U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocation desired to anywhere in USA, need ideas, currently live in North Dakota, apartment living, crime rates low, sporting events, nearby college, outdoor activities, hiking, biking, church attendance, museums

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 PM

180 posts, read 452,950 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am thoroughly searching for a place to relocate to in the Spring of 2009. I live in North Dakota now and need someplace at least a little warmer. I have a few specific needs though.

Weather...I am looking for somewhere with average winter highs of at least 30F. I can handle an occasional cold snap. That will seem warm by ND standards. Prefer less snow, but I can handle some. I don't want tons of rain, maybe 50 in a year or less. Would prefer to avoid tornado alley (NE, KS, OK, TX). I cannot be near water where I would have to evacuate for a hurricane.

City Size and Layout...I am looking for a smaller to mid size city, not a big city with suburbs. I don't want to live where the city is sprawling out of control and everyone is moving there and raising costs. I work for Target, and hope to transfer with them, so the city has to have one. I cannot drive due to an eye condition, and would like to be able to live and walk to work like I do now, so I would like a city with apartments within 2 miles of the Target store and other shopping and dining. Must have sidewalks and not a ton of steep hills.

Crime...Needs to be fairly safe, especially if I will be walking

Apartments...I am only interested in apartments, and am looking for a city where one bedroom apartments can easily be found under $550 a month

Transportation...I need a city with at least some sort of public transit. I plan on walking most of the time. I don't expect great service in a smaller city, just one to use when needed. I also need to be close to an airport with at least a few airlines. If good shuttle service to a nearby airport is available, the city itself does not have to have an airport.

Activites...Not too picky here, I'd like to have maybe a college nearby for sporting events. I like to bike, hike, go to museums, and get invoved with the church.

Politics/Religion...I am a Chrisitan and fairly conservative, but lean democaratic on certain issues.

Here are some cities I am considering and some I have ruled out

Considering...

Great Falls, MT
St Joseph, MO
Jonesboro, AR
Bowling Green, KY
Lexington, KY
Spokane, WA

Cities I have ruled out...

Rapid City, SD
Evanville, IN
Missoula, MT
Idaho Falls, ID

If you have any other suggestions or thoughts on the cities I am already considering, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:37 PM

11,871 posts, read 32,899,856 times
Jonesboro AR is also kind of in Tornado Alley.

You might also want to consider Johnson City or Kingsport TN. Both have Target stores, both have bus systems, and both are adjacent to the Tri Cities Airport in NE TN as well as Bristol Motor Speedway. Johnson city has a university (East Tennessee State), and both cities are nestled in the mountains. It doesn't snow very much in the cities although you can see the snow up in the mountains from down in the cities. It's a very conservative, very Christian area with low crime. Kingsport has about 45,000 people, Johnson City about 60,000.

Johnson City:

Kingsport:

Old 10-09-2008, 09:42 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,135,417 times
I think you should check out The area of Buffalo, NY. (towns around it are nice also)

Nice city, safe for it's population standards, friendly enviornment, diverse, no horrific storms besides bizzards now and then, nice seasonal weather, and you will definately find an apartment there.

It also has a Target in Buffalo, and like 6 other ones in the surrounding towns

I see you didnt really consider the North East area.. so maybe you should research into Buffalo just to see how it is.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:07 PM

463 posts, read 1,367,470 times
I might suggest the city I live: Williamsport, Pennsylvania; population 30,000. It tends to fit most of your chriteria: it is warmer than North Dakota; the average winter highs are in the mid-30s. There is a Target here though it is a few miles out of the city, however there is bus service to the mall next to the spot where the Target is located. The city has a decent bus service and most parts of the city are safe. You can get a decent apartment for $400-$500 easily.

Williamsport also has two colleges, and being home of the Little Leauge World Series has more baseball fields than one would expect for a city this size. Plus, you are only an hour away from Penn State for games, not to mention three state colleges and two prestegious private schools within 50 miles. There is not really any suburban sprawl; the population has remained more or less consistant since the 50s. While the area around Williamsport is hilly, the city itself and the surrounding towns are in a beautiful river valley that is mostly flat with gradual hills.

There is an airport here, but I'm afraid that there are few direct flights out of here anymore. The area is great for biking and hiking (I'm an avid biker myself), and is fairly conservative but not over the top so, and there are a number of churches here; real nice looking ones too.

