Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:09 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Louisville is on the Ohio River, and obviously it has midwestern influences. It's also a larger city, and any large city today has more of a transient population than the state as a whole.
i was not in touch with any of the "transients". i'm talking 3rd and 4th generation louisvilleites(?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 05:13 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
i was not in touch with any of the "transients". i'm talking 3rd and 4th generation louisvilleites(?).
Transients eventually influence the local population, just as they have in metro Atlanta. You have native Georgians speaking with only a mild accent, whereas in the rural areas, you'll find a more genuine southern accent.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:14 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
That is so true! I've had people from the East Coast tell me Texas is Southwest and for the most part it's not. Relative to Northeastern states it is the Southwest, but that's purely a geographic assesment and doesn't really take into account much else; However, Texas is almost dead South Central. It really is it's own thing and if anything next it would be Southern.
Yep. I keep telling people that some people in the southeast do not consider Texas the south and they don't believe me. I told somebody born and raised in Georgia that I was from the south and she asked me what part and I told her Texas. She quickly corrected me by saying, that's not really the South. While Texas is essentially the south, it is not as southern as Miss, Georgia, or Alabama. But it has NOTHING in common with New Mexico, Utah, or Colorado. Texas is the transition state. It's obvious. The manners, speech, and topography shows the more you go west of I-35.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:43 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Pig ear sandwiches? I'm a southerner, and I have never eaten, nor been offered a "pig ear sandwich". Such sounds like foods that are eaten in the black community. You know, things like chitlins, ham hocks, pigs feat, etc.
I agree, pig's ear sandwhiches I am not familiar with.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:48 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
well i've been to louisville, and it was about as southern as Ohio (which is saying more than you think lol)

i just think that when people think "southern" they really mean to think "country".
Now I know you are full of it. For one, we are Louisvillians. Second, the only place you can compare to Ohio is very Northern Kentucky. Third, how the heck do you know what generation they are? Do you make it a practice to ask?

Old 10-15-2008, 06:59 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
hmmm, well take it from a black person: it's not just a black thing. and if you're only in your 30s you are relatively young. plus, you may just have been from a community where such dishes were not exclusively popular. lol but white people do eat them, trust me.
I have found this to be true also...Now I have never eaten pig ear sandwiches, nor have I known anyone else to eat them but I did go to school with SEVERAL native white Georgians (Douglasville, Savannah, La Grange, Lithonia, Valdosta, Atlanta) who to my surprise indulged in chitlins, collard greens, pigs feet and everything else stereotypically associated with rural southern blacks; and they were not reluctant to tell each other about their food delights. But I know for sure now that there are rural Southern whites who eat such foods.

Last edited by solytaire; 10-15-2008 at 08:15 PM..

Old 10-15-2008, 07:45 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
I have a question for the OP: you made a general "Northeast" region. Is there a particular reason why you did away with New England, which has always been fairly distinctive?

Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I have a question for the OP: you made a general "Northeast" region. Is there a particular reason why you did away with New England, which has always been fairly distinctive?
I realize you asked this question to the OP, but I'll respond anyway.

For one, the U.S. Census Bureau defines four primary regions of the U.S. (although there are nine divisions): Northeast, Midwest, South, and West.

The second point I'd like to make is this: although the Northeast has some commonalities, we are a very distinct region. NYC is very different than Baltimore; DC is not especially like Boston and Pittsburgh and Buffalo are very different. The point is we could divide these areas up infinitely, but I think it is more important to emphasize the similarities and not the differences. After all, Houston is significantly different than Roanoke, VA, but most would agree both are Southern.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:40 PM

160 posts, read 517,847 times
I think this was a great map; however, I would have cut NE, KS, ND, SD off in the middle for the line between Western and Midwestern.

Great job though!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:47 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yep. I keep telling people that some people in the southeast do not consider Texas the south and they don't believe me. I told somebody born and raised in Georgia that I was from the south and she asked me what part and I told her Texas. She quickly corrected me by saying, that's not really the South. While Texas is essentially the south, it is not as southern as Miss, Georgia, or Alabama. But it has NOTHING in common with New Mexico, Utah, or Colorado. Texas is the transition state. It's obvious. The manners, speech, and topography shows the more you go west of I-35.
depends on which part of texas you're talking about. and my people from georgia know i'm from the south and wouldn't tell me otherwise. had i spoken to the woman you did, spade, i would have been right back at her that Texas was in fact the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.