U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:12 PM

414 posts, read 1,589,568 times

Advertisements

I'm from Wisconsin, and due to our abundant supply of freshwater, very lengthy Lake Superior/Lake Michigan shoreline, and otherwise open land and tight-knit rural communities, I'd assume that we'd see a lot of people moving in here, as well as Minnesota. Cities like Chicago would probably decrease in population by the hundreds of thousands or even millions, and a lot of them would probably be coming up north and creating a lot of problems.

Cities like LA, Denver, Phoenix, and Las Vegas would face incredible problems with water and food shortages, many people would probably starve to death, and during summer, thousands and thousands of people would probably die. This is the area (along with Texas) that you probably least want to be in if a depression occurs. Race wars and other fun things are probably likely as well, as there are already millions of people in these cities who don't think of themselves as Americans nor see whites as part of their community or circle.

Cities in the middle of nowhere like Portland and Seattle might be the best off. Water wouldn't be a huge issue, and growing food should allow some sustainability.

Anyone else have some insight? I'm just throwing off ideas here, but its an interesting thing to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 11:34 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,661,713 times
I think we'll be alright.

But I would guess most would move inward, especially to areas that can support farming and essential things like that.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:12 AM

1,528 posts, read 5,715,292 times
What do you think Humans are helpless???
The sunbelt is inhabited for a reason, if it was so barren then everyone would be in Wisconsin.
You have those cold winter which everyone could die from, no one is going to starve to death...The desert is littered with food.
Cacutus is eatable, and so are the fruits, you could catch meat...we're talking cave man stuff...
Prior to everything, these area were inhabited...so I mean if they can do it...what makes you think anyone else can't.
Starvation, water, and what not will be problems...but every area has its problems...

Old 10-10-2008, 08:29 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,429,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
What do you think Humans are helpless???
The sunbelt is inhabited for a reason, if it was so barren then everyone would be in Wisconsin.
You have those cold winter which everyone could die from, no one is going to starve to death...The desert is littered with food.
Cacutus is eatable, and so are the fruits, you could catch meat...we're talking cave man stuff...
Sorry, but the food supply in the desert is an absolute JOKE compared to what it is up North. Not only do we have more food that you can eat right off the tree, but our soil is far superior as well. Wildlife is more abundant here, as is water, the things that you need to survive. And sure, you can eat cactus, but seriously, who wants to? And besides, cacti only flower/bear fruit for a few weeks in spring, thats it. So its not like you can wander up to a cactus in, say, September and pluck off its fruit. And even then, only a few cacti produce fruit and its nothing great anyways. I think people would rather come up here and pick apples, cherries, etc, before eating prickly pear fruit.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:53 AM

463 posts, read 1,368,288 times
I think that the larger cities will have the most problems and there would be a flight of people from these cities. As it has been said, places with water problems will be the hardest hit. The south and west will have the worst time in a depression because the bubble was mainly relevent to them and their fall will be more dramatic. I can't imagine here in Central Pennsylvania being effected that much compared to places like Atlanta, Huston, Las Vegas, Phoenix, etc.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:05 AM

32,377 posts, read 55,190,768 times
I dont understand why people say that places with water problems will be the hardes hit? Is it going to stop raining too?

California spent what would cost $100 Billion to todays dollars to build hundreds of miles of aqueducts that send water from the Sierras down the the population and its worked pretty well for the most part.

On top of that, No one conserves like Californians do when push comes to shove.

I get the sense that many outside the West see the possibility of the West and South deteriorating as some sort of comeuppance for decades of outgrowing other parts of the country. And it just sounds like people are envious and wish to see the West and South fall. And fall hard at that.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:20 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,777,513 times
I don't really see much changing. Except maybe all the illegals that swam up here will have no reason to be here, and hopefully swim back!

Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 AM

1,992 posts, read 6,036,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
I'm from Wisconsin, and due to our abundant supply of freshwater, very lengthy Lake Superior/Lake Michigan shoreline, and otherwise open land and tight-knit rural communities, I'd assume that we'd see a lot of people moving in here, as well as Minnesota. Cities like Chicago would probably decrease in population by the hundreds of thousands or even millions, and a lot of them would probably be coming up north and creating a lot of problems.

Cities like LA, Denver, Phoenix, and Las Vegas would face incredible problems with water and food shortages, many people would probably starve to death, and during summer, thousands and thousands of people would probably die. This is the area (along with Texas) that you probably least want to be in if a depression occurs. Race wars and other fun things are probably likely as well, as there are already millions of people in these cities who don't think of themselves as Americans nor see whites as part of their community or circle.

Cities in the middle of nowhere like Portland and Seattle might be the best off. Water wouldn't be a huge issue, and growing food should allow some sustainability.

Anyone else have some insight? I'm just throwing off ideas here, but its an interesting thing to think about.
Portland and Seattle aren't "in the middle of nowhere". The Vancouver/Seattle/Portland corridor is home to over 9 million people. It's not like we are a bunch of hermits with farms in our front yards LOL.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:42 AM

53 posts, read 128,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont understand why people say that places with water problems will be the hardes hit? Is it going to stop raining too?

California spent what would cost $100 Billion to todays dollars to build hundreds of miles of aqueducts that send water from the Sierras down the the population and its worked pretty well for the most part.

On top of that, No one conserves like Californians do when push comes to shove.

I get the sense that many outside the West see the possibility of the West and South deteriorating as some sort of comeuppance for decades of outgrowing other parts of the country. And it just sounds like people are envious and wish to see the West and South fall. And fall hard at that.
I agree, lol. How does a depression influence the weather? Lol.

I don't think people in the western deserts would have any more problems than people in the north and northeast. In fact, they may have fewer.

Well, Las Vegas might have a problem. It depends on how much they rely on the strip for income. Of course, depressed people might still gamble.

I think most of Utah would be just fine. It's a high desert, but we have our own sustainable water supply and dams and plenty of snow, and our own farming, as do the surrounding states.

And yes, Seattle and Portland are not in the middle of nowhere, lol.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:31 PM

414 posts, read 1,589,568 times
All I meant by "in the middle of nowhere" was they are far enough away from other huge centers of population where they will not have lots of people flooding in that don't already live in the area. San Francisco is the closest big city to these cities, and its like what, 10 hours from Portland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.