Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Oh the delusional Columbus crowd.

As far as Minneapolis having a "tiny" downtown area, you do realize this information can be found online? That being said, I suggest you do a little research as to where downtown Minneapolis ranks in terms of office space and retail space. While your at it check out satellite images of downtown areas throughout the Midwest.

As far as ranking Midwest cities:
1. Chicago
2. Minneapolis
3. Detroit
4. St. Louis

Doesn't really matter after this.
Hilarious.

A Minny blowhard puffing out his chest by ranking his city second only to Chicago and saying any city other than his favorite four "doesn't really matter"??? That's funny, because of those four cities you mentioned, Minneapolis is - by far - the one I hear the least about, be it pro or con.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
1. Cincinnati
2. St Louis

I've never heard of the other towns mentioned in this thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:29 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
This doesn't surprise me at all.....it validates what I said about Ohioans not knowing anything about Minnesota.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
The real mother****ing rankings in the Midwest!!!

1. Faribault, MN
2. Quincy, IL
3. Minot, ND
4. Chillicothe, MO
5. Houghton Lake, MI
6. Hays, KS
7. Zanesville, OH
8. Wausau, WI
9. Valentine, NE
10. Richmond, IN
11. Mason City, IA
12. Aberdeen, SD

No place else matters.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:33 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The real mother****ing rankings in the Midwest!!!

1. Faribault, MN
2. Quincy, IL
3. Minot, ND
4. Chillicothe, MO
5. Houghton Lake, MI
6. Hays, KS
7. Zanesville, OH
8. Wausau, WI
9. Valentine, NE
10. Richmond, IN
11. Mason City, IA
12. Aberdeen, SD

No place else matters.
I agree with just about all your choices, EXCEPT FOR TWO: Mason City, IA should have been ranked no lower than #5, and Zanesville, OH should have been ranked in the top three. AND HOW COULD YOU HAVE OVERLOOKED FRANKLIN, OH?? (at least an honorable mention!)

Old 02-16-2011, 03:48 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Hilarious.

A Minny blowhard puffing out his chest by ranking his city second only to Chicago and saying any city other than his favorite four "doesn't really matter"??? That's funny, because of those four cities you mentioned, Minneapolis is - by far - the one I hear the least about, be it pro or con.
I'm glad you find it hilarious. Is not as though Minneapolis ranks literally behind Chicago on a national or global scale. It does, however, rank behind Chicago in the Midwest. The MPLS MSA ranks behind the Chicago MSA in GDP. It also ranks behind Chicago in the number Fortune 500 companies. I could go on and on, but you're just another OH blowhard who obviously doesn't get out much.

Also, I'm not surprised that you hear of Minneapolis less than the other three I had mentioned. Chicago is in a tier of its own and gets a lot of national attention. Detroit is the poster child for everything negative and as far as St. Louis is concerned, I doubt you hear more about St. Louis than you do Minneapolis or should I say the Twin Cities?

BTW, I'm hardly a "Minny blowhard" as I'm from Charlotte and have lived elsewhere as well (i.e. Denver). I have just as much pride in them as I do for Minneapolis.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
It just sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about. But I agree, Ohio cities are not worthless by any means and THAT was a ludicrous claim. You picked the wrong fight picking on Minneapolis' downtown, especially when comparing it to Columbus'. I've lived in both cities for 5 years or more and I know the downtowns very well. I feel like my opinion may be a little more valid for that reason, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I know (as a former Columbus resident) that most people there or in Ohio in general think very little of Minneapolis and/or Minnesota. They think we are small, podunk and non-significant -- a cousin of Canada. Most of my Ohio friends who came here to visit were literally shocked at how much bigger/busier it was compared to what they thought. That's not to say it's New York City (or even Seattle), but I'd ague against 5Lakes that it is indeed "better" than San Diego and Portland (maybe not Seattle).

To your point though, Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati are important Midwestern cities and I think the drop-off from #5 to #6, #7, or #8 is VERY SLIGHT, you could even call it a tie. The growth rates of Columbus, Kansas City, Indianapolis and Minneapolis are nearly identical, and I'd wait until the official Census results before claiming which is highest -- they are all in the ballpark of 10%-15% anyways (Chicago is close too).
Yeah, except again, I did NOT compare the two downtown areas. I stated pretty clearly that, imo, Minneapolis' downtown area is not that impressive considering the size of the MSA. I did not directly compare the two downtowns in any way, and in fact, I would agree that Columbus' downtown needs work. It is expansive, but not dense, and besides that, Columbus having half the metro size of Minneapolis should pretty much guarantee that they do not have the same level of downtown area.

And I would disagree that growth rates are similar in all those cities.

1990-2000
Minneapolis: +3.9%
Chicago: +4.0%
Indianapolis: +6.9%
Cleveland: -5.4%
Columbus: +11.8%
Cincinnati: -9.1%
Kansas City: +14.8%

2000-2009 (estimates 2001-2009)
Minneapolis: +0.7%
Chicago: -1.5%
Indianapolis: +3.2%
Cleveland: -10.8%
Columbus: +7.5%
Cincinnati: +0.5%
Kansas City: +8.4%

2000-2010 Census numbers that have come out so far.
Chicago: -7.4%
Indianapolis: +5.8%

Old 02-16-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
You were the one downplaying Minneapolis.
Stating that Columbus isn't as important as Minneapolis and other cities isn't bashing it.

What didn't you understand? You previously stated, "But for a metro of over 3 million Minneapolis has a very underwhelming downtown area." I clearly used metro areas in the 2 - 3 million range as examples, which there are several and downtown Minneapolis easily ranks in the top 5. I'd say it's also better than a few cities in larger metro areas. So, as "underwhelming" as it may be, it is still better than the majority of downtown areas throughout the U.S. This a fact.

I think the poster meant that 3 or 4 metros have truly separated themselves from the rest.
No, saying Columbus is not as important as Minneapolis is not bashing it, but that's not what was said. It was stated by more than one that the city is nothing more than a college town and that OSU is the only thing there. And another said that it did not matter at all. That is bashing, and it shows a willful ignorance.

And no, saying that it's the best or one of the best for its size is still your opinion, the same as mine saying the opposite. Rankings are subjective, after all.

If that's what the poster meant, he should've said that.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
This doesn't surprise me at all.....it validates what I said about Ohioans not knowing anything about Minnesota.
No, it really doesn't.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:52 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Also, I'm not surprised that you hear of Minneapolis less than the other three I had mentioned. Chicago is in a tier of its own and gets a lot of national attention. Detroit is the poster child for everything negative and as far as St. Louis is concerned, I doubt you hear more about St. Louis than you do Minneapolis or should I say the Twin Cities?
st. louis is definitely more known on the east coast than the twin cities. not sure about the western us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.