U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 01:37 AM

28,202 posts, read 47,592,879 times

Advertisements

Hi, One I no very well is Ypsilanti Michigan. Do you know of any weird names of cities? Please post a link to the city.

http://www.ypsilanticourier.com/

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 01:45 AM

17,446 posts, read 23,938,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, One I no very well is Ypsilanti Michigan. Do you know of any weird names of cities? Please post a link to the city.

Thanks, John
French Lick, Indiana
Hell, Texas
Iran, Texas
***** Island, Newfoundland
Intercourse, Pennsylvania
Condom, France
Batman, Turkey
Hornytown, North Carolina
Satans Kingdom, Vermont
Lord Herefords Knob, Scotland
******'s Corner, Oregon

Old 02-14-2007, 06:02 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,957,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Thanks, John
Is that in the UP my husbands family is from there and their town names are pretty unique. I still have to look how to spell them when I send cards

Old 02-14-2007, 07:05 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,101,675 times
My daughter lives in Damiansville, IL. I always found that name odd. We used to live next to the town of Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ. Always enjoyed that name.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:59 AM

4,908 posts, read 12,519,839 times
Well Lancaster County pa. has a few very liberal town names including Intercourse, Bird-In-Hand, Lititz, and my personal fav Blue Ball.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 AM

325 posts, read 1,296,568 times
North Carolina has dozens. Tarheel, Stem, Lizard Lick, Big Lick, Tick Bite are just a few.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:10 AM

630 posts, read 2,217,594 times
Climax Minnesota, named after a chewing tobacco company.
Population: 264.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:13 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,784,343 times
Lynch, Kentucky!

http://www.lynchkentucky.org/

(please see demographics to understand why this is "weird")

Old 02-14-2007, 09:38 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,672,313 times
Default F'ing Austria lol

The village is believed to have been founded in the sixth century by a Bavarian noble called Focko. The Germanic ending "ing" means "family of". Its existence was first documented in 1070 and records show that 20 years later its lord was Adalpertus de Fucingin. By 1303, it was known as Fukching and in 1532 the official designation was Fugkhing. It was not until 1760 that the village took its modern name, which is pronounced in German with a guttural "oo" sound.

After World War II, British and American soldiers stationed near Salzburg noticed the name and, to the bemusement of villagers, began to visit the place and be photographed beside its signs while striking jocular poses.

The number of tourists who take a quick detour has been increasing ever since. Now there is even the occasional tour bus.

"Here we have tranquillity, clean air, lakes, acres of forests and some of the most breathtaking vistas one could imagine," says Augustina Lindlbauer, who runs a guesthouse in a medieval pile just outside the village.

"Yet still there is this obsession with F---ing. Just this morning I had to tell an English lady who stopped by that there were no F---ing postcards."

The one local who tried to cash in on the village's growing fame was threatened and shouted at in the street. Josef Winkler set up an internet site selling T-shirts featuring the village sign and carrying the message: "I like F---ing in Austria." They were selling well and there were even discussions with the men's magazine Maxim about a possible promotion.

"It was a bit of fun that didn't hurt anyone, but I found out that in this region you just can't do something like that," says a chastened Mr Winkler. "The whole thing became a real trial for me and I had to stop. People are very traditional here."

Newly elected mayor Franz Meindl refuses to discuss the issue, on the basis that any publicity would simply lead to more signs being stolen. "Leave me in peace with this F---ing," he says angrily, before slamming down the telephone.

His predecessor, Siegfried Hauppl, was equally dismissive when he was interrupted playing a game of Skat. "I am no longer the mayor so this F---ing problem is nothing to do with me," he growled, turning his back and studying his cards.

At the area council offices in adjoining Tarsdorf, a young planning official called Gabriele, who asked for her surname to be kept secret for fear of provoking reprisals, revealed that each sign cost at least EUR300 ($A490) to replace and this was reflected in local taxes.

"There was even some discussion about changing the name because it has become such a serious issue," she says.

"But everyone decided that F---ing had been here for so long that it would be a shame to consign it to the past.

"The older people don't like being laughed at by some of the younger ones from other villages, but we are proud of our beautiful F---ing."

- The Sunday Telegraph

Old 02-14-2007, 01:30 PM

592 posts, read 2,579,272 times
Clitherall MN, Nimrod MN, and Downer MN are three of my favorites!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or