U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:29 PM

32,392 posts, read 55,232,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
New York County is Manhattan. There are still 4 other counties in New York City that weren't taken into account for this survey. If you took NYC as a whole and LA as a whole, NYC would have more million dollar real estate. Please use correct and fair information when posting threads that are known to spark arguments.
Correct and Fair information? What are you talking about? I never posted a ranking of cities, only counties. You clearly see Kings and Queens Counties in the initial post.

In a ranking of cities, NY would rank 1st, but I havent posted that yet. Get over yourself.

And the LA CSA does in fact have more million dollar homes than the NY CSA. Nothing to get upset over, you cant win em all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 12:32 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,726,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Correct and Fair information? What are you talking about? I never posted a ranking of cities, only counties. You clearly see Kings and Queens Counties in the initial post.

In a ranking of cities, NY would rank 1st, but I havent posted that yet. Get over yourself.

And the LA CSA does in fact have more million dollar homes than the NY CSA. Nothing to get upset over, you cant win em all.
Quote:
You also need to take into account that most New Yorkers rent... Including the rich. Many of our athletes rent apartments, celebrities, politicians, executives, stock brokers, etc.

New York is a renting city.
Who's upset? I'm simply stating facts. And yes, Kings and Queens Counties are up there. Combine them with Bronx and Richmond (Staten Island) Counties and then with New York County and there's your New York City million dollar housing.

CSA? I want to see Metro stats. And there are also many millionaire renters in the Tri-State area. White Plains, Jersey City, Hoboken, Tarrytown, Stamford, Greenwich, Danbury, Yonkers, Hartsdale, Peekskill, etc. They all have a great amount of rich renters. This backs up the fact that the NYC area has the greatest millionaire population.

Last edited by Futcha; 10-24-2008 at 12:41 PM..

Old 10-24-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Who's upset? I'm simply stating facts. And yes, Kings and Queens Counties are up there. Combine them with Bronx and Richmond (Staten Island) Counties and then with New York County and there's your New York City million dollar housing.

CSA? I want to see Metro stats. And there are also many millionaire renters in the Tri-State area. White Plains, Jersey City, Hoboken, Tarrytown, Stamford, Greenwich, Danbury, Yonkers, Hartsdale, Peekskill, etc. They all have a great amount of rich renters. This backs up the fact that the NYC area has the greatest millionaire population.
This is the New York CSA(Combined Statistical Area)

New York may have the most millionaires but it doesnt have the most million dollar homes.

In fact, The West almost has more Million-Dollar Homes than the other three regions combined.(988K vs 986K)
Northeast 440,053
Midwest 138,365
South 409,626
West 986,341

California by itself has 774,057 million dollar homes.

Its not inconceivable that the LA CSA has the more million dollar homes than the NY CSA.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:16 PM

5,656 posts, read 7,461,568 times
Quote:

New York may have the most millionaires but it doesnt have the most million dollar homes.

In fact, The West almost has more Million-Dollar Homes than the other three regions combined.(988K vs 986K)
Northeast 440,053
Midwest 138,365
South 409,626
West 986,341

Its not inconceivable that the LA CSA has the more million dollar homes than the NY CSA.
NY CSA...looks like sprawl to me.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
NY CSA...looks like sprawl to me.
Sprawl is irrelevent when determining these kinds of boundaries(although it is very sprawled out). Counties are combind into Metro Areas and Combined Statistical Areas when their percentage of commuters from one county into another pass a certain threshold. To say NY is a massive Job Center is a huge understatement, its the preemminent job center in the entire Western World. The NY CSA is the headquarters to a whopping 186 Fortune 500 Companies. To put that into perspective, Chicagoland and The Bay Area are 2nd and 3rd and they each have about 30 F500 companies.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:29 PM

5,656 posts, read 7,461,568 times
Quote:
Sprawl is irrelevent. Counties are combind into Metro Areas and Combined Statistical Areas when their percentage of commuters from one county into another pass a certain threshold. To say NY is a massive Job Center is a huge understatement, its the preemminent job center in the entire Western World. The NY CSA is the headquarters to a whopping 186 Fortune 500 Companies. To put that into perspective, Chicagoland and The Bay Area are 2nd and 3rd and they each have about 30.
Yes, I know what a CSA is. I was just being facetious. We never hear enough about NYC tooting its own horn and coming across as superior to any and all.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Yes, I know what a CSA is. I was just being facetious. We never hear enough about NYC tooting its own horn and coming across as superior to any and all.
LOL so true.

Poor New Yorkers never get any attention.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:01 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,582,491 times
Quote:
You also need to take into account that most New Yorkers rent... Including the rich. Many of our athletes rent apartments, celebrities, politicians, executives, stock brokers, etc.

New York is a renting city.
What the **** does this have to do with value?

Old 10-24-2008, 07:05 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,726,252 times
Quote:

Northeast 440,053
Midwest 138,365
South 409,626
West 986,341

No, it's not inconceivable but LA's being hit one of the hardest in the foreclosure crisis for obvious reasons as this thread portrays those reasons. Angelenos buy houses they can't afford to pay, which explains why they have more million dollar homes. But New York has more millionaires. So tell me why how many million dollar homes is something special? Tell me that.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
No, it's not inconceivable but LA's being hit one of the hardest in the foreclosure crisis for obvious reasons as this thread portrays those reasons. Angelenos buy houses they can't afford to pay, which explains why they have more million dollar homes. But New York has more millionaires. So tell me why how many million dollar homes is something special? Tell me that.
Because those of us who are interested in real estate care? Does that bother you?

Anyway,
Million Dollar Homes arent really being foreclosed. Foreclosures are happening in middle class and lower class areas far more so than in million dollar areas.

In fact the upper end market in California, including Los Angeles isnt doing that bad at all.

Could we see a trickle 'up' in the problems? Perhaps, but that has yet to really manifest itself in the upper end market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or