U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:10 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,442,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic. You probably think everything is sarcastic. Although i don't consider your pics attractive sprawl, thanks for the photos anyway (im not being sarcastic)
Sure thing - Can't please everyone...btw, I usually have a great time posting on here (save for the constant negativity about AZ and sprawl talk from people usually of NE US descent). In addition, thanks for the overgeneralization; no, I do not think everything is sarcastic, just as I imagine not everything to you is negative. Incidentally, I actually like the DC area (I visit about 5 times a year), and the one thing I do like about MD is the Bethesda Crab House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 01:15 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,753,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
<snip>

If I remember, your statement below which fueled my response hinted at sarcasm as well...

Listen, I don't mean to ruffle anybody's feathers, but it gets pretty tiresome in these forums with the Phoenix putdowns. I can appreciate living in city centers (as I have before - Chicago), and although cities in the west or sunbelt cities may not be as dense in the city centers, the sprawl found in these cities (in many cases) is much more dense than the sprawl in northern cities, and no, not all of it is unattractive (IMO). Each city has its own personality, and you're not going to find a Boston (i.e.) in Arizona, but given time, those "sprawled cities" are becoming more dense in the city centers.

Of course in Phoenix, a lot of the developments have been more earth-toned to match the environment - some think it's monochrome looking, but that's changing. I still believe that the area as a whole is not horrible to look at, nor tacky (I still can't stand the cookie-cutter subdivisions) and relatively clean-looking. Phoenix is not going to look like a northern city, nor an eastern city, and why should it look like them (save for more density which is occuring more)... It's located in the desert. Having said that, I'm all for more density, and saving the desert.
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, since the topic was commercial development, it confused me when you brought cleanliness into it. I thought you meant clean, as in "uniform, same color" - that sort of thing.

About the bolded...LOL!!! You think Phoenix has a corner on putdowns? My God man, I live in NJ - you even dissed it! LOL! Ask anyone from Chicago, Houston, etc if they think Phoenix is bashed more than those places. It's all in your perception.

Your nose got out of joint when I mention Phoenix, and you even admitted that some people could see how monochrome could look boring. I LIKE Arizona. Also, I never said the WHOLE metro was ugly, but you even have to admit that stretch of I-17 is pretty brown. And that's all I'm saying.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, since the topic was commercial development, it confused me when you brought cleanliness into it. I thought you meant clean, as in "uniform, same color" - that sort of thing.

About the bolded...LOL!!! You think Phoenix has a corner on putdowns? My God man, I live in NJ - you even dissed it! LOL! Ask anyone from Chicago, Houston, etc if they think Phoenix is bashed more than those places. It's all in your perception.

Your nose got out of joint when I mention Phoenix, and you even admitted that some people could see how monochrome could look boring. I LIKE Arizona. Also, I never said the WHOLE metro was ugly, but you even have to admit that stretch of I-17 is pretty brown. And that's all I'm saying.
I didn't mean to offend you about Jersey. I don't typically do that (in defense), but felt AZ was getting blasted as usual. I am from Chicago originally (my family still lives there), and I don't usually hear bad things about Jersey (Arizona I do), but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. What irritates the most is when people speak negatively about a place when they've never truly experienced it (i.e. drove through once...) and make false statements when the grass isn't always greener. Are far as it being my perception, I don't come on here very often to post, but guaranteed everytime I have, there's been at least one post on the first page with negativity about how Phoenix (or AZ) is ugly, sprawled, or "doesn't have a downtown", and I usually just let it roll, but occasionally it grates on my nerves.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:39 PM

939 posts, read 2,828,474 times
arizona... they got the first 3 letters right... ari... now just add the d

aridzona is more like it, or better yet, change the last a to an e, and we have Aridzone! i like it

Main Entry: ar·id Pronunciation: \ˈa-rəd, ˈer-əd\ Function: adjective Etymology: French or Latin; French aride, from Latin aridus, from arēre to be dry; akin to Sanskrit āsa ash, Old English asce Date: 1652 1: excessively dry ; specifically : having insufficient rainfall to support agriculture2: lacking in interest and life : jejune

