U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 02:40 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,132,870 times

Advertisements

Not beer...I love beer. It kinda stinks as I come in on I-94 from the West around the more industrial areas and I can't tell what it is. You may not smell it if you are used to the smell. Does anybody else know what I'm talking about? It's equally possible that my nose is just messed up (I can hardly breathe or smell out of it due to multiple breaks and such).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 02:43 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Not beer...I love beer. It kinda stinks as I come in on I-94 from the West around the more industrial areas and I can't tell what it is. You may not smell it if you are used to the smell. Does anybody else know what I'm talking about? It's equally possible that my nose is just messed up (I can hardly breathe or smell out of it due to multiple breaks and such).
I'm hardly used to anything - I don't live there. Anyway, I don't know what you're talking about. Still, nice to compliment a city and then rip it.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:45 PM

Touchy, are we? Like I said, I may be the only one who noticed this and it may be VERY isolated.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:46 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,068,969 times
Quote:
Touchy, are we? Like I said, I may be the only one who noticed this and it may be VERY isolated.
No, I'm not touchy. I just don't like left-handed compliments. If that's not what it was, then it wouldn't have been said in the first place.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:58 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,165,159 times
Quote:
I'll make two lists: one that reflects my personal opinion and one that reflects what I think the rankings SHOULD be -- or more universally-accepted.

My List:
Minneapolis
Chicago
St. Louis
Detroit
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Columbus
Kansas City
Cincinnati
Indianapolis

"Universal" List:
Chicago
Minneapolis
Detroit
St. Louis
Columbus
Cincinnati
Indianapolis
Milwaukee
Kansas City
Cleveland
You would include Columbus, Cincy, KC and INDY but not STP?

Old 09-25-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
No, I'm not touchy. I just don't like left-handed compliments. If that's not what it was, then it wouldn't have been said in the first place.
Did you mean "backhanded compliments"? All I said was that Milwaukee is cool but I noticed a smell. That's not even a diss or attack, it's just an observation. Next time I won't compliment the city at all if you can't take a silver lining with a touch of gray. It'd be no different than saying I think Minneapolis is underrated and very cool, but the weather was so cold when I was there. Waaaah waaah waaah!

Old 09-25-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
You would include Columbus, Cincy, KC and INDY but not STP?
St. Paul and Minneapolis are one, to me, but I call the area Minneapolis, not "Twin Cities". I don't like that name.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:35 PM

914 posts, read 1,660,877 times
Quote:
I live in Milwaukee and I know exactly the smell you describe. It comes from the Menomonee Valley Industrial area. The smell is a combination of a slaughter house, Foundries, Tanneries and a few other industries. It was much worse 20 or 30 years ago and during the summer when it was hot it really smelled. Now the smell is almost gone, mainly due to most of the industrial jobs leaving. I would gladly take the smell back if we could have the jobs back. It was a small inconvenience for good paying middle class jobs they provided. These industries may not sound glamorous, but they beat the hell out today's job market consisting of the likes of Taco Bell, Wal Mart and temp services.

Last edited by Allan Trafton; 09-25-2010 at 04:43 PM..

Old 09-25-2010, 04:39 PM

^Thank you, that was very helpful and validated my point. It wasn't meant to be an attack on Milwaukee but it was something I noticed while driving through town that was very different than most towns I've been in or driven through.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:29 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,559,824 times
Plus there was a yeast factory right next to the freeway but it now has since relocated. As someone who grew up here I miss that yeast smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.