Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:30 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,253,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Most of the Sunbelt cities. Funny how people keep moving there though. I guess people like that element of tackiness. IMO, in a way, it does eliminate an element of pretentiousness.
sprawl is not always tacky. a lot of it is very tastefully done. i'd rather live down here in the sprawled sunbelt than the dense north any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 05:32 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,716,619 times
Can you show us some examples? Id like to see some attractive sprawl if you don't mind

Old 10-15-2008, 05:34 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,586,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
sprawl is not always tacky. a lot of it is very tastefully done. i'd rather live down here in the sprawled sunbelt than the dense north any day.
a lot of these "sunbelt" cities are "dense sprawl" however. Jammed packed housing developments with zero lot lines, and plots no larger than 1/6 of an acre. Not much different than the "typical" dense north.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:38 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,586,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I can revisit several threads that were, in fact, very offensive about Phoenix in reference to how it looks or the fact that it is "sprawled", or ugly, or not a "tall" city. If you think ugly means commercial and residential development blending into the environment around it (mountains), then yes, perhaps it is boring, but ugly, no. I have visited many cities where neighborhoods and commercial developments are certainly not kept up and definitely ugly, but Phoenix would not be at the top of my list.
I don't find it pleasing to the eye and stand by my statement, especially since Phoenix not too long ago was a clean slate and could've been built out much more attractively. Sedona, on the other hand, is much better (maybe because everything's red, not brown ).

Old 10-15-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Can you show us some examples? Id like to see some attractive sprawl if you don't mind
sorry, no pictures, but atlanta is the first city i think of. i've never heard that city being referred to as ugly, yet it sprawls like crazy.

i just think people blow this whole sprawl/density thing way out of proportion and it has become very annoying.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:47 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,821,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
a lot of these "sunbelt" cities are "dense sprawl" however. Jammed packed housing developments with zero lot lines, and plots no larger than 1/6 of an acre. Not much different than the "typical" dense north.
Atlanta's "sprawl", for the most part (exception being parts of Gwinnett County), looks pretty good. Why? 1) Atlanta's hilly topography hides a lot of the negative features that may be associated with "sprawl". 2) Atlanta's thick foliage hides a lot of the negative features, and even makes some negative features look okay (much of it is hidden), and 3) lots of Atlanta's shopping centers, new roads, housing is fairly good quality, so it doesn't look bad.

Other cities where the "sprawl" doesn't look bad, or even looks good:

Phoenix, Orlando, Charlotte, Denver, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland, Raleigh-Durham, Washington D.C. area, San Diego, San Francisco, Birmingham

Cities where the "sprawl" is tolerable:

Nashville, Columbus, Dallas-Fort Worth, Tampa, Miami, Chicago

Places where the "sprawl", in my opinion, is truly tacky.

St. Louis, Houston

Last edited by Scraper Enthusiast; 10-15-2008 at 06:15 PM..

Old 10-15-2008, 05:48 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,821,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
sorry, no pictures, but atlanta is the first city i think of. i've never heard that city being referred to as ugly, yet it sprawls like crazy.

i just think people blow this whole sprawl/density thing way out of proportion and it has become very annoying.
Atlanta's sprawl is somewhat attractive. However, I do think that Gwinnett County has some tacky areas, as does the Conyers area along I-20.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Atlanta's "sprawl", for the most part (exception being parts of Gwinnett County) looks pretty good. Why? 1) Atlanta's hilly topography hides a lot of the negative features that may be associated with "sprawl". 2) Atlanta's thick foliage hides a lot of the negative features, and even makes some negative features look okay (much of it is hidden), and 3) lots of Atlanta's shopping centers, new roads, housing is fairly good quality, so it doesn't look bad.

Phoenix, Orlando, Charlotte, Denver, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland, Raleigh-Durham, Washington D.C. area, San Diego, San Francisco, Birmingham

St. Louis, Houston
My point, exactly. all the way.

If there is such a thing as cities being blessed with good looks, atlanta is just that.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:38 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,790,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Atlanta's "sprawl", for the most part (exception being parts of Gwinnett County), looks pretty good. Why? 1) Atlanta's hilly topography hides a lot of the negative features that may be associated with "sprawl". 2) Atlanta's thick foliage hides a lot of the negative features, and even makes some negative features look okay (much of it is hidden), and 3) lots of Atlanta's shopping centers, new roads, housing is fairly good quality, so it doesn't look bad.

St. Louis, Houston
How are these two cities tackier than the others you listed?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
How are these two cities tackier than the others you listed?
"No zoning", wide concrete roads, and the flat topography contributes to some of houston's tackiness.

versus atlanta whose sprawl is hidden by forests and tall hills, the roads are asphalt and there's zoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.