are Vast areas of flowers that overlook valleys with huge rivers running though it like a snake. its amazing! and there are really nice cacti there with flowers budding out of them! and buffalo roam through and wild horses, its such an amazing place! Other national parks that i really liked are Shenandoah NP, Grand teton NP, Bryce canyon NP, Arches NP, Glacier NP, and Mesa Verde NP

Old 12-27-2007, 02:51 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
Glacier in Montana-loved the space and rugged outdoors, great for hiking, uncluttered by civilization, not hot.
Isle Royale in Michigan-spent two weeks there backpacking and hiking. I loved it and the ferry to and from was a great experience.
---I should preface that the parks in Arizona and Utah were great (Grand Canyon, etc) but I just don't like really hot days and they were going through a heat wave there that sent me running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.