Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:36 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Douglasville: Suburban Atlanta on the west side of town. Not rural.
Savannah: Definitely not rural.
LaGrange: Satellite city, granted the county is more rural.
Lithonia: The city is almost 0% white, 99% black. Eastern suburb of Atlanta. Definitely not rural.
Valdosta: Small city and metro area. Not rural.
Atlanta: Center of Metro of 5.4 million. Rural?

Whites do eat collard greens, but I have never heard nor seen whites eat chitlins or pigs feet. I could perhaps see a few eating chitlins, but never pigs feet. Maybe some older timers do. However, I've yet to see or hear of anyone eating them. I have seen pigs feet in a supermarket, but only in those located in overwhelming black areas.
I have seen pig's feet and chitlins in stores not in black areas here but I don't know many who eat them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 05:47 AM

My grandpa did eat pig's testicles YUCK after they would castrate but never spoke of pig ear sandwhiches

Old 10-16-2008, 07:26 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
This thread has slowly turned into an online episode of fear factor

Last edited by solytaire; 10-16-2008 at 07:43 AM..

Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
My grandpa did eat pig's testicles YUCK after they would castrate but never spoke of pig ear sandwhiches
That's just wrong. I never heard of pig ear sandwiches until I read this thread but I don't dispute that people may eat it. I didn't know some people in the Midwest eat animal brain sandwiches in some rural areas. I love the map because it's sort of accurate.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I think this pig ear thing is a red herring. To be blunt, it is not surprising that some Southerners are unfamiliar with it, it's something my grandmother would have called "white trash". And if you want her credentials, her dad was named "John Stonewall Jackson O....y", born 1863. I think the maps I posted a few pages back are a better guide to the South, as it includes ancestry, religion, and language. Perhaps we should make burgoo and squirrel brains the test of Southernness.
LOL, well said Bobilee. If the "true" test of southerness was eating wierd/gross things.........Oklahoma would win hands down! Thank God this is not the prime criteria for designated southerness or I would have a lot of explaining to do about my homestate.

What matters NOW is that we eat the best part of the pig.......the ribs....smoked and smothered in Head Country BBQ sauce. Oh man, I just made myself hungry again.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:43 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Well, I live in the northwest where ~ according to my tastes ~ food is about as bland (spice-wise) and unexciting as it can get. However, I'm not much of a vegetable person, a diet I find incredibly boring.

I can't wait to return to New Orleans next spring and indulge in their 'gross' food. Tastiest cuisine in the world.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:04 PM

204 posts, read 751,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
This thread has slowly turned into an online episode of fear factor
I couldn't agree more.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:08 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
LOL, well said Bobilee. If the "true" test of southerness was eating wierd/gross things.........Oklahoma would win hands down! Thank God this is not the prime criteria for designated southerness or I would have a lot of explaining to do about my homestate.

What matters NOW is that we eat the best part of the pig.......the ribs....smoked and smothered in Head Country BBQ sauce. Oh man, I just made myself hungry again.
Dry rub is the only fit and proper dress for a pig over coals...

Old 10-16-2008, 06:59 PM

I love you people

Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
That's just wrong. I never heard of pig ear sandwiches until I read this thread but I don't dispute that people may eat it. I didn't know some people in the Midwest eat animal brain sandwiches in some rural areas. I love the map because it's sort of accurate.
I wouldn't eat brain anything. I have also heard of tongue sandwiches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.