Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:07 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
That's an interesting observation. I'm not very familiar with southern culture but does a strong Southern accent connote a sense of a certain class?
A strong Southern accent is usually associated with working class Southerners. That's why even in the South a strong Southern accent is looked down upon by some.

Wealthy Southerners don't usually have strong Southern accents. I think that's the case in any city though, the working class have the strongest accents, the wealthy have closer to a General American accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 07:03 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raivere View Post
I have heard Asians speak Portuguese because they were from Columbia, Brazil and thought that was strange...but not unexpected. So anything is possible.
They could have been from Macau too: Macau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-11-2010, 07:06 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Black Northerners have a Southern accent, lol, jk
Actually, some still do. My mom is like this.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:09 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, some still do. My mom is like this.
I bet she is a transplanted Southerner or her parents moved from the South to the North and she grew up hearing Southern in the home.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:23 AM

I know 3 Korean immigrants that moved to Tennessee. They all speak English that has both an Korean and Southern accent. They also speak with the Southern rhythm and saying Tennessee things like y'all, y'uns, git me some..., etc. Like someone else mentioned its like layered with two accents, plus Southern slang plus Konglish. The Korean lady I knew married a GI and came over in the early 70's. Instead of saying "I'm going to wash the dishes" she would say "I do the dish" which is most definite Konglish but she would say it with Southern accent. My understanding is they picked up the Tennessee accent from coming to America not speaking any English. Then upon learning English from the "locals" they couldn't help picking up the TN accent without even knowing they did. At that time Asian immigrants generally could only learn English from just observing/picking up from others and from listening to the local tv stations (before cable) thus they pick up the accent. Whereas these days immigrants could learn from software, CD's and from watching tv broadcasts from across the globe so they may be more apt to pick up the midwestern accent or non-accent of that newscasters have.

Their American-born children speak perfect English with a TN accent.

That said I have talked to a Korean woman in North Carolina and she said she learned English from watching tv. She has no Southern accent as far as I can pick up. I'm not really familiar with the locals in eastern part of North Carolina because I haven't spent a lot of time there, so I don't know if they don't have the deep Southern accent like Western NC has or if its because that area has many transplants because of the army bases close by. I can't figure her out why she doesn't speak Southern yet my other 3 TN friends do.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,597 times
i was born in korea but i moved 2 north carolina and was raised here 4 like 10 years. i aint even notice i had a southern accent since everybody here talked like that
but when i went up 2 alaska for a vacation they kinda picked on me 4 my accent

but i like my country accent. it make me unique

o and btw i listen 2 A LOT of new york music so i picked up some north accent and say some words funny. like i say 'art' like 'aught'

Last edited by goldc; 11-06-2010 at 08:25 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldc View Post
i was born in korea but i moved 2 north carolina and was raised here 4 like 10 years. i aint even notice i had a southern accent since everybody here talked like that
but when i went up 2 alaska for a vacation they kinda picked on me 4 my accent

but i like my country accent. it make me unique

o and btw i listen 2 A LOT of new york music so i picked up some north accent and say some words funny. like i say 'art' like 'aught'

That's interesting. What kind of accent do Alaskans have? Never really thought of it. I understand what you mean about picking up accents. I apparently do that easily without thinking. I listen to mostly British, Canadian and now recently Korean rock music and pick up those accents. People seem to have a hard time understanding me because of it since I've lost most of my Southern accent since living out West then returning to TN.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:37 AM

126 posts, read 322,163 times
I haven't read most of the posts yet, but I am about to. All I have to say is I really hope this conversation doesn't turn into "Asians look smart because they are Asian" and "the Southern accent makes someone sound stupid because that is what Southerners are".

Please , let's stay away from dumb stereotypes that shouldn't even exist. Most white people who grow up in the rural South are actually pretty smart. They could take a car apart and put it right back together. It also takes a high IQ to go deer hunting etc.....

I find it funny that Southern rednecks are the only people we are allowed to refer to as stupid. I guess that is because they are white, and only for that reason. Meanwhile, statistically speaking and after looking at school test scores, most minorities should realistically be labeled as "dumb" before Southern whites get labeled as that. Most minorities, with the exception of Asians that is (certain Asians, but not all of them).

Old 11-08-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndiver View Post
I haven't read most of the posts yet, but I am about to. All I have to say is I really hope this conversation doesn't turn into "Asians look smart because they are Asian" and "the Southern accent makes someone sound stupid because that is what Southerners are".

Please , let's stay away from dumb stereotypes that shouldn't even exist. Most white people who grow up in the rural South are actually pretty smart. They could take a car apart and put it right back together. It also takes a high IQ to go deer hunting etc.....

I find it funny that Southern rednecks are the only people we are allowed to refer to as stupid. I guess that is because they are white, and only for that reason. Meanwhile, statistically speaking and after looking at school test scores, most minorities should realistically be labeled as "dumb" before Southern whites get labeled as that. Most minorities, with the exception of Asians that is (certain Asians, but not all of them).
Maybe you SHOULD have read the whole thread before you posted a response. Everything you have mentioned has not been said here. Nobody has mentioned the word dumb or stereotyped anyone. This is an old thread that was just resurrected a couple days ago. However everyone just posted about knowing Asians or being an Asian who ended up with a Southern Accent. Nobody said Asians are smart or dumb, or said anything about whites or Rednecks being dumb. Calm down!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 AM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
A strong Southern accent is usually associated with working class Southerners. That's why even in the South a strong Southern accent is looked down upon by some.

Wealthy Southerners don't usually have strong Southern accents. I think that's the case in any city though, the working class have the strongest accents, the wealthy have closer to a General American accent.
for the most part i have found this to be true, or at least found these situations to be more likely. that being said, ive met southern mechanics with very little accent and southern doctors with real thick ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.