U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:55 AM

3,703 posts, read 8,794,168 times

Advertisements

Gay Marriage was just made legal in CT. It makes CT the 3rd state in the US, after MA and CA, to make gay marriage legal.

Follow the link below, for the historic legislation just announced:

Latest News from The Hartford Courant, including latest local news, latest nation and world news and latest sports news. -- Courant.com

Old 10-10-2008, 11:16 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,470,717 times
Don't count CA just yet. Our courts didn't render it legal, they simply stated that there was nothing in the CA Constitution that made it illegal. Many people have made the wrong assumption. Measure 8 which amends the constitution will make it illegal if it passes. The last time gay marriage came up to the voters it was defeated. It was challenged in court and the court simply stated that it wasn't illegal. Many people are interpreting it as being made legal but we won't have a definitive answer till the general election. For now it is legal by default but there is no law specifically legalizing gay marriage.

Though I don't hold much stock in polls, the polls indicate it could go either way. As usual in CA, it's the undecideds who will decide this one.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Don't count CA just yet. Our courts didn't render it legal, they simply stated that there was nothing in the CA Constitution that made it illegal. Many people have made the wrong assumption. Measure 8 which amends the constitution will make it illegal if it passes. The last time gay marriage came up to the voters it was defeated. It was challenged in court and the court simply stated that it wasn't illegal. Many people are interpreting it as being made legal but we won't have a definitive answer till the general election. For now it is legal by default but there is no law specifically legalizing gay marriage.

Though I don't hold much stock in polls, the polls indicate it could go either way. As usual in CA, it's the undecideds who will decide this one.
Yeah, that's what I've read--it's going up for a vote in November. It will be interesting to see what the people decide. I know they voted before and it was defeated, but wasn't that several years ago? I think the nation's attitude and gay acceptance has come a long way in 4-5 years.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:13 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,443,872 times
Aren't they so "progressive"? They're legitimizing a sexual orientation that goes against the order of nature. Bowing to degenerates. Rather pathetic.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:17 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,185,928 times
Awesome! This is great news for the people of Connecticut, and it gives hope to many couples in other states! Congratulations, CT!

Old 10-10-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Aren't they so "progressive"? They're legitimizing a sexual orientation that goes against the order of nature. Bowing to degenerates. Rather pathetic.
I think what's "pathetic" is an individual such as yourself calling people degenerates.

I mean if you are against homosexuality, that doesn't give you a right to be rude.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:27 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,884,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I think what's "pathetic" is an individual such as yourself calling people degenerates.

I mean if you are against homosexuality, that doesn't give you a right to be a rude a**hole.
I am for rights for gays/ trnasgendered etc, but don't you think that you are not any better by insulting that other guy? He calls names, you call him names, sounds like the circle has been completed of accepting opinions of others views

Old 10-10-2008, 01:08 PM

5,519 posts, read 17,707,236 times
NOOOO!

Old 10-10-2008, 01:19 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,355,551 times
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Old 10-10-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I am for rights for gays/ trnasgendered etc, but don't you think that you are not any better by insulting that other guy? He calls names, you call him names, sounds like the circle has been completed of accepting opinions of others views
My goal isn't to be "better" than him. I just want people to be educated.

If he calls gay people degenerates, that's his opinion--but a sadly uninformed and rather rude one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or