Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What natural disasters have you been in?
Hurricane 11 18.03%
Flood 3 4.92%
Earthquake 17 27.87%
Tornando 5 8.20%
Wild Fire 2 3.28%
Blizzard 12 19.67%
Ice Storm 9 14.75%
Other 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:04 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
Believe it or not.... 24 years of my life in Nebraska I never experienced a Tornado. I have been in an ice storm where we lost power for a few weeks.
wow...a few weeks! how did you manage through that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 07:07 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,428,520 times
1. Remnants of a hurricane.
2. Flood.
3. Earthquake.
4. Blizzard.
5. Tornado.
6. Wildfire.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:22 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Where did you experience the tornado?
Waco, Tx

Old 10-11-2008, 11:42 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,053 times
Being in California, I have been through my fair share of earthquakes. Northridge was the biggest one and gave a decent jolt and I had a light fall from the ceiling, but otherwise the house has managed the quakes fine.

In the wild fires of last year, my house was luckily not in danger, but it did effect our family as we sheltered our family friends who lived in a home in Foothill Ranch that backed up to the fire area. They stayed with us for a week and were a complete nervous wreck. My kids had school canceled because the smoke was so bad as ash settled in and blanketed the Saddleback Valley.
Here is what it looked like at night as the flames burned toward homes. It is a beautiful and frightening photo at the same time as the flames reflect into Lake Mission Viejo.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:59 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,244 times
Earthquakes for me.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:02 AM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times
I've been through blizzards, the Loma Prieta (San Francisco) earthquake in 1989, and most recently the San Diego fires last year.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:04 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
we use to have small tornadoes touch down on the outskirts of town in Eastern NM,some would do a little damage to town but most are minor, I was also in the flood that El Paso got 2 years ago, we were going to go into Mexico but the border was closed.

I havent been in a wild fire but I have seen em burning though, we get them every year it seems like in NM.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:13 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Downtown Houston after Hurricane Ike

Sadly alot of the windows Downtown are still boarded up. It's been a month since the Hurricane hit and the windows haven't been replaced yet. Same goes for some of the buildings Uptown and in Greenway Plaza. Alot of the buildings look like they belong in a war torn city and not in the U.S.

It will be nice when everything looks normal again.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:12 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The only natural disaster i've been in is Hurricane Ike. The biggest hassle for me was being without electricty a few days. I'm worried that another storm will come next summer and i'm pretty sure if another hurricane approaches the upper Texas coast I will be heading north to Dallas. The wind was alot more intense than I expected. For at least 5 hours I was scared my roof would be ripped off. It was nice having a few days off from school and work.
My biggest worry is that people will freak out and cause another stampede out of the city that will kill people again, just because they don't want to deal with not having power for a little while. If you're in a well-built structure in Houston or some place further inland from the coast, a storm the strength of Ike shouldn't tear your roof off. To put it in perspective - you're probably more likely to get in a wreck or break down on the road during an evacuation than you are of having some sort of major structural damage to your house or whatever you live in. A stronger storm might be different, but for something like Ike evacuations are probably better reserved for people who live on the coast (e.g. Galveston) or people with special needs. For that matter, evacuating inland doesn't guarantee that you won't lose power if you end up in the path of the storm's remnants. Ike caused power outages as far away as Canada, and people inland might have to wait just as long to get power restored because of electric crews converging on the spot where the storm made landfall. Workers came from all over the place in the effort to restore power to the Houston area after Ike, which means they weren't in other places inland that were affected.

History would indicate that it'll be some time, possibly a decade or two, before another major hurricane hits this part of Texas. But that doesn't mean it couldn't happen next year - it's just that it's not necessarily likely.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:33 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,975 times
Too bad I could only choose one disaster, I've been in a few: Hurricane, flood, earthquake, ice storm, and one not listed- volcanic eruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.