I know the Target here desperately needs people and it would be happy to have you on board! I used to work there, believe it or not, and it's a decent crew running the place. I hope you give Williamsport some consideration! It's a pretty place and in fairly good condition. I've definitely enjoyed my time living here and exploring the downtown and surrounding areas on my bycicle.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:41 PM

Thanks to those of you who posted such quick replies

As far as the places that have been mentioned so far,

First Buffalo...the main concern I have there is the lake effect snow. I think it would just make things too difficult for someone who will be walking. I can handle some snow, but getting a foot or more at a time would be too much I think, especially if they plow it on to the sidewalks. I know upstate NY is pretty cheap though.

As for Williamsport...I just knew someone was going to suggest Pennsylvania. Here is the honest truth. I am actually a native of PA, and most of my family is there. The problem is, there is a lot of tension within both sides of my family (not with me), and I feel it is best to keep my distance and stay further away. I get my fill when I visit for a week each summer. I am sure Williamsport is very nice though.

As for Kingsport/Johnson City...I have actually considered this area quite a bit. My main questions would be,

Are there apartments within 2 miles of the Targets in either city? Since the bus systems only run until 6pm or so, and not on Sunday, I still need to be able to get to and from work when I work evenings or Sundays.

Second, can you live in the Tri Cities and not have to go to one city for one thing, and another city for something else. I don't think it would be very easy to get in between the cities without a car since they are 20 miles apart I think. So if I live in Kingsport, will I need to make trips to Johnson City for certain things or vice versa?

Thanks to everyone again!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:52 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,649,938 times
St. Joseph, from my understanding, is pretty nice.
I'm guessing you chose it because it is close to KC's airport?

The climate in Missouri (it can vary some), probably won't be as cold as ND, though the summers can be brutal. But St. Joseph seems like a good fit. There is the chance still of a tornado, but they're not likely to hit you.

Probably not a lot of diversity (91% white), but it should be fairly safe, and rent for that price shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure about how good their airport is, but you could consider Springfield, Missouri. It has like 4 colleges there (Missouri State University, Drury University, Central Bible College, and Evangle University (Christian College)) and some smaller higher education schools. Springfield is a bit bigger at 100k, but it has those colleges, an airport (I'm not sure how big it is), and it's headquarters of Bass Pro Shops and a few churches. I have also heard good things about James River Assembly of God. I don't know what denomination you are, but that church (it's a big church. You may or may not like that) seems to be a good one.

Springfield also has AA Minor-League Baseball. (St. Louis Cardinals affiliate)

Springfield, Missouri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Springfield-Branson National Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
craigslist: springfield, MO classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

St. Joseph is fine, but I would also look into Springfield.

According to Google there's a target at 18205 E Primrose St, Springfield

Streetview is a neat tool, if you have the time.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...h&z=14&layer=c

If you find a place you like on Craigslist, you can use Google Maps to find out how far it is from Target.

Springfield does not have trains, but it does have buses for public transportation.
http://www.cityutilities.net/transit/main.htm (broken link)

I've never had any experience with this place, but this little townhouse is less than 2 miles from Target.
http://springfield.craigslist.org/apa/871273781.html (broken link)

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 10-09-2008 at 11:26 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 PM

11,871 posts, read 32,899,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
Thanks to those of you who posted such quick replies

As far as the places that have been mentioned so far,

First Buffalo...the main concern I have there is the lake effect snow. I think it would just make things too difficult for someone who will be walking. I can handle some snow, but getting a foot or more at a time would be too much I think, especially if they plow it on to the sidewalks. I know upstate NY is pretty cheap though.

As for Williamsport...I just knew someone was going to suggest Pennsylvania. Here is the honest truth. I am actually a native of PA, and most of my family is there. The problem is, there is a lot of tension within both sides of my family (not with me), and I feel it is best to keep my distance and stay further away. I get my fill when I visit for a week each summer. I am sure Williamsport is very nice though.

As for Kingsport/Johnson City...I have actually considered this area quite a bit. My main questions would be,

Are there apartments within 2 miles of the Targets in either city? Since the bus systems only run until 6pm or so, and not on Sunday, I still need to be able to get to and from work when I work evenings or Sundays.

Second, can you live in the Tri Cities and not have to go to one city for one thing, and another city for something else. I don't think it would be very easy to get in between the cities without a car since they are 20 miles apart I think. So if I live in Kingsport, will I need to make trips to Johnson City for certain things or vice versa?

