Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 09:44 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times

Advertisements

I think what makes California different is the snobbery. Californians believe their state is the best state, and everyone wants to live there and be just like them.

The other Western states have less of a snobbery, and less of an identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 09:51 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
This is a huge and vast region. I believe this topic has sort of been asked before, but anyhow. California has a fairly unique culture and identity, even with the inter-state cultural differences between the southern and northern portions and the rural and urban portions.

The other states have a unique culture that makes them different from each other, it just isn't as easy to generalize as somewhere like California which people generalize as "plastic, fake, Hispanic, liberal, tree huggers, over extended, etc..."

Old 10-15-2008, 09:57 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Let me start with the fact that more people live in California than all the other Western states combined.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:28 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I think what makes California different is the snobbery. Californians believe their state is the best state, and everyone wants to live there and be just like them.

The other Western states have less of a snobbery, and less of an identity.
That's a vast over generalization. Don't get me wrong, I love my home state, but I hardly think that everybody wants to live here. The 'snobbery' is contained to some very specific areas, and in fact where I live, many young people are very interested in the South because of its association with the rural lifestyle and down-home America (despite the fact that rural America is alive and well in California).

Culturally, California is very diverse, and has no individual identity by which you can accurately characterize it. Where I live is very rural, with lifted 4X4's, cowboys, and country music. Drive a few hours to The City however, and it's much, much different. L.A. is far different yet, as is San Diego. Go to rural coastal towns and you'll find yet an entirely different way of living. As a general rule, the further south you go, the bigger influence Hispanic culture has on life. No two towns are the same.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:45 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
So many Californians [and there are a lot of them] are moving to neighboring states that over time, it's neighbors will more and more resemble California. It's inevitable.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:58 AM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
So many Californians [and there are a lot of them] are moving to neighboring states that over time, it's neighbors will more and more resemble California. It's inevitable.
Very true -

It is not fair to overgeneralize California and state that it is snobbery that sets it apart from other Western states because of its pride. Come visit Scottsdale, and you'll see the apple doesn't fall far from the so-called tree. I think Californians are pretty easy going and easy to talk to compared to my own personal experiences w/ certain cities to the east.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:12 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Very true -

It is not fair to overgeneralize California and state that it is snobbery that sets it apart from other Western states because of its pride. Come visit Scottsdale, and you'll see the apple doesn't fall far from the so-called tree. I think Californians are pretty easy going and easy to talk to compared to my own personal experiences w/ certain cities to the east.

Arizona is culturally so similar to California. Oregon and Washington have a pride that's quite different and distinct.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:44 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Arizona is culturally so similar to California. Oregon and Washington have a pride that's quite different and distinct.

AZ is culturally similar to Southern CA and OR and WA are culturally similar Northern CA.

Also Californians have pride just like people in every other state, but for some reason people like you label that as "snobbery", talk about a double standard.

I don't get it with people like you who leave CA then keep trying to trash talk it down. Do you it to make you feel better about where you have to live now?

Old 10-16-2008, 12:57 PM

204 posts, read 751,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
AZ is culturally similar to Southern CA and OR and WA are culturally similar Northern CA.
Thats always what I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.