U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:06 PM

3,632 posts, read 14,682,395 times

Advertisements

Phx is very causal. However, the older population and snow birds tend to dress more formal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 06:07 PM

450 posts, read 1,718,662 times
Seattle is definitely a city that is casual, based on my experience and what I've heard. Someone mentioned Chicago... what's it like there? It seems to be a mix of the Midwest casual and the formality of the financial world, but I could be wrong. Phoenix, certainly, I've heard is very casual. When it's 110, you have to be casual!

I actually found Boston more casual than I expected, but perhaps I expected it to be very formal...??? Never been to NYC, so I can't give an opinion there.

Thanks for all the replies!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:53 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,871,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
. Someone mentioned Chicago... what's it like there? It seems to be a mix of the Midwest casual and the formality of the financial world, but I could be wrong.
That sounds about right. There is a huge mix here from the wingtip brigade to the khaki and polo casual crowd. What is lacking though is some of the creativity and style of some of the east-coast cities (e.g. new york, boston). It is more noticeable as I work in the arts and deal with a lot of designers, and as such have a bit more of a 'funky' style to my dress (I've been known to make some of my own clothing and wear a lot of odd chunky jewelry), and we always joke around about being told we 'dress funny' by those outside our field. I visit the east coast quite a bit (I have friends and family there) and it seems a bit less conservative than the midwest in dress styles, yet still a bit formal.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:27 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,967,039 times
As a New Yorker, I was amazed at how casual everyone was dressed in SoCal. So I guess NYC is NOT the answer to your question :P

Old 02-15-2007, 06:46 PM

450 posts, read 1,718,662 times
LOL Yeah, I kind of ruled out NYC on that alone. I'm a person who's casual, I'll put on khakis and a nice sweater to go to a restaurant, but any place pretentious enough to require a jacket is somewhere I can do without -- I would hate every minute I was there anyway!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:46 PM

259 posts, read 1,813,230 times
IT'S GOT TO BE HONOLULU OR ANY OF THE ISLANDS...DRESSING UP FOR A PARTY OR JOB INTERVEIW INVOLVES ONLY KHAKI'S AND AN ALOHA SHIRT..WHEN IT'S A REAL FANCY OCCASION THEY WILL PUT A LEI AROUND THEIR NECK....THE REST OF THE TIME IT'S SHORTS,TANK,SARONGS AND FLIP FLOPS (SLIPPAHS AS THEY ARE CALLED IN HAWAII)..I WILL DEFINITLY MISS THE WAY OF DRESS HERE YEAR ROUND!!

Old 02-15-2007, 08:04 PM

364 posts, read 397,059 times
Monday night I ate at one of the top rated restaurants in NYC- Jean Georges Vonrichten in the Trump International Hotel & Tower's (French). It has always been one of my fav's in the city and it seems as though the dress code is changing? It is fine dining and jackets are required. The staff is fairly dressy but not so many of the customers. I was one of the few women in a dress. Other women wore black pants. I say, screw that! I wear black pants all the time and I get sick of wearing them. I was surprised! When I pay $200 for a meal and four coarses take a couple of hours, I am wearing a dress!

Old 02-16-2007, 04:03 AM

673 posts, read 3,753,869 times
Denver is very casual once you leave 17th street where most of the companies are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or