Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:14 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Thanks for your reply. I am a 4th generation Texan of Deep South ancestry, was also raised Southern, and consider Southern history and studies an avocation. So there is nothing wrong at all with some minor disagreement. I say minor because far as that goes, we don't really sound like we are all that far apart. And of course, as you say and I agree, ones own feelings and experience are going to count for a lot in this realm, so I can see the point you are making as well.

My biggest disagreement on topics like this is that many folks tend to define "the South" as synonymous solely with the Southeast or, many cases, the Deep Old South (and some Deep South purists confine it to only 3 or 4 states! LOL). In fact, the South has never been a single monolithic entity, but one of diversity. Yet, still bonded by certain ties of heritage that make areas so different as west Texas and low-country South Carolina more historically and culturally akin to one another than to states of the Northeast, Midwest, or Far West.

But anyway, again, it is always interesting and informative to share different perspectives. And by the way, your answer about the Caddo Lake area was right on the mark!
This is why I'm stunned that some people here claim that Virginia isn't a Southern state. I guess they assume the entire commonwealth of Virginia consists of the DC suburbs. While Virginia isn't Deep South, it's most certainly Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 02:21 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
This is why I'm stunned that some people here claim that Virginia isn't a Southern state. I guess they assume the entire commonwealth of Virginia consists of the DC suburbs. While Virginia isn't Deep South, it's most certainly Southern.
Not to me it isn't. Of course it isn't the deep south but it's also not the south-south. I'm talking the "bottom of the pot of gumbo" south. VA doesn't even come close.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:24 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,031 times
Very good Map, but a few changes should be made. Including these:

The South:

West Virginia is not all southern, the upper panhandle is not southern, and the extreme eastern part of the eastern panhandle, along with any of PA, or Western Maryland. Southern Maryland looks good (and southern Delaware) on your map and so does the rest of WV. I beleive Missouri shouldn't be that much in the south, but some should. I don't think Oklahoma is all southern, maybe the southeastern section of the state. Eastern Texas should be the only part in the south. None of New Mexico should be in the south.

The Northeast:

Many will disagree, but i feel eastern Ohio (with Cleveland) is part of the North East. And also,some of the changes i said with the south

The West:

I feel all of Montana should be in the Midwest and western North Dakota should be in the west. And some changes ive mentioned already

Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
I don't think the south border actually reaches that far into Missouri.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:49 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I don't think the south border actually reaches that far into Missouri.
Exactly. It needs to be backed up aways.

And in reference to another post Ohio is NOT, I repeat NOT part of the South. Period.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:39 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
to someone who was born and raised here in the south, it's the eastern half of Texas, louisiana, mississippi, arkansas, tennessee, alabama, georgia, all of florida, south carolina, and north carolina. that's it.
I was born and raised in the south, and Virginia and Kentucky are clearly southern. By the way, if you've ever traveled, you'd realize that culturally the South extends to around Odessa, Texas, and some remnants even extend into southeastern New Mexico.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
I was born and raised in the south, and Virginia and Kentucky are clearly southern. By the way, if you've ever traveled, you'd realize that culturally the South extends to around Odessa, Texas, and some remnants even extend into southeastern New Mexico.
where in the south are you from? and i've lived all over texas so i think i know what areas are and aren't southern. odessa, kind of, but not really. kentucky, hardly. virginia, not a chance. in the end, it's all about opinion

Old 10-14-2008, 04:52 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
to someone who was born and raised here in the south, it's the eastern half of Texas, louisiana, mississippi, arkansas, tennessee, alabama, georgia, all of florida, south carolina, and north carolina. that's it.
You gotta add Virginia to this bruh. I actually was one that believed that VA is not southern growing up in Texas. But than I came to live out here for a while and it is absolutely the south. Now NOVA may be the place where is changes to a different area altogether. But Richmond, Hampton Roads, Roanoke, Southern VA and Southwestern VA are every bit as Southern as Mississippi, Alabama, or Louisiana.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:55 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
The South as people know it stops basically once you hit US 281 in Texas and you change to another type of area which is basically Southwestern. Austin is no where near as southern as Jackson or Birmingham. Same with San Antonio. And you know what, Same with Dallas-Fort Worth.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You gotta add Virginia to this bruh. I actually was one that believed that VA is not southern growing up in Texas. But than I came to live out here for a while and it is absolutely the south. Now NOVA may be the place where is changes to a different area altogether. But Richmond, Hampton Roads, Roanoke, Southern VA and Southwestern VA are every bit as Southern as Mississippi, Alabama, or Louisiana.
i completely understand why people would disagree with me, but i never have considered VA the south. some of my younger cousins from norfolk had grits and pig ear sandwiches for the first time when they came to visit us when we lived in fort gordon, GA. not trying to be stubborn, but i've had people try to tell me that d.c. was definitely southern, and it didn't convince me either way. at best, i'll consider Virginia to be in the Southern Mid-Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.