U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:53 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,441,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I have found this to be true also...Now I have never eaten pig ear sandwiches, nor have I known anyone else to eat them but I did go to school with SEVERAL native white Georgians (Douglasville, Savannah, La Grange, Lithonia, Valdosta, Atlanta) who to my surprise indulged in chitlins, collard greens, pigs feet and everything else stereotypically associated with rural southern blacks; and they were not reluctant to tell each other about their food delights. But I know for sure now that there are rural Southern whites who eat such foods.
Douglasville: Suburban Atlanta on the west side of town. Not rural.
Savannah: Definitely not rural.
LaGrange: Satellite city, granted the county is more rural.
Lithonia: The city is almost 0% white, 99% black. Eastern suburb of Atlanta. Definitely not rural.
Valdosta: Small city and metro area. Not rural.
Atlanta: Center of Metro of 5.4 million. Rural?

Whites do eat collard greens, but I have never heard nor seen whites eat chitlins or pigs feet. I could perhaps see a few eating chitlins, but never pigs feet. Maybe some older timers do. However, I've yet to see or hear of anyone eating them. I have seen pigs feet in a supermarket, but only in those located in overwhelming black areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 08:58 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,809,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Now I know you are full of it. For one, we are Louisvillians. Second, the only place you can compare to Ohio is very Northern Kentucky. Third, how the heck do you know what generation they are? Do you make it a practice to ask?
don't be nasty. i wasn't sure of the demonym which is why i put a question mark. second, i do not consider kentucky the south, and that will not change. third, you don't have to ask what generation they are when it's a grandparent, parent, and child all living in the same house, and they're all from louisville.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I agree, pig's ear sandwhiches I am not familiar with.
well if you are in fact from kentucky, that's probably why.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I have found this to be true also...Now I have never eaten pig ear sandwiches, nor have I known anyone else to eat them but I did go to school with SEVERAL native white Georgians (Douglasville, Savannah, La Grange, Lithonia, Valdosta, Atlanta) who to my surprise indulged in chitlins, collard greens, pigs feet and everything else stereotypically associated with rural southern blacks; and they were not reluctant to tell each other about their food delights. But I know for sure now that there are rural Southern whites who eat such foods.
exactly. i don't know why people don't understand that these are not black foods. they're southern foods that date all the way back to slavery. now, the recipes may have been started by blacks, but overtime they became a southern thing.

for those of you from the urban or suburban south, i can understand why you wouldn't have tasted any of these things.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:06 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,231,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Lithonia: The city is almost 0% white, 99% black. Eastern suburb of Atlanta. Definitely not rural.

Whites do eat collard greens, but I have never heard nor seen whites eat chitlins or pigs feet. I could perhaps see a few eating chitlins, but never pigs feet. Maybe some older timers do. However, I've yet to see or hear of anyone eating them. I have seen pigs feet in a supermarket, but only in those located in overwhelming black areas.
Im not sure I ever said any of those places were rural..I honestly wouldnt be fit to make that assertion as I havent been to those parts of Georgia (except for Atlanta). But if these were URBAN whites of Georgia who ate those foods, I can only imagine what parts of animals rural Georgians (white or black) may eat.
I sincerely dont mean that in a derogatory way...but generally rural people tend to be the ones who eat more spare parts of animals so certainly these highly urban/suburban Georgians should be more refined, I would think.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:

i said pig ear sandwiches which are a bbq dish. i didn't say anything about pigs feet which is pretty much soul food (usually pickled).

and for the record, my mom learned how to clean chitlins from a white lady because my grandma doesn't know how.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:31 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,924,356 times
Quote:
Scraper, White southerners (not all) do eat the bad parts of animals too. This Black guy here expects a 'Thank You' for helping you become more cultured. Chitterling-Wikipedia. Euros and South Americans eat pig intestines and offal; I bet you even eat the stuff (sausage link case). Whites from PA even eat that...I can't really stomach that stuff. Nice map.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:33 PM

5,413 posts, read 7,712,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
well if you are in fact from kentucky, that's probably why.
My mom and dad are from eastern Oklahoma and they have spoken of eating pig ear sandwiches. Both of them grew up dirt-floor poor, so that is probably why a lot of folks don't hear about them these days....we don't have to eat every part of the pig to survive!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:58 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,997,774 times
It's pretty accurate.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:41 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,747,558 times
I think this pig ear thing is a red herring. To be blunt, it is not surprising that some Southerners are unfamiliar with it, it's something my grandmother would have called "white trash". And if you want her credentials, her dad was named "John Stonewall Jackson O....y", born 1863. I think the maps I posted a few pages back are a better guide to the South, as it includes ancestry, religion, and language. Perhaps we should make burgoo and squirrel brains the test of Southernness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.