Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:45 PM

160 posts, read 517,871 times

Advertisements

Houston is....uh, a little on the ...uh, "bland" side you could say....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 08:54 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Atlanta's sprawl is somewhat attractive. However, I do think that Gwinnett County has some tacky areas, as does the Conyers area along I-20.
You're right on.

Atlanta's sprawl is very tolerable and even attractive in certain areas such as N Fulton, Cobb and Forsyth counties, especially along the 400 corridor. Much of west Gwinnett is a pit... IMO.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:55 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
"No zoning", wide concrete roads, and the flat topography contributes to some of houston's tackiness.

versus atlanta whose sprawl is hidden by forests and tall hills, the roads are asphalt and there's zoning.
I don't think the topography has anything to do with tackniess, though it does take away/hide some of the sting. In any case, I thought we were talking about commercial development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueatari View Post
Houston is....uh, a little on the ...uh, "bland" side you could say....
Hahah, now bland is not anywhere in a description of Houston, using a thousand adjectives. The lack of zoning makes it anything BUT bland---the suburbs maybe, but the city never. Appauling, of course. Tacky, maybe. Ugly, yes there's some, but I have yet to see bland here, especially after Mexican dinner.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:08 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times
Quote:
"No zoning", wide concrete roads, and the flat topography contributes to some of houston's tackiness.

versus atlanta whose sprawl is hidden by forests and tall hills, the roads are asphalt and there's zoning.
I think all U.S. cities are beautiful. When i think of tacky cities the only ones that come to mind are the overpopulated cities in India, China, and South America

Here is one of my favorite pics of Houston

Old 10-15-2008, 09:18 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I don't think the topography has anything to do with tackniess, though it does take away/hide some of the sting. In any case, I thought we were talking about commercial development.
not by itself, no the topography doesn't make houston tacky. but i've heard a lot of people say how they feel that the set up of houston would not look so bad if there were hills, and i think i agree.

the grid system, also. while it makes traveling through the city easier, it also makes it a bit more dull.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:44 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,748 times
Quote:
not by itself, no the topography doesn't make houston tacky. but i've heard a lot of people say how they feel that the set up of houston would not look so bad if there were hills, and i think i agree.

the grid system, also. while it makes traveling through the city easier, it also makes it a bit more dull.
Well that's exactly what I said.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:56 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,435,497 times
Quote:
sprawl is not always tacky. a lot of it is very tastefully done. i'd rather live down here in the sprawled sunbelt than the dense north any day.
Many North East residents live in sprawling suburbs as well so the northern cities can suffer from this also. Only 13% of the Boston metro area lives in very dense Boston, but the rest lives in relatively undense suburbs. While the city of Boston itself is very very dense, the outer areas of the region sprawl just as bad, if not worse than the "sunbelt." What the sunbelt lacks are the dense cores, but much of the population of the North East is just as much living in sprawl as the other areas of the USA.

Boston suburbs

Old 10-15-2008, 09:57 PM

100 posts, read 149,794 times
^^ Hideous!!!

Los Angeles is not Ugly, but Houston is, no matter what you say.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:02 AM

8,608 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Can you show us some examples? Id like to see some attractive sprawl if you don't mind
Sprawl happens even in all those cities that you dream of living in that are listed in your location section of your profile

Old 10-16-2008, 07:26 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
You're right on.

Atlanta's sprawl is very tolerable and even attractive in certain areas such as N Fulton, Cobb and Forsyth counties, especially along the 400 corridor. Much of west Gwinnett is a pit... IMO.
ITA...it's a shambles and a testament to poor planning in the face of explosive growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.