U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:15 PM

8,341 posts, read 14,106,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
So, let me understand this. Sometime, way back when, geography majors declared regions based upon collegiate conferences?
Yes, 1982 to be exact. There is a formula based on your flagship university plus type of vegetation produced in your state.

Sadly, no one cared enough to compute Nebraska, Kansas, and the Dakotas. They could be ruled midwestern, if anyone ever cares enough to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 01:27 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,216,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Yes, 1982 to be exact. There is a formula based on your flagship university plus type of vegetation produced in your state.

Sadly, no one cared enough to compute Nebraska, Kansas, and the Dakotas. They could be ruled midwestern, if anyone ever cares enough to find out.
Lol. Did little ol' insignificant Nebraska **** in your Wheaties this morning?

You just sit in Indy and pout about your stagnant economy and unusual insignificance (given the size of your city).

Maybe you could start picking on Rhode Island if it makes you feel any taller.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:28 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,970,544 times
What?
I never thought of collegiate conferences in that manner before!

Old 12-22-2008, 01:29 PM

I think it's funny something so STUPID turns into little flame wars like this (Im not saying Im not guilty of it, btw).

Old 12-22-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Nebraska's population is within 45 miles of Iowa where we are all in the same geography as Iowa and no one is disputing their "midwesterness". It's silly.
The climate of Nebraska is also much different than Iowa. Corn has to be irrigated in most of Nebraska while most of Iowa has never used irrigation.
A place seems more "Western" than Midwestern in rural areas where I see lots of irrigated fields.
I have seen no center pivot irrigation systems in Iowa in my travels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogallala_Aquifer

Old 12-22-2008, 01:38 PM

8,341 posts, read 14,106,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Lol. Did little ol' insignificant Nebraska **** in your Wheaties this morning?

You just sit in Indy and pout about your stagnant economy and unusual insignificance (given the size of your city).

Maybe you could start picking on Rhode Island if it makes you feel any taller.
Now, what is a Nebraska again?

Actually, I think this thread (at the point I joined it) is stupid; so I am poking sticks at anyone who will respond. Curse the slow workdays that come with the holiday season.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Now, what is a Nebraska again?

Actually, I think this thread (at the point I joined it) is stupid; so I am poking sticks at anyone who will respond. Curse the slow workdays that come with the holiday season.
Got me good. Thank god I wasn't born as a fish.

I hear ya on the slow work day. Something about it brings the Troll out in me.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:52 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,201,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The climate of Nebraska is also much different than Iowa. Corn has to be irrigated in most of Nebraska while most of Iowa has never used irrigation.
A place seems more "Western" than Midwestern in rural areas where I see lots of irrigated fields.
I have seen no center pivot irrigation systems in Iowa in my travels.
Ogallala Aquifer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
?????????????

From my desk in Downtown Omaha I can see Iowa all 13 blocks away from here. From my 9th floor condo I can see into Iowa for miles and the weather looks just as good or crappy as it does on this side of the Missouri river.

Nebraska is a big land area state and that terrain goes from river valley to plain, to desert, to rugged. Also the state is extremely lopsided in it's population. Most of it is in/around Omaha on the extreme east side of the state with Lincoln only 20 mins from the edge of Omaha. Most of the people in Nebraska don't identifiy with the rest of the states geography since most of them live in a hilly, green river valley on the border of Iowa.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
?????????????

From my desk in Downtown Omaha I can see Iowa all 13 blocks away from here. From my 9th floor condo I can see into Iowa for miles and the weather looks just as good or crappy as it does on this side of the Missouri river.

Nebraska is a big land area state and that terrain goes from river valley to plain, to desert, to rugged. Also the state is extremely lopsided in it's population. Most of it is in/around Omaha on the extreme east side of the state with Lincoln only 20 mins from the edge of Omaha. Most of the people in Nebraska don't identifiy with the rest of the states geography since most of them live in a hilly, green river valley on the border of Iowa.
I never disagreed with your thoughts on the population distribution in Nebraska. However, I still think the irrigation/non-irrgation line is a good demarcation zone between the Midwest and West. I think of the Central Plains region as the beginning of the American West.
In terms of climate differences most of Nebraska averages far less precipitation compared with any location in Iowa. Yes the crops might be similar, but NE uses a lot of irrigation in its rural central and western areas and Iowa uses none.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:04 PM

I heard many now consider Nebraska as part of the Pacific Northwest region due to it's proximity to the pacific ocean and it's mountainous forest areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.