Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:05 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Buyers find they get more house for their dollar here.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007702120386 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 04:22 AM

669 posts, read 3,193,619 times
Until it gets crowded and the same problems recur.

Sorry, this sounds like exactly what people said about Florida 5 years ago. It was cheap then. Look at it now. I have no doubt that NC, TN, etc will eventually be the same thing. Sorry to be cynical.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:02 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Until it gets crowded and the same problems recur.

Sorry, this sounds like exactly what people said about Florida 5 years ago. It was cheap then. Look at it now. I have no doubt that NC, TN, etc will eventually be the same thing. Sorry to be cynical.

That's seems like the direction we're headed in, another Florida in the making.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:26 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
I guess I am not going to look at Tennessee as a possible relocation spot. Once the Floridians bring the bubble mentality, your state will be ruined too. Is there any way to fight back, and exclude the undesirables while letting the good Floridians settle. Nobody seems interested in taking a county or even a state for the "good people".

Old 02-15-2007, 10:30 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Well im not sure if TN and NC will be as expensive as FL unless those two states become as desirable as FL. NJ is already there though.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:51 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Well im not sure if TN and NC will be as expensive as FL unless those two states become as desirable as FL. NJ is already there though.
Have you looked on the TN forum? There are a bunch of Floridians moving or have recently moved to TN.

I, too, am afraid the influx of people will diminish what everyone loves about the state.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:17 PM

TN will probably become another cookie-cutter place with cookie-cutter homes, high prices, etc. Florida style prices and whatnot will creep right in. Don't get too excited. Go to North Dakota or something. Not likely to be ruined anytime soon.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:04 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Texas still has low prices even though lots of people from FL, NJ and CA are moving in. North Dakota is cheap but extremely cold. I wont be able to have a job there as I cant drive with all the snow. I could be self employed and stay home for weeks at a time, but thankfully theres still cheap houses in warmer states.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:46 PM

I don't get it? I thought you hated heat? "Warmer states' do not have lower temps or something. It just means the summer is shorter. It's 90 in Philadelphia and 95 in Orlando in July. Not a big difference. The difference is Orlando's summer is 7+ months and Philly's is maybe 4 if you stretch it. It FEELS hotter in Orlando, true, but the summer is just longer -- the summer temps aren't much worse.

In general, the Eastern half of the US, if you forget about mountain areas, the summers are all roughly the same as far as heat and humidity. It's the length of the summer that differs: in Maine it's 3 months, in Florida 7 months. But the temps are more or less the same.

To the OP: This isn't really news. Most people know real estate is cheaper in Tenn. then in Florida. It's because Tenn. is not immediately "desirable" to most people. Right now they're moving there for low prices but they won't be low for that long. Plus, Tenn. is -- for most people -- more boring than Florida.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:12 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I guess I am not going to look at Tennessee as a possible relocation spot. Once the Floridians bring the bubble mentality, your state will be ruined too. Is there any way to fight back, and exclude the undesirables while letting the good Floridians settle. Nobody seems interested in taking a county or even a state for the "good people".

There's been nice people moved here from different parts of the country, they like TN the way it is...which is their reason for moving here.But you always have the other kind as well, they like changing things around. I've talked with several people over the past few month, they have had no problems settling in here at all... I've talked with some that moved here bought a house and don't like it here. I suppose it all depends on the individuals likes and dislikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.