U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,774,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I could go on and on, but you're just another OH blowhard who obviously doesn't get out much.
Yea, I don't get out much I've lived the past five years along the Colorado Front Range (where I've rarely, if ever, heard anyone speak of MSP). Before that, I lived for a year in South Florida (where I never heard anyone speak of MSP). And before that I lived for six months in Europe (where I never heard anyone speak of MSP).

Yea, I wish I could get out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,563,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Yea, I don't get out much I've lived the past five years along the Colorado Front Range (where I've rarely, if ever, heard anyone speak of MSP). Before that, I lived for a year in South Florida (where I never heard anyone speak of MSP). And before that I lived for six months in Europe (where I never heard anyone speak of MSP).

Should I be surprised that one doesn't often hear about MSP? The vast majority of people on this planet don't sit around and talk about other cities or metropolitan areas. Honestly, how many people talk about their own city? I know when I'm out with my family or friends our conversation isn't about Charlotte, Denver, Atlanta, or any other city. People have better things to do.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:41 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,734,898 times
What, you mean to tell me that there are other cities in the Midwest besides Chicago and St Louis?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,319,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yeah, except again, I did NOT compare the two downtown areas. I stated pretty clearly that, imo, Minneapolis' downtown area is not that impressive considering the size of the MSA. I did not directly compare the two downtowns in any way, and in fact, I would agree that Columbus' downtown needs work. It is expansive, but not dense, and besides that, Columbus having half the metro size of Minneapolis should pretty much guarantee that they do not have the same level of downtown area.

And I would disagree that growth rates are similar in all those cities.

1990-2000
Minneapolis: +3.9%
Chicago: +4.0%
Indianapolis: +6.9%
Cleveland: -5.4%
Columbus: +11.8%
Cincinnati: -9.1%
Kansas City: +14.8%

2000-2009 (estimates 2001-2009)
Minneapolis: +0.7%
Chicago: -1.5%
Indianapolis: +3.2%
Cleveland: -10.8%
Columbus: +7.5%
Cincinnati: +0.5%
Kansas City: +8.4%

2000-2010 Census numbers that have come out so far.
Chicago: -7.4%
Indianapolis: +5.8%
Your method is flawed....you are using municipal city populations instead of metro populations. Cities that are landlocked like Minneapolis and Chicago can't grow nearly as fast, but their metros can. MSP grew about 16% from 1990-2000, and my guess is that it grew 12%-14% from 2000-2010. But what's the point of guessing -- we'll just wait for the Census results. Columbus, Indy, KC, etc. did not grow much faster than that metro wide.

I DO NOT understand why folks who live in cities with larger municipal populations ONLY refer to the municipal population when comparing cities, instead of the metro population. If you want to go that route, then Minneapolis city is HALF the population of Columbus, yet it has twice the downtown amenities.......so does that make it 4 times better? It doesn't work that way!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
No, it really doesn't.
Great counterpoint. I have references, you give statements.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:

There's a pretty strong Colorado to Minnesota connection, so you must not talk about that kind of thing much. It doesn't matter though, just because you're ignorant to other places' existance or vitality doesn't mean it does not exist or is not vital.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:43 AM

3,798 posts, read 8,171,920 times
Quote:

TI talks about MSP in a song, he's from ATL
Lil Wayne mentions MSP in a song, he's from New Orleans
Kanye mentions MSP in a song, he's from Chicago
Nelly mentions MSP in a song, he's from STL

Just sayin'

Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 AM

Actually, that surprises me!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 AM

13,223 posts, read 17,966,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post

Just sayin'
Don't forget Soundgarden. "I'm lookin' CaliFORRRnia! And feelin' MinneSOOOta, oh yeah!"

"Outshined" - Soundgarden

Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 AM

1,588 posts, read 3,563,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post

Just sayin'
No, she/he is basically full of it. I lived in Colorado too and I heard about Minneapolis a lot. I love music so I heard and read about Twin Cities bands all the time. The Minneapolis music scene was one thing I couldn't wait to experience before moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.