U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:16 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,224,200 times

Advertisements

^^ working in jerz and driving downtown - suicide

that' why i have to question cali & dc....i mean have the us news research experts factored in manhattan??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 10:10 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,354,733 times
Manhattan is worst....

LA and SF are best regions for car nuts....ideal weather, plenty of spacious and secure garages/valet parking in key locations, great topography for nearby fun wkend drives....

Old 10-17-2008, 07:56 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,788,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
New York City has eight million residents--not counting an additional three to four million who come here every day to work or visit. It's also got the largest urban transit system in the world, and the only one that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You're welcome to drive your car here, although it puts your sanity in question.
LOL. I actually enjoy driving in Manhattan, but I don't do it often. I'm definitely a different driver there, "take no prisoners" although you have to be, otherwise you'd get nowhere. I've driven in all the cities mentioned in this thread, and really, Manhattan is a completely different beast.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:38 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,061,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
New York City has eight million residents--not counting an additional three to four million who come here every day to work or visit. It's also got the largest urban transit system in the world, and the only one that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You're welcome to drive your car here, although it puts your sanity in question.
The transit system in Mpls/St Paul operates 24/7 also, and so does Chicago's and I belive San Franciso's. I'd find it hard to believe that many other metros don't also.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 AM

3,509 posts, read 7,322,950 times
New York City, LA, Chicago, and San Francisco.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:06 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,804,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
you dont want a car in boston, roads are very old and confusing. even locals still get lost regularly. and forget a GPS they dont work here because street names are used multiple times for different streets. go figure.
I second that! Boston and NYC. Everywhere else is manageable. In those two places, it's more of a headache to own a car.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:19 PM

312 posts, read 981,497 times
Definitely NYC... at least Manhattan.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:49 PM

905 posts, read 2,584,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Manhattan - the rest of the boroughs aren't that bad. Parking's atrocious and extremely expensive. Spots go for the 6 figures. You do not drive there unless you have to. Honestly, no other city comes close.
Agreed. If you own a car in Manhattan, you must be independently wealthy, if you use it to get around on a daily basis, you must be certifiably insane. You're equally insane if you commute to Manhattan via car every day.

I also agree that the outer boroughs are a different beast - in some parts of the outer boroughs, having a car is pretty much necessary, in others, a nice convenience but not a must, and in a few, nearly as crazy as it is in Manhattan. I'd say most of the outer boroughs fall into the second category, but it really depends on the area.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:30 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
The transit system in Mpls/St Paul operates 24/7 also, and so does Chicago's and I belive San Franciso's. I'd find it hard to believe that many other metros don't also.
I think there is some service in Denver 24/7.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:23 PM

9 posts, read 10,473 times
I know this is an old thread, but I wonder what people think in 2014.

My personal opinion:

Anyone that says Los Angeles isn't thinking about the whole problem, LA is built for the car and there is parking lots everywhere. As strange as it seems that is the most important aspect of car-friendliness. Theres nothing worse than driving to your destination and having to drive home after spending 30 minutes looking for a parking spot, and that doesn't happen in LA.

1. SF - no parking anywhere, residential or commercial when following traffic patterns and even at most other times. No point in driving downtown. More perplexing parking signs than any other city. A tow will run you $600 (500 tow + 100 ticket) and they are very liberal with their towing reasons. Roads are steep/narrow and left turns are essentially forbidden throughout the City. Recent stats say over 30% of the cars on the road at any time are scouring for a parking spot.

2. Manhattan - Only driven twice in Manhattan and I was surprised at how easy it was (not that it was a cakewalk, but I was expecting hell). No point driving to downtown/FIDI. The grid makes it much simpler. But cabs make it harder. In residential avenue in midtown I was able to easily find street parking at 9pm on a weeknight which surprised me. Tolls are expensive to get off the island. Many roads are very wide. No right turns on red.

3. Boston - Haven't driven in Boston proper in many years but I hear stories about how hellish it is. Traffic of Southern California with the smaller roads of an east coast city.

As far as 24 hour metro service, NYC is the only one that runs all lines 24/7. Chicago runs two of their lines (red and blue) 24/7. San Francisco has a fractious mass transit system, BART (serving the greater bay area) runs till midnight. MUNI (transit for SF proper) runs their busiest bus lines 24/7; no subways run overnight in SF.

Last edited by deff; 04-04-2014 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.