U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:42 PM

632 posts, read 687,330 times

Advertisements

That's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:53 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,489,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowing Mindspin View Post

That's it.
Hmmm, I would cut off Pacific Northwest about 1/4 of the way down in California, with the majority of it just being "West." San Diego and Los Angeles should probably be Southwest.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:55 PM

271 posts, read 532,676 times
Florida is not the south anymore, to many yankee retirees. Its more cuban and haitian and retirees from new york to be considered the south anymore, maryland is not the south either. the rest yeah as far as the south goes.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:10 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,282,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingOfSouthDakota View Post
Florida is not the south anymore, to many yankee retirees. Its more cuban and haitian and retirees from new york to be considered the south anymore, maryland is not the south either. the rest yeah as far as the south goes.
The panhandle and central Florida are still pretty Southern.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:14 PM

463 posts, read 1,370,658 times
Looks good, but if I were to be nit-picky I have a few suggestions: the line between "Northeast" and "South" should roughly fit the 39th parrellel, which would include northern West Virginia, Maryland, and about half of Deleware. Also, Florida ceases to be "Southern" about halfway down, it's more of its own world down there having more in common with the Carribean than the South culturally. Also, I'd push the line between West and Midwest a touch to the east so that Denver fits into the Western category. But those would pretty much be my only alterations!

Old 10-10-2008, 10:51 PM

53 posts, read 128,423 times
The Pacific Northwest would extend down to maybe San Simeon, California.

The rest of California is definitely in the West.

Yes, some of southern Utah in the Southwest.

I think the West should include more of Colorado. At least Denver.

I'll take your word for the cut-off between the Midwest and the South, since I've never been to those states that are divided.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:01 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,982,904 times
Pretty good and interesting map, thank you!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:42 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,599,525 times
Yes, Death Valley is just like Glacier National Park.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:46 AM

5,417 posts, read 7,734,231 times
Something tells me my Brothers and Sisters from the Deep South would not agree with the southern boundary in the least. The northern most cutoff should be on the Kentucky/Indiana-Ohio line.

Plus, half of Missouri in the South? I don't think folks from Missouri would agree with this designation. I'm pretty sure that most Missourians would place themselves squarely in the Midwest.

Finally, there is absolutely no way that Delware or Maryland are southern.

Southern States:
Alabama (Deep South)
Mississippi (Deep South)
Georgia (Deep South)
South Carolina (Deep South)
Louisiana
Tennessee
Arkansas
North Carolina
Kentucky
Texas
Oklahoma
Virginia (part of it)
Florida (part of it)
West Virginia (part of it)

The rest of your regional designations look pretty good IMO. Overall, good job.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:04 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,982,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Something tells me my Brothers and Sisters from the Deep South would not agree with the southern boundary in the least. The northern most cutoff should be on the Kentucky/Indiana-Ohio line.

Plus, half of Missouri in the South? I don't think folks from Missouri would agree with this designation. I'm pretty sure that most Missourians would place themselves squarely in the Midwest.

Finally, there is absolutely no way that Delware or Maryland are southern.

Southern States:
Alabama (Deep South)
Mississippi (Deep South)
Georgia (Deep South)
South Carolina (Deep South)
Louisiana
Tennessee
Arkansas
North Carolina
Kentucky
Texas
Oklahoma
Virginia (part of it)
Florida (part of it)
West Virginia (part of it)

The rest of your regional designations look pretty good IMO. Overall, good job.

I agree with you but Southern Indiana has pockets of places that are pretty Southern in character. No where in Ohio or Illinios is Southern. Southern Missouri is. Overall I think it is a pretty good map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.