U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:34 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,204,831 times

Advertisements

i got indian cousin's with southern accents, jersey accents, british accents, french accents and indian accents...

its were you grow up. how is that hard to grasp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 10:34 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,711,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
I'm Asian (Taiwanese) who speaks English with a mostly Midwestern accent but a very slight Texan accent. My little brother, who was still in elementary school when my family moved to Texas, has a slightly more pronounced Southern accent.

I've noticed that most Asians in Texas speak with a Midwestern accent with a touch Texas/Southern vocabulary (e.g. the use of "ya'll") and inflection. I can't think of any Asian I've met who spoke in a broad Texas accent, though -- even if they were born and raised in TX.
Hit the nail on the head...

Old 10-14-2008, 10:36 PM

55,644 posts, read 74,585,953 times
i resemble that remark.
skin tone does not determine language or customs
invironment does.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:59 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,967,409 times
I'm Asian and can talk with a southern accent pretty well. I don't think I "have it" but apparently when I visited a friend in California once, all her friends would make fun of me for "talking Texas". Personally, I don't think I talk with a drawl but when I ask non-Texans about it, they say I do. *shrug*

Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 AM

985 posts, read 3,261,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i got indian cousin's with southern accents, jersey accents, british accents, french accents and indian accents...

its were you grow up. how is that hard to grasp?
Take a look at post #18.

In the race conscious America there are such things as AAVE or Ebonics, Chicano accent, etc.
I'm not saying that all Blacks speak Ebonics, nor that all Latinos have a Chicano accent. But it shows how accent is related to race in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
i usually dont notice a jersey accent because most ppl i know talk like it including my self and family.. but when an asian does it YOU NOTICE IT

Old 10-15-2008, 02:20 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Hi!

A friend of mine is (Asian) Indian and he speaks English with a pretty broad southern accent.
I like his accent a lot, but it seems to be quite unusual for an Asian to have it.
Do you know Asians who naturally (=not made up) speak English with a southern accent?

Cheers!

PS: I'm aware that there are many southern accents, but I think most of us have an idea of what is considered a southern accent, whether it's Texan or Georgian or Tennessean, etc.
Absolutely.

I used to frequent this take-out Chinese place near our apartment in Birmingham. The guy who answered the phone sounded as if he were straight off the boat. "Herro, ChopSueyInn....Whatchyawaaaannnn." You couldn't understand half of what the guy said like, "Beeeefrryriiiice." Meanwhile, in the back, the cooks were just hovering over the stove like something out of a movie set.

So, one day, I walk in to pick up my order. The normal cashier guy wasn't there. While I'm there, this Chinese guy comes out of the walk-in refrigerator with a fish. He starts to deliberately cut up the fish. Then, he notices me there, looks up, and says, "You know what this here is? This here is a Chinese anchovy." If you had been wearing a blindfold, he sounded as if could have been out bass fishing.

Also, I go to church with a Chinese family who have been in Birmingham for four generations running a famous local Chinese restaurant. Their daughter has a very pronounced twang to her voice. It's kind of a funny disconnect between what you expect and what you actually hear.

I have Indian friends who were born here, too. They have a drawl just like the rest.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:28 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,711,540 times
I know Asians with hard core accents.
I can't tell if it's urban or southern... whatever the case, they don't speak clear flat English...
I don't either, I use 'ya'll' often..but my father coming from a Midwestern state, I speak Midwestern English mixed with southern English...
I've never had trouble understanding what other people were trying to say, even if they're from different parts of the nation.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:42 PM

835 posts, read 2,083,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Absolutely.

I used to frequent this take-out Chinese place near our apartment in Birmingham. The guy who answered the phone sounded as if he were straight off the boat. "Herro, ChopSueyInn....Whatchyawaaaannnn." You couldn't understand half of what the guy said like, "Beeeefrryriiiice." Meanwhile, in the back, the cooks were just hovering over the stove like something out of a movie set.

So, one day, I walk in to pick up my order. The normal cashier guy wasn't there. While I'm there, this Chinese guy comes out of the walk-in refrigerator with a fish. He starts to deliberately cut up the fish. Then, he notices me there, looks up, and says, "You know what this here is? This here is a Chinese anchovy." If you had been wearing a blindfold, he sounded as if could have been out bass fishing.

Also, I go to church with a Chinese family who have been in Birmingham for four generations running a famous local Chinese restaurant. Their daughter has a very pronounced twang to her voice. It's kind of a funny disconnect between what you expect and what you actually hear.

I have Indian friends who were born here, too. They have a drawl just like the rest.
I was actually at a Chinese restaurant earlier and the lady said "y'all" quite a bit.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:48 AM

985 posts, read 3,261,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Absolutely.

Thanks cpg. I guess it's not that unusual after all. But another thread reminded me of why many of us need some getting used to to Asians speaking with a southern accent, or the way you put it: "a funny disconnect between what you expect and what you actually hear".
Some people actually think it's unusual for a non-white to fly the confederate flag.
In fact, I personally wouldn't expect a black person speaking with a "white" southern accent, y'all know what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I think they might have a little Alabaman sound to them but the accents are similar in the fact that they are both Southern anyways.

I actually heard a story of a little Asian girl in South Carolina picking up the accent. Most people who have the accent are white. I have a feeling it'll be a shock to some people when she open's her mouth to talk when she gets older!

Old 10-31-2008, 07:28 PM

47,982 posts, read 45,443,916 times
I am friends with a Vietnamese-American who was born in CA but raised in Georgia, so he has a slight southern accent. Ironically, I was born in the South, spent only 5 years outside of the South(Texas and Washington state. I don't consider Texas part of the South) and I don't have an accent according to what people tell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or