U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:59 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,200,896 times

Advertisements

So just because the Twin Cities might have more of a milling history does that make them any less Midwestern than Chicago or Indianapolis?

The Midwest seems to be more subdivided within it's own regions than the other parts of the country and I don't know why. Granted it is probably the largest geographical area but it's still midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 12:03 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,573,808 times
Eh... I really only like Chicago, and Minneapolis as far as the big cities go, and the only ones I would want to live in, not too fond of the others. There are smaller ones I like though such as Madison, Ann Arbor, Iowa City, etc...

Old 12-22-2008, 12:16 PM

8,341 posts, read 14,104,968 times
If you don't have at least one Big 10 school; you are not midwest.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
If you don't have at least one Big 10 school; you are not midwest.
Mmm....ok. So the Dakotas, Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas aren't in the midwest?

Old 12-22-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Mmm....ok. So the Dakotas, Nebraska, Missouri, and Kansas aren't in the midwest?
no

Perhaps an exception can be made for Missouri.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
no

Perhaps an exception can be made for Missouri.

Based on what? I really don't get what this arbitrary seperation of the western edge of the midwest from the eastern edge is all about.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Based on what? I really don't get what this arbitrary seperation of the western edge of the midwest from the eastern edge is all about.
Based on nothing. There are two levels of Midwest. Those that teeter on the relevant/irrelevant conversation - Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Missouri; and those that no one would notice if they dissapeared - Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:54 PM

Get over your self. Of course people would noticed if any whole state just disappeared. Unless you can give me some reason other than a trumped up ego of where you're from than it really is irrelevent. The Midwest is Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas.

Yes my states geography may be more of a plain but because it is not a great lake state doesn't mean it's not midwestern. Hell two thirds of Nebraska's population is within 45 miles of Iowa where we are all in the same geography as Iowa and no one is disputing their "midwesterness". It's silly.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Get over your self. Of course people would noticed if any whole state just disappeared. Unless you can give me some reason other than a trumped up ego of where you're from than it really is irrelevent. The Midwest is Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas.

Yes my states geography may be more of a plain but because it is not a great lake state doesn't mean it's not midwestern. Hell two thirds of Nebraska's population is within 45 miles of Iowa where we are all in the same geography as Iowa and no one is disputing their "midwesterness". It's silly.
Much of Kentucky's population is within 45 miles of Indiana and Ohio, does that make it Midwestern? Have you ever heard of a "border?"

Iowa has a Big 10 school, therefore you would be foolish to debate their Midwest credentials.

Corn + Big Ten School = Midwest

Corn + Big XII school = something else

Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,216,427 times
Quote:
Much of Kentucky's population is within 45 miles of Indiana and Ohio, does that make it Midwestern? Have you ever heard of a "border?"

Iowa has a Big 10 school, therefore you would be foolish to debate their Midwest credentials.

Corn + Big Ten School = Midwest

Corn + Big XII school = something else
So, let me understand this. Sometime, way back when, geography guru's declared regions based upon collegiate conferences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.