U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 PM

14,947 posts, read 31,339,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
for the most part i have found this to be true, or at least found these situations to be more likely. that being said, ive met southern mechanics with very little accent and southern doctors with real thick ones.
Well there's two styles of Southern accents, there's the more genteel one reminiscent of the "old south", and then there's the more "country" sounding type. Wealthy Southerners speak with the more genteel accent, while working class Southerners usually speak with the country (aka redneck) accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Well there's two styles of Southern accents, there's the more genteel one reminiscent of the "old south", and then there's the more "country" sounding type. Wealthy Southerners speak with the more genteel accent, while working class Southerners usually speak with the country (aka redneck) accent.
Maybe it's different where you're from, but I hardly ever hear the old South accent (the one where Rs at the end of words are dropped) even from very wealthy people (unless they're old) Generally the way it is around here is the wealthier people have a lighter, smoother, less-twangy Southern accent. The further down the social ladder you get, the more twangy & country the accent gets.

Here's what wealthier, educated people usually sound like around Memphis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itx7w6tar5s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVvgRQv5hqM

Young people of that demographic are almost accentless, but they still say Southern things like "yall"

Old 11-16-2010, 12:10 AM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 778,189 times
Simply put no one who is from America is really from America. Remember that? It's a country of immigrants an the accent was born in America. Whether people came from Germany, Ireland, England etc if their families move to the south 100 years ago they probably now have southern accents. An American with Asian parents born in the south shouldnt be looked at differently. All of your ancestors came from somewhere else and while the accent was born with few it was passed on to their kids and spread even more as immigrants assimilated.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:11 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,331,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperad0stl View Post
Simply put no one who is from America is really from America. Remember that?
Ever heard of Native American Indians? Yes we still do exist.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:20 AM

914 posts, read 1,581,666 times
I'm Laotion and part Chinese and I can fake a wonderful southern accent. I actually have a Boston accent. Is that weird?

Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

Wealthy Southerners don't usually have strong Southern accents. I think that's the case in any city though, the working class have the strongest accents, the wealthy have closer to a General American accent.
Could this be because the wealthy are more likely to have had a college education and much more like to have left the South to get the education? Thus they loose the accent in their travels? I lost a lot of my accent living in West and being taught to speak professionally for my job. Clients could often pick up twangs of Southerness, but just as many people would insist I was from England, Ireland or Australia. Really seem to perturb them when I said no I wasn't from another country and was in fact of Native American descent. lol I didn't think I had lost accent until going back home and people not being able to understand me and my very hillbilly maternal side of family thinking I talked to citified. Sorry I learned to pronunciate correctly...that was my job.

As for Asians and Southern accent maybe its caused by the people they surround themselves with. The Asians I've known who keep their accents years after immigration are the ones who are in business for themselves. The ones I know who have Southern accents have all worked in factories surrounded by more redneck type Southerners.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
I'm Laotion and part Chinese and I can fake a wonderful southern accent. I actually have a Boston accent. Is that weird?
I think that sounds cool...not weird. Would love to hear you talk. Where were you born?

Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,130,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
A strong Southern accent is usually associated with working class Southerners. That's why even in the South a strong Southern accent is looked down upon by some.

Wealthy Southerners don't usually have strong Southern accents. I think that's the case in any city though, the working class have the strongest accents, the wealthy have closer to a General American accent.
I think people are confusing dialect with accent. Your dialect may change as you become more educated, but the accent usually stays the same regardless unless you move to a different area. There's also the idea that most educated people who have noticeable speech patterns are more likely to tone them down depending on the setting.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:27 PM

Location: Shaw, St. Louis/West Ridge, Chicago/WuDaoKou, Beijing
292 posts, read 778,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Ever heard of Native American Indians? Yes we still do exist.
Hmm my dad is a Native Mexican he sort of looks like u guys...so do I for that matter. (Rudy Youngblood played a Mayan in Apocalypto...hey that's us :P)
No I didn't forget you sorry for my slip up.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
That's interesting. What kind of accent do Alaskans have? Never really thought of it. I understand what you mean about picking up accents. I apparently do that easily without thinking. I listen to mostly British, Canadian and now recently Korean rock music and pick up those accents. People seem to have a hard time understanding me because of it since I've lost most of my Southern accent since living out West then returning to TN.
alaskans kinda got a.........california accent i guess. They sound like how most ppl on TV talk

but look at sarah palin. she says 'mavericks' like 'myaa vericks' lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or