U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:36 PM

7,596 posts, read 9,450,003 times

Advertisements

Winnemucca, NV
Oconomowoc, WI
Bourbonnais, IL
Norway, ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 12:30 AM

830 posts, read 2,364,832 times
Dunmovin, CA

Speaking of Bumpass, "Bumpass Hell" is a location in Lassen National Park in CA, named for where Mr. Bumpass fell into hole of boiling sulphur water and burned his leg.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:29 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
I imagine some or all of these links have likely been done, but what the hey.

Funny city names - unusual town names - funny town names
University Press of Kentucky (http://www.kentuckypress.com/viewbook.cfm?Category_ID=1&Group=48&ID=124 - broken link)
Town Names
Texas Town Names, humorous and unusual place names
CNN - A Place Called Peculiar - March 2, 1998

Looking up through city-data some ones that strike me at this hour.

Eek, Alaska (I tried to write to them once, almost forgot about them until looking through small towns)

http://www.city-data.com/city/Eek-Alaska.html

Gay, Georgia (Presumably named for the older meaning of the word. There are no gay or lesbian households reported in tiny Gay)

http://www.city-data.com/city/Gay-Georgia.html

Golf, Florida

http://www.city-data.com/city/Golf-Florida.html

JAARS, North Carolina (Unusual because the name is all in caps)

http://www.city-data.com/city/JAARS-North-Carolina.html

Porcupine, South Dakota

http://www.city-data.com/city/Porcup...th-Dakota.html

Last edited by Thomas R.; 07-17-2009 at 01:41 AM..

Old 07-17-2009, 10:45 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,668,482 times
Intercourse, PA - an Amish town popular with tourists. My friend and his wife went there for their honeymoon, and nobody made jokes about it, because it was just too obvious and too wide open.

Intercourse, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cos Cob, CT
Cos Cob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manunka Chunk, NJ
Manunka Chunk, Warren County, New Jersey, USA - Maps, Photos, Weather, Local Links

Jerseyville, IL - Not too weird maybe, and it was indeed started by New Jerseyans a long time ago, but I still get an image in my mind of a town full of banished guidos (like me) walking around cornfields and general stores going, "Wat da hell is dis place? Where's da pizza place? Where's da hair salon? Where's da dance club? Where's da shore? Dis place is WEEEI'DDDD! It's like all flat and weird wit corns growin' all over! Where's da Roma tomatoes, da basil and oregano? Where can I buy fresh MOZZ around he'e??" OK, maybe I'm just amusing myself with that one...

Jerseyville, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-17-2009, 11:52 AM

1,990 posts, read 6,974,110 times
Here in the Borough of Queens ( NYC ), sections are treated as "towns" by the post office.

Some of my fave are:

Flushing, NY

Jamaica, NY

Fresh Pond, NY

Fresh Meadows, NY

Little Neck, NY

Neponsit, NY

Ravenswood, NY

Ramblersville, NY

Sunnyside, NY

Willetspoint, NY

Also, on Long Island, I gotta give a nod to Hicksville.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:23 PM

96 posts, read 211,920 times
I'm afraid I didnt have a chance to read all of this so if it has been posted, my apologies. But the strangest town name I personally have ever seen has to be "Y" City, Arkansas .

Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 PM

569 posts, read 540,749 times
Hell For Certain, Ky.
Bullskin, Ky.
Climax, Ky.
Balders Knob, Ky.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:17 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,668,482 times
Maharishi Vedic City, Iowa

Maharishi Vedic City, Iowa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Weird name for a city, but in this case the city itself is probably more weird than the name.

From the wiki entry, some of the weirder points (to me, anyway):

"This idea evolved into a working municipality centered on the principles and teachings of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, including his views on architectural design. These views, part of Maharishi Vedic Science, are said by the Maharishi to promote happiness and energy, and include having a gold-colored kalash on the roof of each building, and having all structures face east."
"They laid out development in 10 circles ringing about one square mile, and paved roads, installed utilities from sewage to internet, and constructed buildings including two hotels, houses, office buildings, and a Vedic observatory with ancient astronomical instruments to orient the town within the cosmos.[4] Eventually a double golden dome in the center of the layout will serve as a venue for yogic flying, similar to a facility already in use at the nearby university. Residents may believe that group practice of this technique "will create coherence for the whole country".
"Sanskrit has been named the city's "ideal language," although other languages are used...In November 2002, the city council passed an ordinance banning the sale of non-organic food."
"Maharishi Vedic City is administered by a five-person city council and a mayor. Few laws or ordinances exist, citing natural law as the governing principle of the city. The city council's first resolution announced that the constitution of the city is "the Constitution of the Universe—Total Natural Law—RK Veda".[7] The current mayor is Bob Wynne."

(I'd love to do 80 down the main drag and claim it was my right, given to me by the cosmos, lol)

It sounds to me like more of a cult compound than a city. The town's school teaches meditation and other new age classes.

Interesting town, but weird.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
Iowa is full of surprises! (I'd actually heard of this town, and consider mentioning it, but it was a surprise when I learned of it)

Old 07-10-2010, 04:18 AM

4 posts, read 9,523 times
bumbang in north west, victoria, Australia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or