Thanks to everyone again!
I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with the apartment situations in Kingsport or Johnson City, however I'm pretty sure the new Target in Kingsport is in the middle of town which would indicate that there should be lots of apartments within fairly easy walking distance. The Target in Johnson City is outside of town.

As far as needing to go from one city to the other, I guess it depends on what you need. But I bet if you lived in Kingsport you'd rarely ever need to go to Johnson City, and vice-versa. Both cities have their own malls with essentially the same stores, and both cities have pretty much the same grocery stores, banks, restaurants, etc. Johnson City does have the region's university, however.

You might want to post a question about apartments in the Kingsport-Johnson City subforum in the Tennessee forum. Good luck!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
St. Joseph, from my understanding, is pretty nice.
I'm guessing you chose it because it is close to KC's airport?

The climate in Missouri (it can vary some), probably won't be as cold as ND, though the summers can be brutal. But St. Joseph seems like a good fit. There is the chance still of a tornado, but they're not likely to hit you.

Probably not a lot of diversity (91% white), but it should be fairly safe, and rent for that price shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure about how good their airport is, but you could consider Springfield, Missouri. It has like 4 colleges there (Missouri State University, Drury University, Central Bible College, and Evangle University (Christian College)) and some smaller higher education schools. Springfield is a bit bigger at 100k, but it has those colleges, an airport (I'm not sure how big it is), and it's headquarters of Bass Pro Shops and a few churches. I have also heard good things about James River Assembly of God. I don't know what denomination you are, but that church (it's a big church. You may or may not like that) seems to be a good one.

Springfield also has AA Minor-League Baseball. (St. Louis Cardinals affiliate)

Springfield, Missouri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Springfield-Branson National Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
craigslist: springfield, MO classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

St. Joseph is fine, but I would also look into Springfield.

According to Google there's a target at 18205 E Primrose St, Springfield

Streetview is a neat tool, if you have the time.
18205 E Primrose St, Springfield, MO - Google Maps

If you find a place you like on Craigslist, you can use Google Maps to find out how far it is from Target.

Springfield does not have trains, but it does have buses for public transportation.
City Utilities of Springfield, Missouri (http://www.cityutilities.net/transit/main.htm - broken link)

I've never had any experience with this place, but this little townhouse is less than 2 miles from Target.
2 Bath, Great Location!!!! (http://springfield.craigslist.org/apa/871273781.html - broken link)
Believe it or not, I actually went to Missouri State in Springfield. I have lived in 5 states, but nowhere was I more comfortable than in that region. That is why I have considered St Joseph and Jonesboro, to get back to the area.

I have also considered going back to Springfield, as it has changed somewhat since I left in 2002. I guess I am kind of looking for somewhere new to explore but with a lot of the same aspects.

I would use the KC airport if I were in St Joseph. They have shuttle service and flying out of KC is super cheap compared to Fargo or Springfield. If I were in Jonesboro, I would fly out of Memphis.

I am going to St Joseph at the end of month to check out the city.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:45 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
How about Pittsburgh? Great fun city with lots of culture and pretty safe in most areas. It is a safe bet you could find a nice place in your price range too. Pittsburgh has lots of great universities like carnegie mellon, U of Pittsburgh, Duquesne etc. They have a subway and good bus system as well. I don't think you could go wrong with Pittsburgh

Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,649,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
Believe it or not, I actually went to Missouri State in Springfield. I have lived in 5 states, but nowhere was I more comfortable than in that region. That is why I have considered St Joseph and Jonesboro, to get back to the area.

I have also considered going back to Springfield, as it has changed somewhat since I left in 2002. I guess I am kind of looking for somewhere new to explore but with a lot of the same aspects.

I would use the KC airport if I were in St Joseph. They have shuttle service and flying out of KC is super cheap compared to Fargo or Springfield. If I were in Jonesboro, I would fly out of Memphis.

I am going to St Joseph at the end of month to check out the city.
If most of your potential options are in Missouri, you could certainly ask this in the Missouri forum. They may be able to give you more detailed answers. I like Springfield well enough. I have friends who live/went to school there. My church has youth convention in that area (either Springfield or Branson) every year. I've never been to St. Joseph or Jonesboro, though. If I had to live somewhere other than here (the boonies in Southeast MO), I would probably live closer to St. Louis, but I'm a big St. Louis Sports nut, which is the main reason why.

Wherever you choose, Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or