Main Entry: 1zone Pronunciation: \ˈzōn\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin zona belt, zone, from Greek zōnē; akin to Lithuanian juosti to gird Date: 15th century 1 a: any of five great divisions of the earth's surface with respect to latitude and temperature — compare frigid zone , temperate zone , torrid zone b: a portion of the surface of a sphere included between two parallel planes2archaic : girdle , belt3 a: an encircling anatomical structure b (1): a subdivision of a biogeographic region that supports a similar fauna and flora throughout its extent (2): such a zone dominated by a particular life form c: a distinctive belt, layer, or series of layers of earth materials (as rock)4: a region or area set off as distinct from surrounding or adjoining parts5: one of the sections of an area or territory created for a particular purpose: as a: a zoned section of a city b (1): any of the eight concentric bands of territory centered on a given postal shipment point designated as a distance bracket for United States parcel post to which mail is charged at a single rate (2): a distance within which the same fare is charged by a common carrier c: an area on a field of play d: a stretch of roadway or a space in which certain traffic regulations are in force 6: zone defense7: a temporary state of heightened concentration experienced by a performing athlete that enables peak performance <players in the zone>

IN SUMMARY: ARIZONA (Aridzone) is an excessively dry area that has a lack of interest or life

Old 10-17-2008, 05:02 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,318,981 times
Quote:
Sure thing - Can't please everyone...btw, I usually have a great time posting on here (save for the constant negativity about AZ and sprawl talk from people usually of NE US descent). In addition, thanks for the overgeneralization; no, I do not think everything is sarcastic, just as I imagine not everything to you is negative. Incidentally, I actually like the DC area (I visit about 5 times a year), and the one thing I do like about MD is the Bethesda Crab House.
No, when I said I don't consider it attractive sprawl, i meant that isn't sprawl. Its the City of Phoenix with it's nightclubs and downtown etc. Only a few were actually sprawl. Phoenix has an attractive downtown area btw.

I didn't mean to 'overgeneralize' but i just felt my post was so opposite in intent than from what you thought i was trying to say that it would seem as though you would think a lot of things are sarcastic. oh well, the internet is very hard to tell if someone is being sarcastic or now.

BTW - there's tons of ugly sprawl here, i just wanted to see (with what i originally asked for (the pictures)) how they made their sprawl attractive and what what kind of development i would rather see in this area

Old 10-17-2008, 05:08 PM

909 posts, read 2,704,226 times
In my oppinion, Metro Louisville has some ugly areas across the river, like Jeffersonville, Carksville, and New Albany. Some of the development on the Kentucky side is descent, but not much better than on the other side of the river.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:21 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,802,677 times
I'm not sure what is so ugly about these cities that are being trashed in this thread. Every city has some undesirable areas but I think the beautiful areas far outweigh the rest. what city is 100% perfect? The only perfect cities i've seen are the instant cities that have sprung up outside of a few major cities. I prefer a city with a little character.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
arizona... they got the first 3 letters right... ari... now just add the d

aridzona is more like it, or better yet, change the last a to an e, and we have Aridzone! i like it

Main Entry: ar·id Pronunciation: \ˈa-rəd, ˈer-əd\ Function: adjective Etymology: French or Latin; French aride, from Latin aridus, from arēre to be dry; akin to Sanskrit āsa ash, Old English asce Date: 1652 1: excessively dry ; specifically : having insufficient rainfall to support agriculture2: lacking in interest and life : jejune

Main Entry: 1zone Pronunciation: \ˈzōn\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin zona belt, zone, from Greek zōnē; akin to Lithuanian juosti to gird Date: 15th century 1 a: any of five great divisions of the earth's surface with respect to latitude and temperature — compare frigid zone , temperate zone , torrid zone b: a portion of the surface of a sphere included between two parallel planes2archaic : girdle , belt3 a: an encircling anatomical structure b (1): a subdivision of a biogeographic region that supports a similar fauna and flora throughout its extent (2): such a zone dominated by a particular life form c: a distinctive belt, layer, or series of layers of earth materials (as rock)4: a region or area set off as distinct from surrounding or adjoining parts5: one of the sections of an area or territory created for a particular purpose: as a: a zoned section of a city b (1): any of the eight concentric bands of territory centered on a given postal shipment point designated as a distance bracket for United States parcel post to which mail is charged at a single rate (2): a distance within which the same fare is charged by a common carrier c: an area on a field of play d: a stretch of roadway or a space in which certain traffic regulations are in force 6: zone defense7: a temporary state of heightened concentration experienced by a performing athlete that enables peak performance <players in the zone>

IN SUMMARY: ARIZONA (Aridzone) is an excessively dry area that has a lack of interest or life
hehe...

ignorant

IN SUMMARY: IGNORED.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:16 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,772,781 times
Quote:
Your comment of "Can you show us some examples? Id like to see some attractive sprawl if you don't mind" did ring of sarcasm.

Everything looked fine until I scrolled down to the, what looks like tin boxes with those putred green walls......YUCK!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Everything looked fine until I scrolled down to the, what looks like tin boxes with those putred green walls......YUCK!!!
You win some, you lose some - at least it isn't brown...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or