U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:06 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,687,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Any city in Texas. The commerical development along the access roads can be a bit too much.
Tell me about it. However, I think Dallas has some of the best planning in the country. It has a very clean and organized look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 04:51 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,123,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Tell me about it. However, I think Dallas has some of the best planning in the country. It has a very clean and organized look.

I think you need to get out of Texas for a couple of months.

Dallas has some of the worst planning in this country. It's just like the rest of the Sunbelt, including Phoenix. Wide streets, parking lots everywhere, narrow sidewalks, and a hodge-podge of buildings with no real rhyme or reason for being where they area.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 AM

50 posts, read 175,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Dallas has some of the worst planning in this country. It's just like the rest of the Sunbelt, including Phoenix. Wide streets, parking lots everywhere, narrow sidewalks, and a hodge-podge of buildings with no real rhyme or reason for being where they area.
Agreed - Texas and the SW US is the worst when it comes to planning. Just uncontrolled, generic sprawl in every direction. Its too bad, because the climate would make it somewhat appealing, but the built environment is such a turn-off.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 AM

966 posts, read 1,609,139 times
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Phoenix
Parts of Northern VA
Chicago Suburbs
Inland Empire, CA
Tampa

Thread.Over.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,676,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Little boxes on the hillside
And they're all made of ticky-tacky
And they're all made of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same

Pete Seeger sang those words about 45 years ago. The debate is hardly new!
haha! This comment (and this thread) reminds me of Weeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W6dO...eature=related

The first "ticky-tacky" suburb was actually Levittown, New York, a suburb of NYC. Thanks New York! Now the rest of use deal with that crap!

Someone mentioned that Dallas (and Houston) are the worst planned cities in the country which I disagree with. It's not that Dallas and Houston are very poorly designed cities, it's that the city planners put a huge effuses on business, economics/cost efficiency, and civil engineering but very little on aesthetics and overall attractiveness. Things are getting better, but for now, that's just the way it is. In Texas, land is cheap (relatively speaking) and Houston and Dallas are flat so it's much more economical to build suburban neighborhoods than skyscrapers. Unfortunately, we have too many developers who are more concerned about money and profit than creating unique and attractive communities. But as for city planning, neither Houston or Dallas would have reached the size or have been able to absorb the huge population growth if they where poorly planned cities.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post

I think you need to get out of Texas for a couple of months.

Let me be more specific. For the Sunbelt; Dallas as some of the best planning. I forget sprawl and low-density is consider a sin on city data.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYDC View Post
Agreed - Texas and the SW US is the worst when it comes to planning. Just uncontrolled, generic sprawl in every direction. Its too bad, because the climate would make it somewhat appealing, but the built environment is such a turn-off.

Well I mean we have unlimited amount of land; No need to build everything concentrated in one area. Cites like NYC and SF wouldn't be what they are now if they built in Texas.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,222,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I love to travel cross country by car but recently I have been saddened how many cities and towns have been spoiled by over development that is not architecturally or environmentally pleasing. There are some really ugly developments out there. I remember when the area was a beautiful meadow or forest, but it was built with no concern about appearances.

There can be development that is both economically healthy but still environmentally sound and attractive but some communities do not have much of this.

What city or metro area has the most development that does not have any redeeming qualities architecturally or visually?

Myrtle Beach, SC

Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 AM

50 posts, read 175,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well I mean we have unlimited amount of land; No need to build everything concentrated in one area. Cites like NYC and SF wouldn't be what they are now if they built in Texas.
No resource is "unlimited", including land. And when you start taking into account the impact on the environment and economy of uncontrolled sprawl (vehicle emissions, erosion, loss of farmland, stress on infrastructure), that land resource becomes more valuable. Until recently, nobody was incorporating the true external costs of sprawl, and even now, only a few regions are starting to get the picture (Texas not being one of them).

Old 12-11-2009, 11:04 AM

2,970 posts, read 4,346,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
sorry, no pictures, but atlanta is the first city i think of. i've never heard that city being referred to as ugly, yet it sprawls like crazy.

i just think people blow this whole sprawl/density thing way out of proportion and it has become very annoying.
Growing up in the north and living in the south now I can say that dense sprawl is a lot cleaner/nicer looking than most dense northern neighborhoods. In the sunbelt a lot of attention is paid to landscaping and the like which creates a very nice environment. I dont know why so many northern forumers act like people up north do not drive anywhere and do not have any strip malls, this is America isnt it?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or