U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:18 PM

26,075 posts, read 28,478,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
Hi all,

Just looking for some recommendations on cities/areas that have a.) warm-ish weather, and b.) generally educated, liberal people.

I lived in South Florida for several years, and while the weather was great, I had a hard time finding people who were interested in things other than the beach, partying, etc.

On the other hand, I lived in San Francisco for a little bit and LOVED it -- warm weather, and a population that seemed to read books, go to college, etc. I may move back, but I'd just like to know if there are any other warm/"intellectual" areas that I haven't thought of yet.

I'm not trying to sound snobby at all, but I'm just a nerd who hates cold weather (otherwise I'd happily live in my native Chicago)...any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I was going to say San Jose until I see you have lived in San Francisco. As you know, similar weather with warmer summers than SF.

SJ is suburban sprawly though, although that has been changing with many new high rises downtown and more housing downtown being built (although it will certainly never be SF)

It's intellectual but mostly in narrow techie, sci-fi/computer kind of way...which I sometimes find frustrating, but others seem to like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 08:19 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Here's a list of the ten most educated cities in the US and the percentage of their population with a bachelor's degree or higher. BTW, I am not sure if this is for the city itself or the Metro area. But, I guess it doesn't matter since they are all compared one way or the other.
  1. Seattle: 52.7%
  2. San Francisco: 50.1%
  3. Raleigh: 50.1%
  4. Washington, DC: 45.3%
  5. Austin: 44.1%
  6. Minneapolis: 43.2%
  7. Atlanta: 44.1%
  8. Boston: 40.9%
  9. San Diego: 40.4%
  10. Lexington-Fayette, KY: 39.5%
See the entire story and the list of the top 20 here: Most-Educated Cities in the United States - MSN Encarta

Old 06-26-2009, 09:19 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,207,663 times
If you're looking for a Boston/Chicago/NYC/DC kind of vibe without the freezing cold weather, I have to say that San Francisco is the best option IMO.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:06 PM

36 posts, read 110,634 times
Lexington, Ky................................

Old 06-26-2009, 01:10 PM

36 posts, read 110,634 times
Virginia Highlands in Atlanta...........visit it you will love it.....

Old 06-26-2009, 09:55 PM

61 posts, read 63,193 times
Havana

Old 06-26-2009, 10:18 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Here's a list of the ten most educated cities in the US and the percentage of their population with a bachelor's degree or higher. BTW, I am not sure if this is for the city itself or the Metro area. But, I guess it doesn't matter since they are all compared one way or the other.
  1. Seattle: 52.7%
  2. San Francisco: 50.1%
  3. Raleigh: 50.1%
  4. Washington, DC: 45.3%
  5. Austin: 44.1%
  6. Minneapolis: 43.2%
  7. Atlanta: 44.1%
  8. Boston: 40.9%
  9. San Diego: 40.4%
  10. Lexington-Fayette, KY: 39.5%
See the entire story and the list of the top 20 here: Most-Educated Cities in the United States - MSN Encarta
That's a good list. I lived in San Francisco, New York City, Minneapolis and Portland Oregon, and were all seemingly quite intellectual. A lot of bookstores in all four of those cities and coffeeshops where people can discuss whatever. Granted, all of them are cold climates.

I've heard a lot of Austin TX...and I drove down there, and it seemed sprawley and not that interesting at all. Yet somehow it does seem to be the ONLY one that is southern and could be a bit intellectual.

Anyways, I don't know the answer on this one, I'm somewhat in the same situation. I much prefer the northern more intellectual cities, but hate the cold weather as well. Having visited Austin, I had to write it off the list, just sprawley and something about it I didn't like.

I've also heard a lot about North Carolina, but it also seems to be reputation. It also seems very sprawley, and still very very churchy. Generally speaking, I do believe in God, but I DO NOT like the preachy, evengelical, bible-thumping version of 'no further discussion' on anything else that is so often taught in those parts of the country. Hence, I'd have to quickly write off North Carolina, as deep down, it still is that kind of place.

Anyways, I'd like to find the same thing as the OP, and I really think it is the northern colder areas that have that kind of environment that we seek. Bay Area California is probably the best weather we can get that is still rampantly intellectual as well. Additionally, New York City, while cold, isn't as bad as midwestern cities. But then again, you might as well be in Seattle/Portland which would be intellectual, etc. and slightly better climate overall.

It's a tough search you're on, and I'm basically on the same search.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:40 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
I would say stick with Chicago or San Francisco... I have been in your situation... if you are anything like me you will be disappointed with any of the warmer college towns (especially if you are above undergrad age level and do not like the things associated with it), I just did that for 6 months and it was a no go (in Florida just like you no less, I know exactly what you mean)... If you want warm climate with that intellectual vibe + big city vibe of northern cities, SF is your best bet. I live in the Bay now and have lived in Chicago so again... I know what you are getting at. I would recommend come here and realize it is more expensive, or ... deal with the weather

I share the same sentiments as TigerBeer (just had it with some pho btw) and CarolinaBredChicagoan ... if you have lived elsewhere, it is subjective to you, and you will most likely be dissapointed and long for cities like Seattle, SF, Boston, Chicago, NYC etc...

Old 06-26-2009, 10:42 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've also heard a lot about North Carolina, but it also seems to be reputation. It also seems very sprawley, and still very very churchy. Generally speaking, I do believe in God, but I DO NOT like the preachy, evengelical, bible-thumping version of 'no further discussion' on anything else that is so often taught in those parts of the country. Hence, I'd have to quickly write off North Carolina, as deep down, it still is that kind of place.
I don't think I'd write off places because of what you think they are. The best idea is to visit. North Carolina is like many other places in the country with a diversity of culture, etc. In NC in particular, you will find areas that match your perceptions but I will also find areas that don't match your assumptions at all.
Good luck with your search.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:38 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox2000 View Post
Havana
Well if we're going to include other countries I don't think Havana would be a good choice. It's warm and fairly educated, I think, but an intellectual environment usually requires a bit more freedom.

Hong Kong is somewhat oppressed too, but the Chinese are allowing them to maintain some freedoms and I think they're still freer than Cuba. They are tropical and apparently have three top-knotch universities.

World's Best Colleges: Top 400 - US News and World Report

I think Brisbane is also at or near the tropics and is listed as having a fine university, but this might not fit the US forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or