U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 PM

985 posts, read 3,261,375 times

Advertisements

Hi!

A friend of mine is (Asian) Indian and he speaks English with a pretty broad southern accent.
I like his accent a lot, but it seems to be quite unusual for an Asian to have it.
Do you know Asians who naturally (=not made up) speak English with a southern accent?

Cheers!

PS: I'm aware that there are many southern accents, but I think most of us have an idea of what is considered a southern accent, whether it's Texan or Georgian or Tennessean, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 12:51 PM

288 posts, read 808,364 times
I'm Asian (Taiwanese) who speaks English with a mostly Midwestern accent but a very slight Texan accent. My little brother, who was still in elementary school when my family moved to Texas, has a slightly more pronounced Southern accent.

I've noticed that most Asians in Texas speak with a Midwestern accent with a touch Texas/Southern vocabulary (e.g. the use of "ya'll") and inflection. I can't think of any Asian I've met who spoke in a broad Texas accent, though -- even if they were born and raised in TX.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:54 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,071,842 times
I remember seeing an Asian Comedian with a "Texas Accent" and its..
The subject matter of much of his material.
I knew some hispanic folks born and raised in Texas with that accent.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:55 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,618,173 times
Oh wow.

Yeah I know a guy who appearance-wise you could drop in the middle of some Chinese village and you would lose him, but he has this insanely powerful southern accent that leads me to believe he probably grew up in Texas somewhere.

He's a smart dude..and I have such a hard time keeping a straight face when I'm in the vicinity and he is talking. I feel so bad, but the whole situation is hilarious. I'm going to hell.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
I've noticed that most Asians in Texas speak with a Midwestern accent with a touch Texas/Southern vocabulary (e.g. the use of "ya'll") and inflection. I can't think of any Asian I've met who spoke in a broad Texas accent, though -- even if they were born and raised in TX.
Thanks neutrino!
How come most Asians in Texas speak with a Midwestern accent?
What do you mean with Midwestern accent, btw.? Is it like the way Wisconsinites speak?

Old 10-13-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I remember seeing an Asian Comedian with a "Texas Accent" and its..
The subject matter of much of his material.
I knew some hispanic folks born and raised in Texas with that accent.
In that case it's probably not his natural accent then. By that I mean the accent one has when speaking English in normal day to day situations.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:02 PM

32,320 posts, read 55,123,408 times
Im Polynesian and always laugh when I hear my cousins from Texas speak in their southern accent.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:04 PM

288 posts, read 808,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Thanks neutrino!
How come most Asians in Texas speak with a Midwestern accent?
What do you mean with Midwestern accent, btw.? Is it like the way Wisconsinites speak?
The Midwestern accent I'm thinking of is more like that of newscasters. I think I've read somewhere that it's prevalent in the lower midwest. The upper midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc) has a slightly different accent. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

My theory on why Asians speak this way is that it's the way English is taught in schools. The pronunciation seems to be rather standardized.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:04 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,134,955 times
hah my wife has an asian friend who talks like a true north jersey girl.. shes from Jersey City and she talks with a jersey accent..
i usually dont notice a jersey accent because most ppl i know talk like it including my self and family.. but when an asian does it YOU NOTICE IT

Old 10-13-2008, 01:37 PM

203 posts, read 619,854 times
What are asians supposed to sound like? Why is it surprising?

I have an asian friend who was born and raised in North Carolina and he sounds like he was born and raised in North Carolina. I have another friend who was born and raised in Oklahoma and has that accent. Your accent is a product of where you live and how you hear things pronounced. I guess all Mexican-American born and raised here have an mexican accent instead of where they live. We all know that is not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or