U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:05 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,353,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
America basically walks around in a drunken stupor. Maybe not as much as England, or even France with its wine, or Germany, but we're pretty much a nation of borrachos.
I agree.. Visit any college town once the sun sets and you will see hoards of college aged kids (some high schoolers as well) and people in the under 35 crowd all heading to the bars, clubs, parties, etc. I know thats where I'll be in about two hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 06:22 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,655,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
I just wanted to know what is the attitude towards alcohol in US.
It seems that generally it is frowned up when someone is drinking in America.
But I think it can be fun to drink sometimes some beer. So - opinions please.

P.S. I'm not American.
Nowadays (unlike 30 years ago), drinking is frowned upon at business lunches. Other than that, Americans embrace drinking pretty wholeheartedly. All you need to do is set foot on a college campus on a Saturday night to find hundreds if not thousands of underage kids completely wasted.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:51 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,229,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
It seems that generally it is frowned up when someone is drinking in America.
I don't know where you came up with this idea but, if it was "frowned on", there would not be so many bars and sports bars - filled with patrons - drinking

Old 10-21-2008, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,932 times
Ironically the bible has more acts of drunkenness

Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,400,541 times
I've noticed a few people from New York City and the east coast making comments that Europeans drink more than Americans, and people don't get drunk that much in America.

I think this is definitely a regional thing. I've been to 24 countries in Europe going out drinking, and people in the Midwest DEFINITELY drink a lot more than Europeans. I think Midwesterners hands down drink more than any other region in the country.

I had a few coworkers from Seattle and California come to visit, and from meeting friends who came to Chicago from New York, every single one of them made comments in awe of how much people in Chicago drink. They were kinda blown away.

Maybe it's just up on the north side of the city, but I find all my friends and coworkers go out and get totally blasted at least 3 days a week. I probably go out 4 days a week.

Back in Iowa as well my parents, all their friends and all my friends were all huge drinkers. In college everyone in my dorm went out Tuesday, and then Thursday through Sunday nights. I always remember my parents having huge tailgating parties till 3-4am during the football season. It always got crazy.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 10-22-2008 at 08:28 AM..

Old 10-22-2008, 09:14 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,949,725 times
I don't think it's fair to compare the alcohol consumption of college students with the general population. People do all sorts of excessive things (sex and drugs, as well as alcohol) in college, but tend to moderate very quickly once they have a job and/or family. If everyone partied like a college student all the time, the national life expectancy rate would drop to 45.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:24 AM

7,279 posts, read 13,539,680 times
There are certainly groups among whom alcohol is frowned upon. You're more likely to find these people in parts of the South, or in Utah/Idaho (where Mormonism is common).

However, in most parts of the US, beer is welcome!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:43 AM

19,121 posts, read 26,711,572 times
I have a few alcoholics in my family, so I generally keep the drinking to a minimum. I also live near a university and constantly seeing stupid drunk kids stumbling around keeps me sober I did my share of drinking, but for the past 2 or 3 years it's been the occasional glass of wine with dinner, and once in a while I'll have a couple of beers with the guys, but if I'm going to drink, it's going to be GOOD beer.... no natural ice or Coors for me

Old 10-22-2008, 10:00 AM

8,927 posts, read 13,689,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've noticed a few people from New York City and the east coast making comments that Europeans drink more than Americans, and people don't get drunk that much in America.
I wouldn't say people don't get drunk that much in America but the UK is known to have a real binge drinking problem, there's campaigns and everything to combat it. It's regarded as a bigger problem than it is even in the States. But that doesn't mean drunkenness isn't common in the US.

And even drinking casually is more common in the UK. Over here, you can order wine and champagne at Pizza Hut! You don't find that at Pizza Hut's in the States. Drinking and getting drunk is common in the States but the general attitude towards alcohol in the UK is very different.

And keep in mind that I'm an American and I come from a family that is very liberal with their alcohol. We've had several alcoholics in our family but as my British husband points out "what you (ie, Americans) call an alcoholic is not necessarily alcoholism to us (the English)." A family event in my family simply does not occur without alcohol and the parents in my family are okay with letting their children take a sip of alcohol to curb their curiousity. Yet I STILL found the UK to be even more laid back and liberal with regards to their alcohol. According to wikipedia, children in the UK over 5 years old are legally allowed to drink alcohol in private. Children aged 16 and over are allowed to consume beer or cider with a meal if an adult orders it. Although I don't necessarily have a problem with these laws, they are quite shocking in comparison to the strictly 21+ laws in the States.

There is a definite difference in the attitude towards alcohol but I would not say that people don't get drunk much in America or that drinking is looked down on.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,560,156 times
I quit drinking years ago for health reason but all in all it's not frowned upon.
I didn't know that Pizza Hut quit selling beer? But then I do a lot of take out or delivery so I never noticed.

Obnoxous drunks...yes but not the drink itself

The OP sure seems to like to lump all kinds of people together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or