U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:53 PM

514 posts, read 667,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Great. Now everyone will come and our states won't be Southern any more.
Yep! When I lived in Big D in the late 60s, my dad, who also lived there, told me that air conditioning and all the Yankees moving down there would change the south. It was hard for me to believe at the time due to the assassination of the President, King and Bobby, etc. In addition, the place where I worked had 3 bathrooms, which was new to me. The porter gave me the skinny on that and also gave me a post-graduate level seminar on the south during the time I worked there. I know I should grow out of it but I still get suspicious when I hear that syrupy Big D drawl. But I'm glad it's all worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 07:27 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,123,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Got news for you.
The south hasn't been the south since the advent of the air conditioner.
LMAO. Good one, Tom D!

Now then, I don't know if this story is true or not. But it is something like an urban legend down here...

As it is told, there so goes the story that some legislator here in Texas -- back in the 30's or so -- introduced a "bill" to ban "refrigerated air-conditioners" within the confines of the state.

The rationale being that the said "new fangled thing" would be condusive for yankees to exist within.

I ain't gonna say nothin...!

Old 10-18-2008, 01:58 PM

835 posts, read 2,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I wish we could all ban together and get it all back
We should form some sort of campaign to get Kentucky come on down.

What I'm getting tired of is people "admitting" to Southern things. Why "admit" it? Be proud.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:59 PM

835 posts, read 2,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No kidding. And I'm a Chicago guy. Now, after 15 years, I really cringe when people move here and then instantly complain about things.

It takes everything I have to not say, "Well, has it occurred to you that if people down here did everything the way we did back up North, it would be identical to the hellhole you fled, except with warmer temperatures? No thanks."
Now you are my kind of transplant!

Old 10-18-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
We should form some sort of campaign to get Kentucky come on down.

What I'm getting tired of is people "admitting" to Southern things. Why "admit" it? Be proud.
Hell yeah GP! Be proud of it, you say? I am old enough to remember back in the 70's when the Charlie Daniels Band put that sentiment into music! Y'all remember this 'un?

YouTube - Charlie Daniels - Late 70's - The South's Gonna Do it Again

A campaign devoted to the same? I agree, and I even have a working acronym. Tell me what y'all think:

SOUTHRON (Southerners Out and Undertaking To Hereby Reorganize Our Nativity)

If it catches on? Then y'all heard it here first! If it bombs? Then y'all still heard it here first...but I will blame it on someone else...

Old 10-18-2008, 09:48 PM

514 posts, read 667,641 times
The South's "gonna" do what again?

Old 10-19-2008, 07:31 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,958,696 times
Quote:
I agree completely!

Old 10-19-2008, 07:32 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,958,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Hell yeah GP! Be proud of it, you say? I am old enough to remember back in the 70's when the Charlie Daniels Band put that sentiment into music! Y'all remember this 'un?

YouTube - Charlie Daniels - Late 70's - The South's Gonna Do it Again

A campaign devoted to the same? I agree, and I even have a working acronym. Tell me what y'all think:

SOUTHRON (Southerners Out and Undertaking To Hereby Reorganize Our Nativity)

If it catches on? Then y'all heard it here first! If it bombs? Then y'all still heard it here first...but I will blame it on someone else...

Yeah baby!!! LOL

Old 10-19-2008, 09:21 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,909,420 times
All I will say with Missouri is that except for areas in the far southern parts of the states, like Springfield and Joplin, Missouri is far from a thriving state. More people that I am aware of seem to be inclined to leave Missouri, not to go there. I have no idea why the journalist thought it was proper to include Missouri, as most of Missouri is not doing any better than its fellow Midwestern states.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Yeah baby!!! LOL
LOL I have been thinking though of changing "Reorganizing" to either "Reclaiming" or "Re-establishing" What do you think, hon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or